Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Misophonia

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Misophonia

Anybody?

It looks like some research is suggesting these nutcases are hardwired to react with rage to certain everyday sounds they consider annoying.

Ok so maybe you aren't nutcases. I just can't think of any examples for me (besides my sister's voice). I have heard of some really weird cases though. I know a girl who claims to detest the sound of sighing. She practically can't use a public restroom because she claims people sigh when they pee. *blink*

Article: https://www.google.com.ar/amp/s/amp....udy/index.html
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INtP
    I saw an article that mentioned slurping can invoke a flight response in some people.

I don't believe in demons but even innocent laughter can somehow convince me that something evil is happening. Sometimes a person's face even changes a little, kind of like Smeagol in The Lord of the Rings. It's like a window into their dark little hearts. That's normal though, right?
    The idea that there is more is essential to our humanity.

Type
    INtP
    I'm not misophonic but there are definitely some sounds I can't tolerate--usually there is repetition to it though, a single sigh from someone is not going to set me off. Certain noises you hear, and then cannot tune out, and they get louder and louder (not literally, but it starts taking up more of your mental attention and slowly gets super annoying and almost intolerable):

*when you hear radio interviews and a person has dry mouth, so you hear that weird tongue sticking/unsticking from the roof of their mouth
    *when people are fidgeting and their clothes make that chuff-chuff-chuff noise over and over
    *when a speaker is blown out and there is a constant hum
    ETA: just read @GnarlFox response. I'm not around slurpers often but that is annoying as fuck.

Type
    INTP
    The sound of a person eating crunchy food can drive me up the wall sometimes.

Type
    INTP
    Not a particular sound, but I hate when noises are coming from behind me.

There's certain high pitches that make me cringe because I can feel them in my head. Sometimes when a chair drags across a floor, or silverware squeaks on a plate. Some kids can scream at this pitch.

And yeah, repetitive noises are annoying after awhile.

And bass.

I think that's it...

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    The sound of a person eating crunchy food can drive me up the wall sometimes.
    I've been criticized for eating too loudly. In the past my coworker and wife have said something and I thanked them for letting me know so I can try to reduce it in the future

Type
    INTP
    People that clip their nails in public.

Or maybe it's the "in public" part that really bothers me.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Loud eating sets me off. There was a Chinese guy in my dept at the HQ of a large domestic bank and I couldn't be in the lunch room at the same time as him. He would slurp up watery soup (which usually stunk - maybe he was Korean, not sure) -he would do it so loud you would think he were making a deliberate attempt to be obnoxious. I wanted to roundhouse his head into that bowl.

I find vocal fry mildly irritating, especially when coupled with, like, stoccato, like thoughts being like assimilatednnnnngh.

I don't think I could finish a movie if say there was a girl behind me who spoke with vocal fry and ate snacks loudly. I'll wait for the fuckin' blu-ray.

Another one is the loud and obvious sound of footwear being dragged along the ground, especially abrasive ground, like the souls are just being worn smooth. Free pass for derp, naturally, but for able bodied, lazy people. Only judgement.

Not a huge fan of leaf blowers, they seem to have a knack of being around when I'm trying to participate in a conference call and invariably involve sweaty Latin Americans approaching my property, looking at all my things.

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    like the souls are just being worn smooth
    yes

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    yes
    haha I spelled it wrong but I think it fits anyway. That's funny.