Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reasons I should not be considered an adult.

Type
    intp

Reasons I should not be considered an adult.

The university's Nurse Line recommended that I go to ER for my shoulder pain, but instead I call my boyfriend to bring me some kind of muscle relaxer that makes him "a little groggy" the next day. Tomorrow is the first day of class for my last semester. I guess I'll go to the school's urgent care center instead.

"I tried to take more pain killer, doctor, but it really hurt to hold the pipe that high."

What makes you feel less-than-adult?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Oh does doctor avoidance make one not an adult? Then I'm so not an adult right now.

Type
    ENTP
    On the aside of doctor avoidance - what are you people so unnerved by? Is it just that you don't like asking a stranger to help you? Or do you think they're trying to hurt you?

Go to the doctor, get their opinion, if their recommendation makes sense, follow it. If they prescribe something, google it before you fill the prescription. If they recommend something you don't agree with, disregard it.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Senior Member Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    infj
    ^ my hesitancy was because I didn't want a permanent record established of how crazy i really am. So much for that security clearance now.

Type
    intp
    I tend to associate muscle relaxers with recreational uses, though really I just feel kind of loopy. This is like the perfect mood for watching Seinfeld.

I avoided the doctor before I got great insurance, and it's hard to break that habit. ER could still be expensive, though.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Polemarch View Post
    On the aside of doctor avoidance - what are you people so unnerved by? Is it just that you don't like asking a stranger to help you? Or do you think they're trying to hurt you?

Go to the doctor, get their opinion, if their recommendation makes sense, follow it. If they prescribe something, google it before you fill the prescription. If they recommend something you don't agree with, disregard it.
    Encounters with doctors make me feel powerless in a very uncomfortable way. That's the whole point of the encounter. I go to them feeling bad about something and I get brushed off and made to feel like either I'm wasting their time or like my knowledge of my own body is insignificant.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Also, my mom has access to my medical files through work and I know she reads them.

Type
    ENTP
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I get brushed off and made to feel like either I'm wasting their time or like my knowledge of my own body is insignificant.
    Doctors aren't there to brush you off. They are consultants, people who've received an education and worked many years gaining experience analyzing and treating medical issues. They are experts, and you're visiting them to prey upon their experience and their opinion. Sometimes, their opinions and recommendations won't be valuable though, so if you find that to be the case, you fire the consultant and find a new one. At least, that's what I would do here - I'm not familiar enough with the Canadian health system to know if it's too restrictive to permit you to make those kinds of choices.

But I'm not following why you'd feel powerless when visiting a consultant. They don't have the ability to force you to do anything you don't want to do. When I visit the doctor, I usually research my symptoms/issues beforehand, so I'm knowledgeable about the subject. Then, I walk in, thank them for seeing me, and tell them what I want. I start by outlining why I'm there, telling them what I've researched on my own, then asking them for their opinions/recommendations on my issue. If their answers don't make sense, I ask more questions until I'm satisfied. Then, depending on their recommendation, I either take their advice or ignore it.

Have your experiences differed, and if so, why do you think that is?
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I've never had an experience with a doctor who was willing to sit down and talk to me about things. A competent one, at least. My family doctor when I was growing up would do that but I'm not convinced she was actually competent as a doctor.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Uh. I just don't want anyone to tell me I'm gonna die.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao