Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most useless products

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Most useless products

So, my sister just bought a spiralizer. Apparently it turns zucchini into pasta.

In other words, we have a whole artefact now that cost her almost 100 dollars, takes up space, is a pain to wash, and simply turns vegetables into strings.

I never actually looked at a vegetable and wished I could turn it into pasta. Ever.

So I told her she was going to waste her money on a typically useless product but she didn't listen. Now I'm just gonna write down every time she uses it because I have nothing better to do than to prove my point.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    I have the exact same reaction to that product.

I can't think of anything else specific, but I know that I had this reaction quite frequently when shopping for toys. ...Probably most anything that didn't engage the brain at all, and/or could be accomplished more easily with common household objects.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    So, my sister just bought a spiralizer. Apparently it turns zucchini into pasta.

In other words, we have a whole artefact now that cost her almost 100 dollars, takes up space, is a pain to wash, and simply turns vegetables into strings.

I never actually looked at a vegetable and wished I could turn it into pasta. Ever.

So I told her she was going to waste her money on a typically useless product but she didn't listen. Now I'm just gonna write down every time she uses it because I have nothing better to do than to prove my point.
    Better yet, make a tick mark in a visible place for every day she doesn't use it.
    "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is reality. Your cries do not move me." -- Sistamatic

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    I have the exact same reaction to that product.

I can't think of anything else specific, but I know that I had this reaction quite frequently when shopping for toys. ...Probably most anything that didn't engage the brain at all, and/or could be accomplished more easily with common household objects.
    When I was little the best thing you could give me was an empty box.

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    Better yet, make a tick mark in a visible place for every day she doesn't use it.
    Haha!

The most annoying thing is that her apartmemnt is in need of several repairs (which I have started on myself) and that money could have been useful for a bunch of things.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    IXTP
    When it comes to kitchen gadgets I follow Alton Brown's philosophy of not having any Unitaskers in the kitchen. Devices that have only one specific function take up space, collect dust and only get used a couple times a year, if that. Alton brown likes to say that the only Unitasker he has in the kitchen is a fire extinguiser.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkovChain View Post
    Alton brown likes to say that the only Unitasker he has in the kitchen is a fire extinguisher.
    I like to think of the fire extinguisher as a tool that prevents the multi-task of having to build a new kitchen/house.
    "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is reality. Your cries do not move me." -- Sistamatic

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I used to have a bunch of unresolved "told you so" with my brother. But ever since he was so wrong about jobs in jewelry manufacturing being better than IT, I just feel like a dick for bringing any of them up. Plus, I don't think he has a single 'told you so' on me, except maybe not giving certain people a dose of extroverted thought.

He insists he's an INTJ. If he's in-fact, empirically some other type, I will try not to say told you so to him.
    Last edited by Limey; 01-26-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

My parents just bought one of those. I can take it or leave it, but they're on a super low-carb restricted diet so I guess they find it useful.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    My parents just bought one of those. I can take it or leave it, but they're on a super low-carb restricted diet so I guess they find it useful.
    The thing that gets me is that vegetables in the shape of pasta are not pasta! The texture when you chew is totally different. If you're getting this because you like pasta but you need to eat vegetables, you're setting yourself up for a world of disappointment. I can't think of anything sadder than anticipating a bite of noodles and getting nothing but zucchini fragments. Which means that you're more likely to abandon your diet.

Frustrating on so many levels.

(Although... I can imagine... If you have a really thick, meaty sauce... and you're mostly in it for the sauce... It might be ok. :/)
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INFP
    Containers and slicers designed and/or shaped like specific kinds of fruits and vegetables.
    "Better not to feel too much until the crisis ends—and if it never ends, at least we’ll have suffered a little less, developed a useful dullness...The constant—and very real—fear of being hurt, the fear of death, of intolerable loss, or even of “mere” humiliation, leads each of us, the citizens and prisoners of the conflict, to dampen our own vitality, our emotional and intellectual range, and to cloak ourselves in more and more protective layers until we suffocate." - Toni Morrison