Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm going for a root canal today.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

I'm going for a root canal today.

I am going for a root canal today.

Talk me down, give me a hug, share your dental horror stories &c.

Type
    IXTP

Type
    INTP
    Shortly after I got my braces removed I had to get all four of my wisdom teeth removed, which were growing in sideways/impacted. I remember my dad being in the room while they strapped an IV holding contraption to my arm. They started to inject me and the anesthesiologist said, "O.K. This is going to feel like you just drank a margarita... Oh, wait, you are too young! Well, just imagine..." My dad and I just laughed since we had started family drinking night a couple years ago (Wednesdays) and we started with margaritas and it totally broke the tension. My last words were, "Thisis so aaawwsooom,,," And I passed out holding my dad's hand looking at a circle of laughing guys.

I woke up in haze sometime later that only seemed a second to me. I spend the rest of the day pain free and blissfully high as hell. Everyone took care of me and I had great scripts. It is one of my more fond memories of high school.

My mom's repeated root canals are another story...

So here is to you and great anesthesia!

Type
    INTP
    I went to the dentist when I was 14 and then didn't go again until I was 44, 30 years without seeing a dentist. The big deal was 4 wisdom teeth to pull, two of which were rotten, one of those had a hook. The dentist yanked my head all over the place trying to pull it out, finally he resorted to cutting it up in pieces. I was starting to freak a little with all the yanking. Other than that it wasn't that bad, but then I had no root canals.

I've had one root canal. The entire procedure was disappointingly mild, except for about 2 seconds of it when apparently the nerve was quickly removed. 2 seconds of pure white hot pain.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I want to say that this is going to be alright. Like getting my wisdom teeth out was no problem. I had another random tooth floating around in my gums that I got removed at the same time. When I woke up my mouth was kind of swollen and full of stitches but I didn't feel too horrible and I didn't take any drugs.

But this tooth's been bothering me for months. They put a temporary filling on it a few weeks ago and they said that standard thing they always do at the dentist: raise your arm if it hurts. So they were drilling into the tooth and soon enough it hurt like a bitch and I raised my arm and the dentist said rather nonchalantly that oh, it hurts? well there's nothing we can really do about that. wtf.

Type
    INTP
    I've had three, I think (I lost count: sad). Only one true horror story to share, but I'll wait until you're done with yours to share it. I wouldn't inflict what happened to me to an enemy, heh.

My only dental horror story otherwise involved getting a deep molar filling at a dental school, as a volunteer patient for someone taking their boards. So, between each discreet step of the procedure the work would stop, and I'd sit there with my mouth open until a doctor-teacher-whatever came along to inspect the work, poking and prodding with tools around and into my drilled-open tooth, etc. All of that was just fine by me, I have no anxiety about dental work. The kicker was that the student couldn't anesthetize me, but asked me to feign that I had been so he could get though the tests. So I felt the whole two-hour procedure of a deep molar filling, step by step, with big gaps of time between each, trying not to evidence pain as the teachers went prodding about in my tooth. In the end, the student failed his boards for some other reason, so it was all just a complete wash, heh.

To this day, I summon the pain and discomfort of that time, raising it as my "bee shields" -- a conscious defense athwart my irrational fear of bees (of being stung by them). I naturally flinch when a bee gets near, but I raise the "bee shields" of that memory, and suddenly I'm not afraid of what pain their sting offers.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    I've had three, I think (I lost count: sad). Only one true horror story to share, but I'll wait until you're done with yours to share it. I wouldn't inflict what happened to me to an enemy, heh.

My only dental horror story otherwise involved getting a deep molar filling at a dental school, as a volunteer patient for someone taking their boards. So, between each discreet step of the procedure the work would stop, and I'd sit there with my mouth open until a doctor-teacher-whatever came along to inspect the work, poking and prodding with tools around and into my drilled-open tooth, etc. All of that was just fine by me, I have no anxiety about dental work. The kicker was that the student couldn't anesthetize me, but asked me to feign that I had been so he could get though the tests. So I could felt the whole two-hour procedure of a deep molar filling, step by step, with big gaps of time between each, trying not to evidence pain as the teachers went prodding about in my tooth. In the end, the student failed his boards for some other reason, so it was all just a complete wash, heh.

To this day, I summon the pain and discomfort of that time, raising it as my "bee shields" -- a conscious defense athwart my irrational fear of bees (of being stung by them). I naturally flinch when a bee gets near, but I raise the "bee shields" of that memory, and suddenly I'm not afraid of what pain their sting offers.
    So... you were basically voluntarily tortured for two hours by a failing dental student. That sounds nightmareish. I've never had a root canal, but this thread prompted me to look to see what one actually is, and it sounds horrifying. This reminds me that I need to see a dentist before I leave the country.

Type
    INTP
    I had four impacted wisdom teeth to remove as well (senior in high school).

They shot me with what amounted to about 12 needles of novacaine (that part, in terms of pain, was the worst). But yes, being awake as they sliced open my gums, then crushed up those teeth with pliers and yanked them out of my head, is something I'll never forget ... lots of crunching and crushing noises and shockwaves, like pretzels or ice being smashed.

I staggered out of the dentist office with saliva and blood dripping down my clothes, like a zombie. When the novacaine wore off about two hours later, that's when the pain got bad; I was taking tylenol with codeine but it didn't do much for me, I remember sitting on my bed all night unable to sleep, rocking back and forth to make the ache endurable.

I've had two root canals as an adult, but frankly they were nothing (aside from uncomfortable with them working in my mouth an hour) compared to the wisdom teeth incident.

Type
    INTP
    Oh, great. I have four impacted wisdom teeth, and I'm in my late thirties... I just haven't been able to find a time to have them out, and a part of that is that I'm not looking too find one too hard -- irrationally -- for I hear it gets worse as you're older, and in my case they told me I'd have to be put under for sure, given the nature of the work required...

Basic dental work doesn't bother me (and I've had two nightmarish events during such). The notion of wisdom tooth removal does, for some reason.