Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are some people seduced by authoritarian leaders?

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner

Why are some people seduced by authoritarian leaders?

Is it weakness -- someone who is angry and helpless? Desperation?

Or is it admiration; is the leader idolized and perhaps seen as a model, like a "When I grow up I wanna...be like Trump!" adult version.

Which is scarier?

Personally, I am wary of the wanna-be folks. They may never hit it big, but I am fairly certain they entertain themselves day-to-day by humiliating clerks and honking loudly at homeless people crossing the street.

Am I off base?

Type
    Xxxx
    I find it's subservient people who are fascinated by authoritarianism. Now i had plenty of conversations with Marxists-Leninists/stalinists, and they call themselves Authoritarians by association, which is dumbfounding.

When it comes to idolizing right-wing leaders, the need for submission to a leader is more obvious. But i still believe authoritarianism is authoritarianism.
    ni patrie ni patron

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    About Christians:
    Romans 13:1
    "Everyone must submit to governing authorities, for those in positions of authority have been placed there by God."
    http://www.thebricktestament.com/epi...1_rm13_01.html

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    ^
    See, that is what I used to think. But, white supremacists and their ilk are not weak -- at least they don't feel it -- for some of them, violence provides a rush. I can't imagine such aggressive people gravitating toward an Obama, a Bush, or even a McCain. Trump's crowd cheered when he said something like "he liked people who weren't captured," or something like that.

The crowd cheered. My fists clinched in rage.

I don't see those people as weak followers.

-
    Type
    xxxx
    "Authoritarian" would have to be defined. Not every politician with clear-cut principles is authoritarian. Further, I'd strongly suggest that which target group is particularly drawn to someone depends on the person of the leader.

As for Trump, I don't really get it. Nobody can find that man likeable or pleasant. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how a business/real estate tycoon and multimillionaire managed to paint himself as the voice of the "ordinary people".

Here, it is mostly the European left that is drawn to authoritarian leaders, and for one reason: they see that their general philosophy doesn't apply anymore, and that they're losing ground, fast. The only way to stall their downfall is to hoist as many authoritarian leaders into office before it all comes crashing down, leaders who make Count Metternich look like an altar boy. For instance, Angela Merkel recently gave a speech in the German Bundestag about how the internet effectively needs to be censored, supported by Goebb Heiko Maas, minister of justice. Meanwhile in Austria, a law against so-called online "hate speech" has been passed this year, "hate speech" being defined fuzzily enough to take people to court who post dissenting opinions on social networks such as Facebook. Those court cases generally result in either jail terms or financial penalties astronomical enough to wreck people's livelihood.

Of course, all of this ties in with a development the European left has been undermining for years, and that is the expansion of direct democracy. Most center-right parties in Europe have that in their programs, often as a central pillar. The "left" just doesn't. They just want to cling on to power, no matter what.

NB. I'm putting "left" in quotation marks here because I really think the left has betrayed all its original sensible ideas, and turned on its own principles. At least in Europe they're far closer to authoritarianism than most right-wing parties.

Type
    Xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    ^
    See, that is what I used to think. But, white supremacists and their ilk are not weak -- at least they don't feel it -- for some of them, violence provides a rush. I can't imagine such aggressive people gravitating toward an Obama, a Bush, or even a McCain. Trump's crowd cheered when he said something like "he liked people who weren't captured," or something like that.

The crowd cheered. My fists clinched in rage.

I don't see those people as weak followers.
    Forget about them being individually strong or weak. They find their strength through a force external to themselves and are themselves only powerful through it, hence they are cogs in the authoritarian machine. Of course they don't think of themselves as weak or subservient. But they are basically minions with no sense of agency.
    ni patrie ni patron

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Not many people were"seduced" by Trump, he remains one of the most unpopular candidates ever to run. It's just that we only got two choices and the other one also sucked.

-
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    Not many people were"seduced" by Trump, he remains one of the most unpopular candidates ever to run. It's just that we only got two choices and the other one also sucked.
    I think that's the explanation that makes the most sense.

Type
    XXXX
    "When their efforts to act responsibly are frustrated, when they find themselves unable to use their faculties, people suffer. "This suffering due to impotence is rooted in the very fact that the human has been disturbed." (5) But the inability to act which people's anguish also causes them to reject their impotence, by attempting

. . . .to restore [their] capacity to act. But can [they], and how? One way is to submit to and identify with a person or group having power. By this symbolic participation in another person's life, (men have] the illusion of acting, when in reality [they] only submit to and become a part of those who act. (6)

Populist manifestations perhaps best exemplify this type of behavior by the oppressed, who, by identifying with charismatic leaders, come to feel that they themselves are active and effective. The rebellion they express as they emerge in the historical process is motivated by that desire to act effectively. The dominant elites consider the remedy to be more domination and repression, carried out in the name of freedom, order, and social peace (that is, the peace of the elites). Thus they can condemn -- logically, from their point of view -- "the violence of a strike by workers and [can] call upon the state in the same breath to use violence in putting down the strike."

Paulo Friere "Pedagogy of the Oppressed."

Type
    xxxx
    it's no surprise when people are told their entire lives to submit to a greater authority, to god & religion, to law, to employers and bosses, to even teachers to get a good grade. we are conditioned to have no faith in ourselves, to not think for ourselves. the most "obvious" answer is cuz one's livelihood is at stake & when one rebels one risks losing everything.

submission is normalized & rewarded. it's not even seen as such, it's considered having good values / morals most of the time. it is what's "respectable."

with trump, i think it's cuz people can tell something is "wrong" with our system, but don't know what to do. most trump supporters i've talked to are not political. they just have/had a desire to see things shaken up.