Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Trans-racial"

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

"Trans-racial"

I'm still forming my opinion about this. I'm interested in hearing what all you smarty-pants' out there have to say.

Someone I know brought up an interesting point about something I have never put any thought into before:

Remember about a year and a half ago Rachel Dolezal aka the white woman who identified as being black? She said she felt frustrated having a white "biological identity thrust upon" her.

The world laughed at her.

But wait a second... is that fundamentally different from being trans-gendered? Trans-gendered people say very similar, if not identical, things about themselves.

...and isn't every person on the planet ultimately the descendant of someone who was of a different race?

Race (literally) isn't black and white, so why are our labels for them so rigid? Why do we laugh at people who decide to not identify with the labels typically associated with how they look?

Why does it matter so damn much that we identify with our "race"? Is it because in a situation with a 'trans-racial' person the people of the 'other' race feel it's an undeserved 'title'? That that person doesn't *really* have to walk in the shoes of that race? By that reasoning any trans-gendered person that doesn't come out of the closet until adulthood wouldn't have a 'valid perspective' on what it's like to be the gender they identify with (and that doesn't make sense to me, I'll elaborate on that if people are interested).

Do we laugh at the idea of someone being 'trans-racial' because it would imply that there is some mental distinction between the races? <-which is subsequently racist

If so, is it subsequently sexist to say there's a mental distinction between genders? (For those of you who say, obviously there are mental distinctions between the genders... I'm a cis-gender woman that was constantly mistaken for a man on this forum (and the old one) for years, so I question how "distinct" it is so much as most humans having a tendency to be weak minded and falling into whatever stereotypes society says they're supposed to (this isn't to say that gender roles *haven't ever* served our species well in any way, but I think you get my point).

I hope this doesn't get out of control.... this is a sincere intellectual inquiry

Type
    xxxx
    "I fucking hate the cold!" - Wim Hof

art and flowers: https://www.instagram.com/cloudlilt/

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I think that Dolzeal woman should be force fed mayonnaise and starbucks spiced pumpkin lattes.
    Chris Brown did nothing wrong

Type
    INTP
    If someone wants their culture club to be exclusive to a skin colour, gender, place of birth or whatever, then fuck'em. That attitude keeps people apart.

Type
    INTP
    I'm yellow on the inside and white on the outside but don't have a food product to compare myself to. Help!

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    I'm yellow on the inside but white on the outside yet don't have a food product to compare myself to. Help!
    Humpty Dumpty - he was an egg wasn't he.
    Chris Brown did nothing wrong

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    Humpty Dumpty - he was an egg wasn't he.
    Eggcellent suggestion.

DOA Space Invaders Champion Neville's Avatar
    Type
    Taur
    Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    I'm yellow on the inside and white on the outside but don't have a food product to compare myself to. Help!
    “Then there you lie like the one warm spark in the heart of an arctic crystal.”

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    I am white but I do have a bit of a tan, so a jam filled doughnut might work.

Type
    INTP
    @Sloth
    I agree with you that one trans is not more silly than the other.
    But, to me, both ideas are nonsense.

To you other point:
    I think if the genes are different, everything is going to be different.... But it's really a matter of degrees. Both nature and nurture are very important. Anyway, there's no such thing as a child raised in a vacuum, so it's not like we can precisely separate the two.
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.