Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bless You? No, Thank You.

Type
    ENTP

Bless You? No, Thank You.

You know what I just realized today?

Saying "bless you" or "gesundheit" when someone sneezes is really stupid. Like really really stupid. You don't say something when people cough. It's someone else's bodily function, why am I commenting on it? And now they have to thank me afterwards? No, this is silly. Never again.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Polemarch View Post

Saying "bless you" or "gesundheit" when someone sneezes is really stupid. Like really really stupid. You don't say something when people cough. It's someone else's bodily function, why am I commenting on it? And now they have to thank me afterwards? No, this is silly. Never again.
    Sneezes are the most demonic of bodily functions. I'm surprised that most people just say "bless you" and leave it at that. Exorcisms should be the norm, like CPR.

Type
    INTP

YES! It is stupid. This has always bothered me so I tend not to say it, but then sometimes people think I'm being rude. Now when people sneeze I just this weird anxiety because I don't want to say "bless you" but if I don't they might think I'm rude. I'm not trying to be rude, it's just never made sense to me. I've told people this before and they've looked at me like I'm nuts.

Type
    xxxx

i went a few years without saying anything, but now i just give in and don't give it a second thought. i don't have the energy to deal with people thinking i'm some kind of super bitch for something like that. i guess it just looks strange and bitter from the outside. also, i was confused as fuck when somebody first said "gesundheit" to me 'cause i don't know german or understand german customs. i don't know why the german response is "mainstream"? oh well, at least i don't care now.

Type
    ENTP
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    i went a few years without saying anything, but now i just give in and don't give it a second thought. i don't have the energy to deal with people thinking i'm some kind of super bitch for something like that. i guess it just looks strange and bitter from the outside. also, i was confused as fuck when somebody first said "gesundheit" to me 'cause i don't know german or understand german customs. i don't know why the german response is "mainstream"? oh well, at least i don't care now.
    This occurred to me today because the woman who sits across the aisle from me sneezed, and I was the only person who said "bless you". And I don't even like her. And I wondered, these people are her team mates, why can't they say "bless you"? I don't even work with them. So I made the decision, then and there, no more. Not again. Maybe if my girlfriend sneezes, I'll say something, but that's it. Line in the sand. Drawn.

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I've never said "bless you" and if people say it to me I just ignore it. Is this the kind of thing people notice? Am I offending people?

Type
    ENTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    I've never said "bless you" and if people say it to me I just ignore it. Is this the kind of thing people notice? Am I offending people?
    Oh, if you don't say "thank you" back? Yeah, you're probably pissing people off. It's a stupid ritual anyway, but if someone goes out on a limb and says "bless you", the universally agreed upon expectation is that you acknowledge it in some way. It doesn't necessarily have to be "thank you", because I agree, it's insipid to thank someone for saying something meaningless and idiotic to you in the first place. But some kind of acknowledgement, like a head nod, or a low guttural grunt, or a comment on how "I just can't stop sneezing today" or "they need to clean out the vents in this building" is required. Otherwise, you're a dick. A big, massive, dick that everyone hates.

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Well shit. Guess I better make sure to show my appreciation when someone calls extra attention to my involuntary public exclamation.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    i went a few years without saying anything, but now i just give in and don't give it a second thought. i don't have the energy to deal with people thinking i'm some kind of super bitch for something like that.
    Me too. I took a global awareness class at work a couple years ago that went over stuff like this. It's a cultural ritual, like "how are you". They don't actually want to know how you are, and the only correct response is to say "fine, how are you?" or something equally innocuous. It's just what you do, kind of like shaking hands when you're introduced to someone. You can either subscribe or mark yourself as an outsider to the prevailing culture. In other words: they're testing you to see if you're one of them.

it's ok to not go to a wedding when you get the invitation late and you're just a second-stringer friend, right? good because i didn't buy a gift.