Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Aggressive protesters vs. traffic ways

Type
    INTP
    This split into its own thread/discussion.

Type
    INTx

Aggressive protesters vs. traffic ways

Aggressive protesters suck. What a lack of self awareness and personal responsibility. He and his comrades are the initial aggressors illegally impeding traffic flow and somebody who refuses to be impeded and intimidated is the "crazy" one?

Type
    INTP
    Good for the bus driver. As far as I'm concerned, I'd have been 100% OK with it if it actually hit -- and grievously mangled -- one of those moojority fuckwits. Bonus: if the fuckwit survived, permanently maimed, doomed to suffer for the rest of his/her pathetic little life. Although, to be honest, if I were the driver, I'd have backed up over and across again anyone that I hit -- drive them into paste on the pavement. As long as everyone is out there whining, may as well give them something to whine about. Hell, plow through the whole fucking herd, GTA style.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Aggressive protesters suck. What a lack of self awareness and personal responsibility. He and his comrades are the initial aggressors illegally impeding traffic flow and somebody who refuses to be impeded and intimidated is the "crazy" one?

What's your fascination with these videos? Is it recreational outrage at mob mentality?
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    intp
    Hmm... illegally impeding traffic on a pedestrian crossing on a public road? Pedestrians don't have the same rights to the road in the US as they do in other countries due to early lobbying by the motor vehicle industry, but I'd still posit that it wouldn't be advisable to deliberately run people over on a pedestrian crossing.

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    What's your fascination with these videos? Is it recreational outrage at mob mentality?
    Sorta. People who feel they're entitled to interfere with or intimidate other people as a form of protest arouse my hostility. I have empathy for the law abiding people who are harassed by the bully mob. It's gratifying to see when they don't tolerate that shit. The participants in these mobs take it for granted that most people are law abiding and not reckless and, as such, wouldn't drive through the mob. It would be a good thing if that expectation were altered. Therefore, I see people like that bus driver as performing an admirable service. If anybody is hurt as result I think the blame belongs with the intial aggressors, the mob participants.

Type
    INtP
    Sorta. People who feel they're entitled to interfere with or intimidate other people as a form of protest arouse my hostility. I have empathy for the law abiding people who are harassed by the bully mob. It's gratifying to see when they don't tolerate that shit. The participants in these mobs take it for granted that most people are law abiding and not reckless and, as such, wouldn't drive through the mob. It would be a good thing if that expectation were altered. Therefore, I see people like that bus driver as performing an admirable service. If anybody is hurt as result I think the blame belongs with the intial aggressors, the mob participants.
    I could understand this reaction if you were Ptah, for example, but don't you claim to be Christian? And you're condoning violence (as long as they're done against human protesters, fine. Property destruction done by protesters is abhorrent and you label them "scum")?

Standing in the street is civil disobedience. It is not "harassment." You need to get your head on straight if you're advocating using a vehicle as a weapon against other people.

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    I could understand this reaction if you were Ptah, for example, but don't you claim to be Christian?
    I haven't made that claim.

And you're condoning violence (as long as they're done against human protesters, fine. Property destruction done by protesters is abhorrent and you label them "scum")?

Standing in the street is civil disobedience. It is not "harassment." You need to get your head on straight if you're advocating using a vehicle as a weapon against other people.
    I'm condoning self defense. If somebody without any legal authority chooses to block me while I'm walking down a public street, I maintain that I have a right to push them out of the way. Analogously, I think a driver should be able to push people out of the way who are illegally blocking a roadway. I'm not saying that is currently legal, but I see an argument for making it legal.

EDIT: Here's an article on the subject that notes that it would be legal, as self defense, if the driver reasonably fears imminent grave bodily harm from the mob. Granted, there wasn't initially a case for such fear in the video I posted. Though one protester did start to get violent, perhaps giving legal justification to accelerate.
    The article also notes: "there is nothing to prevent a legislature from defining the disorderly blockading of a public way as an act against which deadly defensive force can be used, such as by creating a legal presumption under such circumstances of a reasonable fear of death or grave bodily harm. The large majority of states have already created such legal presumptions justifying the use of deadly defensive force in other contexts — particularly in the context of an intruder in the home." Come on all you Republican state legislatures.
    Last edited by Sir Caveat; 01-28-2017 at 11:11 PM.

Type
    intp
    Sorta. People who feel they're entitled to interfere with or intimidate other people as a form of protest arouse my hostility.
    Apparently arouses a lot of other peoples hostility too. The US has just been downgraded from a full democracy to a flawed democracy by the Economist Intelligence Unit.

Type
    intp
    I haven't made that claim.

I'm condoning self defense. If somebody without any legal authority chooses to block me

I thought the whole point of a pedestrian crossing was to block vehicles. They appear to be pedestrians on a pedestrian crossing and that appears to be a vehicle they're blocking.