0 0%
  • YPG and SDF

1 7.69%
  • ISIS

0 0%
  • None/other

6 46.15%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The war in/on Syria, who do you support?

Type
    Xxxx

The war in/on Syria, who do you support?

And why?
    ni patrie ni patron

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I support the integrity of Syria and the Syrian State's efforts to preserve it, even if that means militarily aligning oneself with government forces.

Edit: That does not equal a political endorsement of the regime.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I support Assad and his British first lady, plus he has great taste in music. New Order and Right said fred? - c'mon, what's a few women and children as collateral damage for someone with such great taste in women and music.
    Fuck those war lords, supposedly doing it in the name of religion right out of there.
    The US doesn't ever seem to have a clue which horse to back in these matters (they should never have got rid of Saddam), but that's probably their policy, keep the region in conflict and destabilized. Works well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...be-videos.html

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Um, just to clarify, this is roughly contemplated in trotskyist political strategy (particularly in Trotsky's writings on Latin American dictatorships). The general idea is that in the face of a territorial threat or invasion supported by imperialist powers, regardless of which monster is at the country's helm, a defeat of the regime would doubly oppress its citizens in the long run. On the other hand, a triumph of the national defense would necessitate a nation-wide mobilization that should embolden citizens to go after their own oppressors (the regime).
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    YPG seem like the only party in the fight with a coherent ideology/agenda that isn't horrifying. (Actually, that's faint praise--from what I understand, they're remarkably progressive even by "Western" standards, let alone the Middle East.)

I guess I think it would be nice to see them come out of this with an opportunity to form a government of some sort within a sustainable chunk of territory over which they have actual autonomous control--and under conditions where there's actual peace between them and at least the regime.

I don't know how much chance there is of that happening, though. It seems to me that US government policy toward them has never been aimed at anything much different than the (IMO pretty shameful) way that the Kurdish population in Iraq were used as expendable allies of convenience for about a decade--part of which was it being convenient to US interests specifically to keep them in a de facto state of war against the Hussein regime--and then effectively thrown under the bus for the sake of a "unity government" that would let the Arabs keep drilling their oil after the "regime change."

(I protested against the invasion, and I still think it was a terrible idea and should not have happened in the first place--but after it had already happened anyway, I'm half-inclined to think partitioning the country into 3 different wholly independent states might have caused less mayhem and misery than the attempt to keep it together and ensuing power struggles over control of the whole thing.)

Prospects seem more than a bit diminished with the Turks directly involved.

I don't think I "support" anybody else. FSA seems like a joke that exists more as a US propaganda canard than a real military organization. I consider the regime's actions in Aleppo morally equivalent to what the Israelis do to Gaza on a regular basis. (This isn't a compliment.)

Nusra and ISIS are full of people who seem to want to come over here and blow me up, though--so from that perspective they're the ones I have the most interest in seeing destroyed.

I don't support a US intervention to depose Assad (or a "humanitarian intervention" clearly bound, if not in fact designed, to escalate into that)--but not because I "support" Assad.

I don't. Fuck Assad.

Free Kurdistan.

Last edited by Roger Mexico; 12-24-2016 at 03:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    intp
    Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.
    "Doesn't matter what a man has if he doesn't have purpose. You take that away from him, man usually goes with it." -Beau

Type
    INTP
    I voted none/other but mainly because I can't tell. I've come to the conclusion everyone in the Middle East is bat shit crazy and beyond my comprehension. It's like trying to figure out how people thought in medieval times.

Type
    iNtP
    Idaho... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    INTPx Award Winner
    i support whatever lets the civilians rebuild and lead/peaceful fulfilling lives... oh, and fuck isis...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

Type
    Xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Um, just to clarify, this is roughly contemplated in trotskyist political strategy (particularly in Trotsky's writings on Latin American dictatorships). The general idea is that in the face of a territorial threat or invasion supported by imperialist powers, regardless of which monster is at the country's helm, a defeat of the regime would doubly oppress its citizens in the long run. On the other hand, a triumph of the national defense would necessitate a nation-wide mobilization that should embolden citizens to go after their own oppressors (the regime).
    But isn't this how the soviet revolution, the chinese revolution and the paris commune began? It's an opprtunity to overthrow the bourgeois state. Supporting it would embolden the state rather than the people.
    I can't think of an instance in history where supporting the bourgeois state against imperialism was a successful strategy for the people.
    ni patrie ni patron

Type
    Xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    I support Assad and his British first lady, plus he has great taste in music. New Order and Right said fred? - c'mon, what's a few women and children as collateral damage for someone with such great taste in women and music.
    Fuck those war lords, supposedly doing it in the name of religion right out of there.
    The US doesn't ever seem to have a clue which horse to back in these matters (they should never have got rid of Saddam), but that's probably their policy, keep the region in conflict and destabilized. Works well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...be-videos.html
    They should have never supported saddam in the first place. Every shift they took since then was more destructive and devastating than the previous one.
    ni patrie ni patron