Page 50 of 59 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: I just played..

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    I had a similar long hiatus. I got the Uncharted 1, 2, 3 Collection thing with my PS4 and I think the linearity is part of the whole attraction. It kind of feels good to me to be able to switch off and just play through and be god-damned entertained for the duration, and feel like I'm Indiana Jones. It can feel like quite a nice change from the multitude of open-world games (which are great), to not need to make too many decisions about things. 1, 2, and 3 had some really great gameplay sequences at times too.
    Ditto, though I disliked the first Uncharted enough that I didn't bother with the apparently superior sequels. You can pick them up on the cheap so maybe I'll give it another chance. I liked Naughty Dog's the Last of Us ok which is effectively the same mechanic.

I've moved on to Alien Isolation and Fallout 4.

The latter is more of the same, which is fine, except you're Don Draper (or if you're me, Don Draper in a dress when you want the charisma boost). Scavenging through stuff and exploring is still fun. Maybe it's my imagination but I get the sense that the game encourages less reliance on VATS in the onset as your AP runs out quickly at first (unless you want to boost it). That's a good thing in my book, the "hey look over there" button doesn't even seem necessary. I use it on Mirelurk faces.

Alien Isolation is unnerving. The script is well done. But it has some quirky ideas about how it wants you to behave as per stealth which are not at all obvious at first and will get you killed. There's a section near the beginning that has you navigating past hostile humans a few times that seems misleading. You're very easily spotted so what works as "stealth" in most games doesn't apply here - you have to follow certain motions. All the little environmental effects such as creating smoke seem completely useless - you're just supposed to run in a certain direction and GTFO. As for the Alien... I've learned that it's always on the damn motion tracker in some areas and the trick is not to move quickly under vents. Also, you can hide but this is useless. The Alien will find you, fast. You have to navigate quickly where you want to go. Don't bother trying to fight Androids in the beginning.

Next on my list is the Old Hunters DLC for Bloodborne, Dark Souls III and Doom.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    intp
    I picked up Horizon Zero Dawn today. Holy shit it's good. That's my review after about 1 hour anyway. I'm comparing it mostly to Witcher 3 I guess.
    - graphics: amazing. I haven't noticed any kind of framerate drop yet either.
    - control of the character: in Witcher 3 I often find that the camera is too close behind the character. Or something. Something is wrong with it for me. This feels really good.
    - the controls feel really snappy.
    - I'm pretty intrigued to find out what's up with these robots. I found the Witcher 3 story to kind of drag at times. I hope this one is a bit more gameplay focused to go through the story rather than cutscenes. We'll see...
    - even the map looks really cool.

This game engine they've created/modified for the game is amazing. I'd be excited to see what else could be done with it.

"...collaboration between Housemarque (Resogun, Alienation, Matterfall), and Robotron and Smash TV legendary creator Eugene Jarvis..."

Just came out on PC. Works decent with a mouse and kb but I think I'd do better with a controller. Unfortunately I don't own a two stick one. I'll have to try to borrow one from somebody.

So I picked up a cheap logitech pc controller to play Nex Machina. I haven't played a console in so long my hands cramped up almost immediately. I get the value of a stick for scenarios where you need a range of sensitivity but just for controlling the firing direction I would prefer a pad.

I've seen where some controllers have a pad with a removable stick. That would work better for me, or even something height adjustable somehow as it just feels a little too tall resulting in more required movement to change direction and my thumb slips around on it. I'm sure I'll acclimate but the ergonomics are sub-optimal at the moment.

The only other complaint I have about the otherwise great game is that it's a little too faithful to the arcade shooters of the past: There's no save and 100 levels I believe. I can spend hours on an rpg or whatever but adrenaline rush breakneck play for hours is a thing of the past for me so I'll likely never see the later ones unless I take up meth. Hopefully they'll enable some kind of non-hardcore option for this later.

I don't play a lot of games like this anymore but a couple here and there satisfies the need for something old arcade style. If you're in need of a modern sensory overload Robotron fix give this a look.

Oh and I liked Alien Isolation a lot.

Type
    xNxx
    Doom: Kind of disappointed with this, it just doesn't have the feel of the old games. I don't particularly like the platforming aspect. I know the old games had this. I also actually miss not having to aim in the vertical axis. It gave the old game a very focused quality.

GTA V: Chill but not as satisfying as San Andreas or Vice City. Too many dumb missions. For instance, I don't want to use an industrial crane, I don't want to do ps4 yoga.

Fallout 4: Pretty great. Combat is fun, exploration is fun.

Assassin's Creed 4: Fun so far, only played about an hour of this game.

Bloodborne just keeps getting better and better. It's fucking hard.

MGSV is also very great, but I am quickly running out of story. Good thing the gameplay is fun.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    GTA V: Chill but not as satisfying as San Andreas or Vice City. Too many dumb missions. For instance, I don't want to use an industrial crane, I don't want to do ps4 yoga.
    I agree re: dumb missions. I'd also throw in all missions that involved flying. It is called Grand Theft Auto, after all. Any mission segment that involved flying I'd just instantly fail three times in a row to "skip". Otherwise, I love the game.

I'd love to play a Vice City remake with modern graphics and controls... It is by far my favorite of the GTA games.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    I agree re: dumb missions. I'd also throw in all missions that involved flying. It is called Grand Theft Auto, after all. Any mission segment that involved flying I'd just instantly fail three times in a row to "skip". Otherwise, I love the game.

I'd love to play a Vice City remake with modern graphics and controls... It is by far my favorite of the GTA games.
    I agree. Vice city was fairly accurate too. I think I lived and worked in Miami at the time and the same brand gas station was in the same place IRL in a number of places, like south beach.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Doom: Kind of disappointed with this, it just doesn't have the feel of the old games. I don't particularly like the platforming aspect. I know the old games had this. I also actually miss not having to aim in the vertical axis. It gave the old game a very focused quality.

Fallout 4: Pretty great. Combat is fun, exploration is fun.

Assassin's Creed 4: Fun so far, only played about an hour of this game.

Bloodborne just keeps getting better and better. It's fucking hard.

MGSV is also very great, but I am quickly running out of story. Good thing the gameplay is fun.
    Awesome that you got a PS4. I tried Doom at a friend's house and within about 5-10 minutes I decided that it wasn't worth buying. Played and beat GTAV and agree with you for the most part, but I personally think it's more compelling than San Andreas (which I never bothered to finish). Fallout 4 was awesome up until the point that I realized that there are multiple endings and I couldn't do everything on a single playthrough. I refuse to touch any Assassin's creed game ...

Bloodborne is the best game I've played on PS4 by a WIDE margin. It definitely is or approaches being "high art". The game was insanely difficult to me in the beginning, then it got easier for me, then it got insanely hard again, and then I beat the "final" 3 bosses (depends on your choices) without dying (and they certainly weren't easy). The game has some odd phenomenological quirks that I feel I could write a book about. I also have the Bloodborne table top card game sitting on my desk unopened.

I've been playing A LOT of MGSV lately. I started playing and put in a lot of time, mostly feeling like the game was just an oddity. Then I realized that I had spent so much time playing with my blinders on and suddenly grasped the sheer emergent complexity and beauty of the game. I've played for about 60 hours and am only at 25% completion (and have only completed 15 story missions). In terms of pure game mechanics, this is probably one of the best produced games ever.

I GOT A VR

Have done almost nothing with it so far except watch South Park on Hulu Plus in their little virtual living room thing.

More than half my time spent on the PS4 is just watching HBO and Showtime on Vue.
    Last edited by notdavidlynch; 07-04-2017 at 07:00 AM.