Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Four types of introversion

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Four types of introversion

I recently came across this article about some efforts to break down introversion into four categories based on motivation and attitude toward others. You can take this test to see where you fit into these categories.

What do you think? Does breaking introversion down into more nuanced categories improve on things?

Type
    iNtP
    Idaho... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    INTPx Award Winner
    i like it...

i took the test

Spoiler: results
    You're mostly a Thinking Introvert

As a thinking introvert, you’re introspective and spend a lot of time in your own head. You have a rich inner life, pay attention to your feelings, and often think about what kind of person you are.

Some tests that measure introversion and extraversion might have trouble placing you, or even tell you you’re an extravert instead of an introvert. But you’re just a different kind of introvert to the one most people are used to. For one thing, thinking introverts don’t necessarily have the same aversion to social events that other kinds of introverts do (though some of them do).
    But you're also a Social Introvert

As a social introvert, you genuinely prefer to spend time on your own, or in smaller groups of close friends. Social introverts don’t sit at home wishing they had the confidence to go out, they really would prefer to hang out with their book on a Saturday night than be in a crowded bar.

You tend to prefer chilled out holidays where you can live by your own schedule and get in some quality quiet time. If you do go out to a party, you’ll need to recharge your energy levels by spending time alone afterwards, even if you enjoyed yourself.

my own analysis would be that i am mostly a thinking introvert... restrained would also rank high... i think that i may appear as a social introvert, but it would be more accurate to say that i my social "needs" are few... i can be satisfied with only my own company for long periods, but i can be satisfied in a group also... i would deal with solitary confinement better than most people i know...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

Type
    INfj
    Personality is a nuanced thing after all. I'm not sure that making more boxes is necessarily the way to do that but it can be helpful to highlight individual differences in experiences of introversion. That way, people can feel less pressure to judge themselves by a singular 'introvert' archetype.
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

dormant
    Type
    xxxx
    You're mostly a Social Introvert

As a social introvert, you genuinely prefer to spend time on your own, or in smaller groups of close friends. Social introverts don’t sit at home wishing they had the confidence to go out, they really would prefer to hang out with their book on a Saturday night than be in a crowded bar.

You tend to prefer chilled out holidays where you can live by your own schedule and get in some quality quiet time. If you do go out to a party, you’ll need to recharge your energy levels by spending time alone afterwards, even if you enjoyed yourself.

But you're also a Restrained Introvert

As a restrained introvert, you take things at your own pace, and tend to be a bit slower to get going than other people – you’re not the kind of person who jumps out of bed in the morning and is immediately raring to go.

You prefer to think before you speak and to plan things, rather than spontaneously deciding to do something “crazy”.
    my preferred activities probably reflect this, so fine

i do relate to being a "classic" introvert, like it has nothing to do with anxiety or self-consciousness or lack of social skills

Type
    INTP
    Pretty accurate. Thinking introvert, but also restrained.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    my preferred activities probably reflect this, so fine
    I got the same except inverted, primarily a "restrained" introvert.

I am however starting to doubt this whole introvert thing. Some of the things I readily identified with 10 or 15 years ago seem to not fit me anymore, and the questions on that test reminded me of that.

For example, feeling drained by social interaction. I don't think that is my case. I think that when it's with people I enjoy or find interesting, it energizes me more than it drains me. I'm not sure why I always thought the contrary in the past. I think I complain a lot about going to social events, but that's especially because I really, REALLY enjoy my solitude and my solitary activities.

Another one is being introspective. I can't say that I am. Sure, I spend a lot of time in my head, but thinking about myself is not an interesting topic to me. Analyzing my emotions is something I find tedious. Analyzing my morals, principles and ideas is something that, at this point in my life, I only do in the event of a conflict.

So, I dunno what kind of introvert I am. I think it would be a huge stretch to call myself an extrovert. Sometimes I wonder if I gravitated towards that definition because I have a twin sister who is very... conversationally imposing. She really loves to talk and I really love to listen (not to her though, LOL). Sometimes I find her excessive talk to be anti-social.

I don't know. I just really like doing things alone. Maybe the people who know me personally here can let me know how introverted they think I am, I rarely ask people for their opinion, ha.

Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    I took the test at the bottom of the article, and scored 40/40/40/20 on Thinking/Social/Restained/Anxious.

The test in the link I got mostly Social but also Thinking. I think an answer or two slightly different might have flipped that around. It seems relatively accurate to my self assessment.

Per @Madrigal, I don't really spend that much time thinking about myself, but I spend lots of time in my heading thinking about how things are and trying to understand why they might be the way they are. I'll call that the "Thinking" introvert style, but it doesn't quite agree with the definition in the article which seems to have over emphasized self reflection vs reflection on the wider world IMO.

Maybe this needs to go hand in glove with MBTI. As an INTP I'm an analytical introvert, but I could see an ISFJ doing a whole boatload of self reflection on their emotional state and/or the way they feel things affect them emotionally. Or an ISTP just spending all his days in solitary mode in his workshop or doing whatever his hobbies are.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    Per @Madrigal, I don't really spend that much time thinking about myself, but I spend lots of time in my heading thinking about how things are and trying to understand why they might be the way they are. I'll call that the "Thinking" introvert style, but it doesn't quite agree with the definition in the article which seems to have over emphasized self reflection vs reflection on the wider world IMO.
    Agreed. I would not call this "introspection". Nor would I call it "having a rich inner world".
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INxP
    I kinda get the point that there's like different flavours of introversion but I don't get why that suddenly becomes four. The whole thing just seems arbitrary, like there's some grain of truth there but then it gets discretised into this arbitrary resolution. I dunno. It's not very different from MTBI I guess, like it's sort of interesting but still sort of unsatisfying.

Spoiler: my result

I guess I do think about myself a lot but often in relation to how other people will act or something. Or at least I think it's a big goal of mine to understand myself as a way to understand others or something. Or maybe I'm just self-centred.

Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I don't know. I just really like doing things alone. Maybe the people who know me personally here can let me know how introverted they think I am, I rarely ask people for their opinion, ha.
    On the surface, I think you come across as more introverted in real life than on the forum to the extent that I thougt that that aspect was the most different between rl-you and Madrigal when I first met you. Some of your body language reads quite introverted, like you don't make eye contact too much. And you express a lot more uncertainty in real life than on the forum. I think that's just more an indicator of how you select what you post.

I don't think you're all that introverted though. Maybe you're like an extrovert trapped in an introvert's body or something?

(It's actually a tough question. )

Type
    iNtP
    Idaho... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Agreed. I would not call this "introspection". Nor would I call it "having a rich inner world".
    i spend as much time reflecting on my own actions/motivations as those of others... i feel like that is important (for me), otherwise i am likely to act like some sort of asshole and lose sight of my goals... i don't think i would call it a "rich inner world" either... i think an understanding of self is as of much value as an understanding of others (or of the nature of reality)...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie