Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tolerations

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Tolerations

INTPx I'm giving you a task.

First off, read this about 'tolerations.'

Tolerations are minor annoyances that you allow in your daily life because they're not big enough or urgent enough to deal with. But each one takes a little mental toll that begins to add up. In the long run you'd probably be a lot happier and more productive if you just got off your ass and dealt with those things.

What are the things you are currently tolerating? I challenge you to make a list and then fix as many of them as possible.

Okay, go.

Type
    INTP
    4. Block off one afternoon and $100 dollars to remove every toleration on your list
    $100... lol. That's not going to fix everything. It's not all going to get done in an afternoon either. The general idea is good though.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Leak View Post
    $100... lol. That's not going to fix everything. It's not all going to get done in an afternoon either. The general idea is good though.
    Yeah, I think some things are going to take more time/money/work. I think the time and money limit is aimed at getting people to achieve some easy wins. But I see no reason not to wtackle bigger things too.

Type
    INTP
    ..I think I already do this.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    What are the things you are currently tolerating? I challenge you to make a list and then fix as many of them as possible.

Okay, go.
    Some of my tolerations can't be posted on the internet. But I've actually been in this mode lately myself. Maybe it's a new year thing?

I notice that when I start getting tolerations out of the way, I'm a lot more disciplined about how I spend the rest of my time. Like if I've had to dedicate a large chunk of my day to bullshit tolerations, then the part of the day assigned to things like real work (if you can call it that) is used pretty wisely, with little procrastination.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    If I do this with my house I'm going to have to break it down by room or something because there's way too much stuff overall to deal with all at once. Some of them I can't fix because of the expensive... but I guess maybe those problems might be something other than tolerations anyway because I'd consider them bigger than just minor annoyances.

Type
    INTP
    That article was almost certainly written by an SJ. Their answer to everything is "get busy folks*!"

Now, as always, the answer is never black and white. But I would say I am more likely de-stressed by simply accepting my tolerations than having to deal with a never ending "job jar". Let's face it, things like dirty dishes keep coming back no matter how often you try to deal with them. Better to just accept they will be part of the landscape until "need for a clean dish" foists action upon you.

Having said that, I have admitted on this very forum that my tendency to neglect things that need repair has led on occasion to bigger repair bills. So I need to improve on to dealing with certain "ticking time bomb" annoyances in a more prompt fashion.

* Bonus points for timely use of a current thread reference

Pretty much everything besides being hunched over a computer in the dark... it's just one big toleration

Banned
    Type
    xxxx
    Last edited by nerby; 03-25-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Plastered part of a wall today. It was an area that was chipped to repair a pipe and it was out of sight, but I needed to plaster it if I'm gonna paint the room. Bought some spackling paste so I'll put that on when the plaster dries.

I never did any of this before but it's fun!
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao