Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home remedies

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Home remedies

Do you have any? Not just for health but for replacing conventional products in general. I'm trying to learn more about DIY stuff latelty. So any questions or suggestions here would be helpful.

Might also help Americans during the Trump era.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    intp
    Replacing bathroom cleaning products with Baking Soda and White Vinegar.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    Replacing bathroom cleaning products with Baking Soda and White Vinegar.
    My entire array of cleaning/self-care products is listed as followed:

Bleach (clothes only)
    Baking Soda & Vinegar (surfaces and scalp; especially useful for potty training accidents)
    Coconut Oil (mostly body, some surfaces; also use to gargle with)
    Shea butter (body, mixed in with coconut oil when a thicker moisturizer is needed)
    Essential Oils (surfaces and body, use as needed)
    Sugar scrub (body)
    Toothpaste

If my mouth feels gross for whatever reason, gargling with oil for a few minutes before I brush my teeth really helps.

Also I don't actually make my own products, I just keep tubs of all the raw ingredients and mix them together as needed.

I think I'm probably marginally cleaner and healthier than I was with store bought stuff, but also it's cheaper, easier, and doesn't smell like fake fragrance.

Also the unrefined coconut oil is 100% worth it in terms of scent and texture.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    intp
    I'm aiming to try oxalic acid to remove shower glass build up when I can find some. Tried lemon juice, CLR etc without much luck.

Type
    INTP
    I found that a teaspoon of baking soda mixed in a tall glass of water works better and faster than the Tecta antacid that the doc prescribed me a while back.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    As a teen, I used to suffer from a lot of headaches and sometimes migraines, sometimes I would still have them after sleeping.
    I tried a bunch of different things with varying success, but without doubt, the best one was a somewhat manual way of constricting the blood vessels by running a basin full of freezing cold water and dipping as much of my head in there as possible, face first.
    If it's cold enough, it will just about take your breath away and the water will feel like it's trying to force its way up your nose. A couple of good blasts of this for ten seconds at a time will pretty much kick a headache's ass, at least in my case.
    Chris Brown did nothing wrong

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    A couple of good blasts of this for ten seconds at a time will pretty much kick a headache's ass, at least in my case.
    A Central American I knew told me to put ice on the back of my head/neck, and it worked. You're the second person I hear about using freezing water to treat a headache.

Edit: Wait. There's actually a common method for getting rid of sunstroke here. You have to sit the victim on a chair and fill a glass with cold water and cover it with a cloth, and then turn the glass over and rest it on the person's head so the water starts dripping over them slowly through the cloth. The bubbles rising in the glass (which are just the air going through the cloth as the glass is drained) is thought to be the "sunstroke" escaping from the person's head.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    You can make your own facial acid peel with 4-5 generic, uncoated aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) soaked in enough lemon juice to cover. Add a little facial lotion and cortisone cream if you've got it.

Don't wear for more than 5 minutes to start, never more than ten unless you want a chemical burn on your face. Rinse well before washing with soap and moisturize heavily after.

After I use a mixture of homemade face lotion, touch of tea tree, antibiotic ointment, and jojoba mixed. Try once a month to start, never more than once a week.

Even better order your own acid and lotion stuff from a place like lotioncraft
    Don't remember changing this.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I steep chopped ginger root in hot water as a general cure-all. I'm pretty prone to sinus congestion and headaches and it seems to help.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I steep chopped ginger root in hot water as a general cure-all. I'm pretty prone to sinus congestion and headaches and it seems to help.
    same. with some honey and lemon.
    "Better not to feel too much until the crisis ends—and if it never ends, at least we’ll have suffered a little less, developed a useful dullness...The constant—and very real—fear of being hurt, the fear of death, of intolerable loss, or even of “mere” humiliation, leads each of us, the citizens and prisoners of the conflict, to dampen our own vitality, our emotional and intellectual range, and to cloak ourselves in more and more protective layers until we suffocate." - Toni Morrison