• I disagree

8 42.11%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Death penalty for Charleston shooter

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Death penalty for Charleston shooter

Quoting The Guardian because the NYT and WP are stingy bastards about free reading

Continued to defend his actions til the end. What do you do with someone like that?
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I mean, legally speaking it's pretty much a textbook case of the most "aggravated" form of murder anyone could possibly be charged with, so logically in a state that assigns the death penalty to those cases it's pretty obvious.

Personally, I'm categorically anti-death penalty so in my personal opinion, no, he should get life in prison. (Or, ideally, 20 years at sentencing followed by psychiatric evals at the end of the sentence to determine level of threat still posed to the public as a basis for whether or not to extend his imprisonment--what Breivik got in Norway.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    intp
    I just hope they do it sooner than later.
    "Doesn't matter what a man has if he doesn't have purpose. You take that away from him, man usually goes with it." -Beau

Type
    INTP
    My instinct is to remove him from the human family via death.

Keeping someone alive in prison seems beside the point.

I don't have a solid line of reasoning for this.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    xxxx
    i'm against the death penalty but i'm not grieving for him.

Type
    INTP
    Also against death penalty, though were I supreme arbiter of the natural world I'd give him the treatment Leiden got after Münster Rebellion.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP
    I'm for the death penalty. Eye for an eye.

Type
    INTP
    I am personally very murky on death penalty yea or nay and would appreciate others present expounding on their positions.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    I am personally very murky on death penalty yea or nay and would appreciate others present expounding on their positions.
    In this case, or generally? The general case would be a Philosophy thread, I think.

In this case, to me, even just a cursory glance over the facts makes it abundantly clear: this person deserves death. If I had my way, a painful, suffering, drawn-out death. Draw out from him every agonizing drop of pain that he's wrought upon others, and then terminate the destructive, pathetic waste of life that he is.

Why? Justice proper. To explain fully would be a whole treatise and out of place here.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    This whole "value of life" thing is pretty new in the human race. If you go back to just 1900, people who didn't want their kids could just walk away from them, if you were a kid without parents, you could sort of find a home the way cats do, and there were trains of starving orphans being hired out to do shit labor. Before that, if you pissed off a noble, he could stick a sword through your eye and trample you and everyone who wasn't related to you would just shrug. Horse theives, runaway slaves, people suspected of witchcraft because they didn't get smallpox like everyone else or because they refused to sleep with the vicar, and any other number of people could be hanged, burned, or murdered publically without any due process. While I enjoy putting on medeival clothes and bashing people with rattan swords as much as the next nerd, I don't actually want to live in that world. The only people who didn't have a total shit life then were the ones who were surrounded by and accepted by enough kinsmen with enough power, and then only as long as they didn't rock the boat. The problem with this kind of world is that the number of people and groups who don't give a flying fuck what happens to you outnumber those who will go to bat for you a billion to one. We have to give a fuck about john q assholes life because we need a billion john q. assholes to give a fuck about ours. So now the death penalty is pretty rare and there is a lot of courtroom stuff and handwringing involved. It isn't the same as a lynching, but it does trace it's roots back to it. Even if you never actually make it through the process to the end, the life of a death row inmate amounts to torture.

I do not care if this guy is dead. I think the world would be better off without him. But I don't want to live in a society where the death penalty is no big deal. I think he can be executed without that happening...but where do you draw the line. Like most things, I can sort of see both sides. I can see why we might enjoy killing the fuck out of this asshole, but I can also see how it is one tiny microstep in the wrong direction.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle