Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Reconciling Myself to Being an INTP Woman

  1. #11
    Dr.Awkward Robcore's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,292
    I think that if your T stat is pretty high, your F stat can also be pretty high, too...to the point where actually being one or the other is not significant as it pertains to your interactions with the world (you can T and F sufficiently to navigate nearly all circumstances, to the point where there isn't a marked weakness to be concerned about).

    When both stats are sufficiently and similarly strong, the difference is going to pertain pretty much only to your subjective sense of things. You've got a closet with 3 blue towels and 3 red ones...to the world, you're capable of being a red towel supplier, or a blue towel supplier...but subjectively, you put one stack of them on the left side of the closet where you can grab them more easily...y'know?
    I think that if you are really more of a T, you may occasionally experience emotions like you're watching yourself, and saying "Oh, that's what I look like from this angle". Your emotions may have all the richness and depth that we expect from a hardcore feeler, but you wear them like a shirt, rather than believing that you are the shirt. You can definitely have times when you're totally in the emotion, too, without that self-consciousness...but that's bound to be an exception to your norm.

    On the flip side, you could be a feeler who is incredibly rational...and you are more likely to have a sense of watching a thought, and saying "Oh, that's what that looks like from this angle"...essentially casting a value-judgment on your thoughts, rather than a thought-analysis of your value/feeling, as in the first example.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

  2. #12
    <3 gator's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,330
    INTPx Award Winner
    I hear you on the type description not quite fitting. Typology is an imperfect thing and INTP women are kind of their own category that don't fit the standard description very well. I think a lot of that is socialization that suppresses their rougher, more autistic edges and forces them to act in ways that are feelier. There is just less tolerance of typical INTP traits in women than there is in men. So have to learn to act normal and The good news is that this means that INTP women often have a lot of the good INTP traits and very few of the bad.

    Having strong emotions doesn't make you a feeler though. We all use all of our inferior functions from time to time. As Robcore said, it is more a matter of which ones you are most likely to reach for most often. And I've found that it depends a lot on whatever is happening in your life at any given time. Sometimes circumstances will cause you to lean on and express certain parts of you more often than others.

    But ultimately this stuff is only really useful to the point that it aids in understanding yourself and relationships with others. If there are bits that don't make sense or don't fit then it's probably because the theory is too simple to really accurately convey the complexity of any individual's lived experience.

  3. #13
    Senior Member jyng1's Avatar
    Type
    intp
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,398
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I hear you on the type description not quite fitting. Typology is an imperfect thing and INTP women are kind of their own category that don't fit the standard description very well.
    Interesting considering the Indicator was originally developed from Jung's work by a mother and daughter team primarily for women...

  4. #14
    Hasta Siempre Madrigal's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mañana
    Posts
    6,905
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbage_Doll View Post
    The thing is - I do have strong, nuanced emotions, I understand emotions within others (but less so exchanges of emotion), and I am not scared of complex, emotional matters.

    What I struggle with is more of Fe stuff. I am even wondering if my focused development on empathy was born out of the shame heaped on my head growing up for being "cold". I am continually baffled by social dynamics and thrown sideways by what feels like emotional manipulation (which I resist). This is the biggest problem in my life since I was born pretty much.
    I'm curious about this. You recognize that your emotions are "strong and nuanced" (I'm not sure anyone would claim otherwise though) and that you can recognize emotions in others, but you don't understand the way those emotions interact in a complex social exchange? I just find it odd that you can recognize one and not the other. Can you give an example of the type of exchange that confuses you?
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

  5. #15
    <3 gator's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,330
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    Interesting considering the Indicator was originally developed from Jung's work by a mother and daughter team primarily for women...
    Yeah, but for certain types it feels like a particular gender is implied by the description. The INTP one feels a lot more male than female, which kind of makes sense because most INTPs are men.

  6. #16
    Senior Member jyng1's Avatar
    Type
    intp
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,398
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    Yeah, but for certain types it feels like a particular gender is implied by the description. The INTP one feels a lot more male than female, which kind of makes sense because most INTPs are men.

    Yeah, I noticed that with all the ESTJ women at work when I gave them the indicator... i caught myself mentioning that F was more associated with female traits. The ESTJ girl I have a bit of a thing for thinks I'm a bit of a girl so not sure what that means. Maybe I work in a hyper masculine workplace.

  7. #17
    <3 gator's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,330
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    Yeah, I noticed that with all the ESTJ women at work when I gave them the indicator... i caught myself mentioning that F was more associated with female traits. The ESTJ girl I have a bit of a thing for thinks I'm a bit of a girl so not sure what that means. Maybe I work in a hyper masculine workplace.
    There is also the fact that the standard MBTI descriptions of INTPs and career suggestions lean very heavily toward STEM and academic things like computer programming, math, engineering, academia. These are definitely good options for INTPs But there is a significant number of us that are more drawn toward creative jobs and hobbies. Some of us have followed that inclination into actual career paths. I'm thinking myself, @stuck, @jigglypuff, @Spartan26 etc. (I'll add @Sappho to the list even though she's come around to calling herself intj). There are others who are just pulled very significantly toward some form of expressive arts, like @Dirac and @Makers!*. It's not something that we all share across the board, but I feel like there are enough of us that it necessitates a partial rewrite of the type description.

  8. #18
    Senior Member jyng1's Avatar
    Type
    intp
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,398
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    But there is a significant number of us that are more drawn toward creative jobs and hobbies. Some of us have followed that inclination into actual career paths. I'm thinking myself, @stuck, @jigglypuff, @Spartan26 etc. (I'll add @Sappho to the list even though she's come around to calling herself intj).
    You might want to read Character and Personality Type from Dario Nardi. In that he provides 4 character biographies for each of the different types. His biographies for INTPs include: a computer engineer, a psychologist, a screenwriter and a music professor...

    I'm not sure INTPs would make good engineers... engineers have to work too hard.

  9. #19
    <3 gator's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,330
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    You might want to read Character and Personality Type from Dario Nardi. In that he provides 4 character biographies for each of the different types. His biographies for INTPs include: a computer engineer, a psychologist, a screenwriter and a music professor...

    I'm not sure INTPs would make good engineers... engineers have to work too hard.
    Yeah, I think they would make better architects. Architects dream up the ideas. Engineers have to get bogged down with the logistics of actually trying to build the things.

  10. #20
    Hasta Siempre Madrigal's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mañana
    Posts
    6,905
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    Yeah, I think they would make better architects. Architects dream up the ideas. Engineers have to get bogged down with the logistics of actually trying to build the things.
    Hmm, architects and engineers both dream up the ideas, I just think the ones that come from architects look much better.

    /quibble
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Similar Threads

  1. Who's the most attractive woman on these forums?
    By baccheion in forum The Pub
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 08-28-2015, 08:37 AM
  2. Would You Let This Woman Die?
    By Polemarch in forum News, Culture & History
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 01-15-2014, 05:53 AM
  3. A woman with power
    By Madrigal in forum Rants, Raves & Hot Air
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-02-2014, 04:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •