Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2262707172

Thread: I just played..

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Burnout 2 had Crash Mode, where you tried to force the biggest wreck you could, all done in glorious cinematic slo-motion that was pretty good at picking decent angles to watch the ensuing... carnage. It was right there, I couldn't not write it.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    I just finished Universal Paperclips. My immediate urge is to start over playing it again.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    I just finished Universal Paperclips. My immediate urge is to start over playing it again.
    It's cute--but those paperclips must be teensy if they only use one inch of wire!
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    It's cute--but those paperclips must be teensy if they only use one inch of wire!

...And the wire winds up going through an extractor, right? Anyway, the size of the paperclip is irrelevant to the fundamental core of our prime directive.

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Pillars of Eternity. Turned out to be a fun little game, although got a bit repetitive eventually. The lore was lacking and it definitely had a fanfic feel to it, but the mechanics worked and I enjoyed the playthrough. It was slightly annoying that it forces you to end the game with the final boss fight but I guess I get that.

Also SUPERHOT. SUPERHOT is the most innovative shooter I've played in years! Not worth the money for how short the game was though.

Type
    INTP
    Playing Shadow of War again.. is a badass game.

Got the Assassin's Creed Heritage set too.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Artifact: DOTA flavored garbage. It poses as complex, but it's more a tedious slog with very few choices disguised by having a lot of little things happening--but most of the things that happen you have little if any influence over, including things you would normally expect to have some influence over. Like who or what your minions attack, and where they are on the board. At best you get to pick what lane to put them in, but--not generally, not where in the lane they end up. Given that position strongly determines what attacks what, that's a huge thing to have no control over--but they can't give you real control over that, especially for the minions/creeps already in play because turns are taken simultaneously--ish.

There are three lanes, and you traverse from one to the next, so that each round is a single round of three loosely connected games. Most of your cards can only be played in the currently active lane/game. In the active lane, you and your opponent take turns playing cards or activating abilities on played minions if they have 'em, and then after you've both passed, combat is resolved simultaneously, and you go to the next lane. If you were able to fiddle with board positions, it would take forever to get to the combat phase. But, not having that ability means it's really easy to end up royally fucked by things that were not only out of your control, but your opponent probably didn't do shit to gain their advantage.

If you thought RNJesus in Hearthstone was a sore point, you will loathe Artifact to a degree you didn't know was possible.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Artifact: DOTA flavored garbage. It poses as complex, but it's more a tedious slog with very few choices disguised by having a lot of little things happening--but most of the things that happen you have little if any influence over, including things you would normally expect to have some influence over. Like who or what your minions attack, and where they are on the board. At best you get to pick what lane to put them in, but--not generally, not where in the lane they end up. Given that position strongly determines what attacks what, that's a huge thing to have no control over--but they can't give you real control over that, especially for the minions/creeps already in play because turns are taken simultaneously--ish.

There are three lanes, and you traverse from one to the next, so that each round is a single round of three loosely connected games. Most of your cards can only be played in the currently active lane/game. In the active lane, you and your opponent take turns playing cards or activating abilities on played minions if they have 'em, and then after you've both passed, combat is resolved simultaneously, and you go to the next lane. If you were able to fiddle with board positions, it would take forever to get to the combat phase. But, not having that ability means it's really easy to end up royally fucked by things that were not only out of your control, but your opponent probably didn't do shit to gain their advantage.

If you thought RNJesus in Hearthstone was a sore point, you will loathe Artifact to a degree you didn't know was possible.
    tangential: DOTA on expert is a really fun song in beatsaber ... hard, but when you get the hang of it, very satisfying.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    I'm well through Celeste, a properly challenging platformer. Played on PC.

Gameplay:10/10.

Story: Some pithy bullshit about anxiety and/or depression? Could not give less of a fuck. NA out of 10. Skip!
    So I sat down and played this through again recently, reminded of it by The Game Awards (I think it won Best Indie or something).

I re-affirm what I said before. This game is absolutely amazing in terms of gameplay and production value. Refreshingly challenging, clever use of the aesthetic, twist on platformer expectations, etc. A solid 10/10 with a huge thumbs up.

The story can go fuck itself, however. I'm sick of hearing how everyone just love-loves this game because of the namby-pamby fucking story. Fuck off. The game itself is amazing; the narrative is horseshit, and can thankfully be (largely) skipped.

I'm not against pithy stories in games. For instance, What Remains of Edith Finch was an example of how to do it (very) right. Hellblade, even. But Celeste's pith? Contrived eye-rolling bullshit catered to wee little snowflakes. Nope: fuck off.

Moreover, even when done right, I think it is being done a little too often, this "mental health" story nonsense in games. To all who just lap this shit up: for your own sake, grow a fuckin' spine, already?
    Last edited by Ptah; Yesterday at 09:51 PM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I was playing Mad Max a few moments ago. Don't make that face, I buy bundles. There, that's the right face. But I digress.

I was playing Mad Max, and there came a point early in the protracted tutorial where a really bizarre and gameworld breaking design choice reared it's head. It was gameworld breaking not because it violated any of the previously established rules about what you could do, but because it violated my need for things to make some sort of sense. It just made no sense to accomplish that task in that way.

There is a point where you come across a locked door that requires a crowbar to open. The crowbar apparently opens chests as well. Handy. To get the crowbar, the game directs you to unlock it as an upgrade from the appropriate submenu. You purchase it with your collected scrap.

I want to set some context for you, because I don't think this is intuitively obvious. It's been previously established that if you can afford an upgrade for your car or yourself--and it's unlocked by story events or being sufficiently badass*-- you can buy it, no matter where you are. This include engine parts, wheels, armor, gun upgrades--you don't have to go somewhere where you might have tools, you just will that shit into existence by staring at your hoarded bits of metal that you somehow carry everywhere invisibly with you.

I think it's important to be very clear here: I'm on board with that. That is not the problem. That's fine. It's convenient and cuts down on backtracking bullshit. There are some things that make it a bit silly, because you're arbitrarily gating access to an ability or... clothing--that you then summon in an instant. But that's a common way of doing things, and I've played games that did it the other way. They usually weren't better for it. Can't think of any that were.

The number of times my base camp moved in Minecraft because I couldn't arsed to trek back and just made new crafting tables...

The crowbar is a utility tool. There are a couple that have already been introduced. It's the last one. It's also the only one you acquire this way. The others are either given, or picked up. This isn't even the introduction to the upgrade menu system. By that point, you've upgraded things at least twice. And being the last thing in that menu, it isn't even a useful way to show you that menu, because the only reason that menu has to exist, is for you to buy the crowbar from it.

That, is what broke my faith in the gameworld.

*Not a joke. That is a precondition for accessing most of the available upgrades. There is a level system that tracks your badassery and assigns you ranking within it. Technically a level system but the flavor is levels of badass. Honestly, I feel like they missed an opportunity in how they did this, but maybe some other enterprising game designer will be inspired to make better use of this tragically underexplored territory.