Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy works

Type
    INTP

Fantasy works

Describe the novel, film, game or music you write in your fantasies.

Infrequently, I catch myself daydreaming about the kind of movie I would produce (though usually just music). It's pointless, recreational musing. It will never lead to anything except wasted time. But that doesn't keep me from dreaming up some truly pulp fiction while waiting around. I tend to dwell mostly on look and feel, or the manner in which characters interact, rather than plot points (e.g. Twin Peaks camp, or Scorsese mobster-speak). I think master-shots are underrated, and film music is overdone. I don't have any idea to share, but I figure a cocktail of money, power, and lies is a sure thing. I've read that House of Cards was built on stats, and it sure as hell worked.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Abstract, postmodern art films.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Some sort of epic spanning millenia. Either future or past. I don't mean to say that it's fleshed out or that I've created a universe or anything, but if I was ever going to "create" something, it would be something like that.

Something on the chronology scale of Dune, but more about the evolution between then and now.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    i can imagine a few different approaches i'd take to writing a film. one, i'd probably have this tendency to build a story (or significant parts of a story) around the potential for striking visuals. i imagine i'd like playing with color and light and would spend a lot of time planning out which details and textures i'd feature in a scene. two, the film would be more driven by the psychology of characters and complexity of storytelling than the plot. little marketing potential, high experimentation.

...i should write something.

Pan_Sonic_000
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I tend to dwell mostly on look and feel, or the manner in which characters interact, rather than plot points (e.g. Twin Peaks camp, or Scorsese mobster-speak). I think master-shots are underrated, and film music is overdone.
    Agreed about the overuse of film music. Next time you (anyone reading this) watches a film, take note of how it's used almost constantly in many films nowadays. And by almost constant, I mean it literally. Almost every fucking minute of the movie. It's annoying to me because it's like I'm not allowed to generate my own emotional response to anything; I have to be boxed in via this stupid score that reinforces how I'm supposed to feel. Sometimes silence is the loudest sound of all...

As far as plot points, Stanley Kubrick said something similar:

A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later.

Type
    INTP
    I've always thought it would be fun to take a downtrodden character and give them super use of their brain through some experimental stuff. Mental incredible hulk.

Pan_Sonic_000
    Quote Originally Posted by 99Problems View Post
    I've always thought it would be fun to take a downtrodden character and give them super use of their brain through some experimental stuff. Mental incredible hulk.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan_Sonic_000 View Post
    <Phenomena>
    Which is kind of like a spin on "Flowers for Algernon".

I thought of "Limitless" as well.

Type
    INTP
    Turned out to be a decent Idea I guess.

Type
    INTP
    I'm in the middle of two projects, one being an epic fantasy series that ended up getting to intricate in the system of cultural interactions and plot that my friend and I have never finished Draft #2 (which should have been written years ago).

The other is kind of like "Wrinkle in Time" meets "The Talisman" + "The Sandman."