Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758

Thread: I just played..

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    Witcher 3 is one of those games I've had sitting in my Steam wishlist forever, but still haven't bought. Oh, it has gone on sale a few times, but even so. From all I've seen in terms of reviews, it looks like it is just too involved to play. Like... I just can't muster the time or energy for that.
    It's pretty damn involved, even for the genre. For instance, you have a persistent skill tree but you have to equip the skills into a limited number of slots. There's times where loadout becomes essential, including a potion/toxicity aspect and a blade-oiling aspect. Doesn't seem too complicated at the face of it, but the learning curve is steep at the start. You also don't really have to pay attention to any of that stuff and can hack through it like I did. I am starting it over and watching the cutscenes just for a more involving gaming experience, now that I can easily grasp the interface.

If you like very involved stories ala game of thrones, you might really enjoy it. Cutscenes aplenty, and you define your characters morality and path via your dialogue choices. The lore is interesting and consistent, the side quests are well-made with a lot of detail.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    If you like very involved stories ala game of thrones
    Stopped reading right there. Game of Thrones = utter contemptible fail. Anything earnestly compared to it except in the form of a contrast or opposition = instant and complete death of any/all interest.

So, thank you for razoring out Witcher 3 for me.

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    Stopped reading right there. Game of Thrones = utter contemptible fail. Anything earnestly compared to it except in the form of a contrast or opposition = instant and complete death of any/all interest.

So, thank you for razoring out Witcher 3 for me.
    haha, to be fair, I don't know exactly where you draw the line. I mean to say that it has quite complex relationships, throne ascension intrigue, and a complicated multi-party war as a backdrop. The comparisons probably end there.

Quote Originally Posted by last_caress View Post
    This is great so far. It follows roughly the same format as Shenzhen I/O, but it seems much more accessible. No datasheets, no instructions with syntax, no computer concepts. Just mechanical arms and "alchemy", and in this one you play as an actual character with lines and a personality. The puzzles are still really challenging though. I think I personally have a harder time visualizing how a mechanical system like this will play out than keeping track of data and interfaces, but at the same time it seems easier to predict how one modification will alter the behavior of the system, once the system is understood.

To summarize, Zachtronics nailed it again and the game is awesome.

Type
    INTP
    You Have to Win the Game

8/10 - very enjoyable retro platformer with tight controls, sections of timing/precision-based difficulty. Just long enough to explore its gameplay dynamics... doesn't overstay its welcome. Very satisfying to play, for me.

I decided to play this since it was free on Steam, and its an appetizer for the larger, more elaborate Super Win the Game, by the same developers.