Page 84 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast

Thread: I just played..

Type
    INTP
    I just finished playing through Grand Theft Auto 5 (single-player) for the Nth time. (Whereas Online can fuck itself into an even deeper hole, for all I care).

It remains one of the best games I've ever played, perhaps the very best (rivaled closely by Super Metroid). The core gameplay is exactly what I want (third person free-roam in an large open world). The graphics continue to be impressive to this day, for what they are. The writing ... if I could write something only half as a good before I die, I would have lived a satisfied life for that alone. The unrestrained humorous indictment of American culture, the very dry cynical sense of humor, and yet it all sums up to a certain thematic gravitas.

Sure, I've spent years now just picking away at the game with mods, exploring what was never meant to be explored, breaking the scripts of missions, etc -- just because that is a fun all its own (and it just deepens my respect for all the mechanics and "what ifs" the developers coded for, even off the beaten-path). But to just play the game as it was intended continues to be a fully engaging, rewarding and inspiring experience for me.

Edit: which reminds me. For as much as I lauded the notion of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for returning to its roots (as a third-person free-roam open-world action-adventure game)... when I actually got to playing the game, I pretty quickly soured on the completely un-fun mechanics like weapon breakage. There's a minor flaw, and then there's a game-killer. If Zelda: BoTW cleaned up its bullshit, as such, it could easily dethrone GTA5. I keep tabs on the Zelda: BoTW PC-emulator scene, waiting for a solid experience to emerge, and one which (through mods or otherwise) allow me to turn off or re-tune the bullshit weapon breakage stuff.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    I just finished God of War and DOOM (2016)​ via my PS Now subscription. Now I'm really looking forward to getting DOOM Eternal on PC in March.

Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I was extremely disappointed in the latest God of War and Bloodborne--mostly for the same reason. I don't know who came up with mapping melee combat to the shoulder and trigger buttons, but I bet they like sucking farts from assholes. It doesn't feel good at all.
    Both of those games are excellent, but neither is a comfortable experience in the beginning. God of War didn't really click for me until I starting going after the Valkyries, which forces you to git gud and makes the rest of the game a walk in the park.

Type
    eNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    Both of those games are excellent, but neither is a comfortable experience in the beginning. God of War didn't really click for me until I starting going after the Valkyries, which forces you to git gud and makes the rest of the game a walk in the park.
    I'm doing the PS Now thing at the moment as well, so retrying God of War isn't going to be an option for the foreseeable future. But I'll give Bloodborne another chance after I either finish, grow bored of, or lose access to Persona 5.

Question: when making your Hunter... did you go for the enormous nose look too? I don't know why, it just felt like the thing to do. Something about having the ability to make a caricature compelled me to do it.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

A Transient Configuration Sistamatic's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I just bought the entire Croteam games VR lineup, including every serious sam title to date, for 15 dollars in the steam winter sale, and I just got witcher 3 for 10. My first world problem is that I've really been looking forward to having the time to sink my teeth into Elite Dangerous, but now I have all these other things. Plus my youngest brother really really wants me to play eso with him. Not a terrible problem to have I guess.

I've never tried to get all the achievements for a game before, but I've only got 3 to go in Beat Saber and I think it's in my grasp, so maybe I'll go for it? Clear all missions in a campaign, clear final mission in a campaign, and get full combo on 15 songs in expert mode. I think I'm halfway there for the expert mode one, but the campaigns are going to probably require me to do some training in some of the less used options like single saber and reversed colors and whatnot. The missions that frustrate me the most are the ones that require me to miss every Xth note. The level of focus required to pass those missions is... well it's probably good for me is what it is. I suspect the combined mental and physical coordination and focus required to play beat saber at high levels has been very good for me in terms of warding off some of the mental impacts of the aging process. As for the motivation to do the achievements, the real payoff isn't the achievements themselves, it's the impetus to improve myself in order to get them.

I've been toying around with ghost notes (cubes are not visible, and the arrows disappear before coming into range, and their colors are barely discernible...focus and the ability to subconsciously plan ahead for complex combos is key) and 360 (notes come from all directions), and I think these additions to the game give me some real room for improvement. Ghost note/360/high speed combined, when you can pull it off, makes you feel like a jedi or something. I have scored in the top 100 on the global leaderboard in a few songs now because using ghost notes on high speed gives you an additional 18 percent score. I even got top 5 in one level. I was redorkishly excited about it.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

This SEP field is glorious!

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Question: when making your Hunter... did you go for the enormous nose look too?
    I barely remember what I looked like, but I'm sure I didn't have a big nose. I'd play that game again if I didn't have Sekiro in my backlog of games to finish.

Type
    INTP
    Dusk is great fun, a love-letter to Quake and Doom. Fast, no fluff. Haven't played an FPS so enjoyable in over a decade.

I borrowed the Outer Worlds from a friend, aka Fallout in space. Obsidian had every opportunity to avoid obvious pitfalls of the 3D FO series, but decide to just stick with the formula. It's still a slog of loading screens. Even for those side missions with the only requirement being to talk to another character literally yards away behind the city door, you're just hitting load screens back and forth. Lacking a buffer of exploration or combat for fetch quests in some cases makes for an absurd time sinking simulator. Speaking of which there's so much fucking loot on the ground you could be spending 70% of your time just looting if you're being thorough clearing rooms. There must be a demographic that fucking loves that, because it's like a ball pit. Weapon swapping is terrible for some reason. The writing is good, the visuals are nice, skills and specs are what you'd expect. Upgrading stealth beyond the point you get a crit bonus seems pointless. There are no silent takedowns and enemies stay collectively on high alert near you after being attacked. There are "quieting" weapon mods, but don't see the point. The cursor over the world map is comically slow.

Recommended for obsessive looters and completionist types who get a wave of satisfaction seeing chores on a list get crossed out, words of validation from NPCs and xp numbers pop up on screen. Partially rec for people who want an adventure game. Not recommended if you just want to shoot things in the face. Just like the Witcher 3 I guess, except with more loading screens.

I had also tried Avernum: Escape From The Pit recently. There's lots to appreciate about it, but maybe my CRPG card should be revoked. I don't enjoy these.

Type
    INFP
    Started Shadow of the Tomb Raider on PS Now. Not really my cup of tea ... The cut scenes are unbearably lame and the game flow is mostly linear.

Type
    eNTP
    Indivisible.

2d animation with a z-planed background done right. Finally. Again. Parallax scrolling isn't new tech, but making "3d" platforms for 2d platforms that don't interfere with platforming isn't something you see much. That 2.5d shit is generally lame. This uses 2d sprites for characters, and they are well animated. It's that near cartoon/comic book quality I always hope for--and I'm not seeing the residue of the half-assed animation techniques that are abysmally popular these last few years. Cut-out animation is something you have to aim at, it's not just a tool for animation. It's its own style and when you use it like it's just ordinary animation, you fail and fail hard. Same for using bones and fields to warp the shape of sprites.

This is clean animation. At worse, they could use a few more frames here and there. No biggy. But there's some squash and deform and it all looks clean.

The controls are a bit... challenging at times though. It's got something similar going on to Ninja Gaiden--when a movement triggers, it triggers and often I could use a cancel. The lack of cancel has made some of the tricky combos necessary to traverse the main path of the game much more difficult. There appears to be a dead frame or two at the end of certain critical traversal moves that leads me to triggering the next part too early, and then too late. I wouldn't be surprised if this had cancels I just haven't found yet because it was made by the same people who made Skullgirls--so they understand the issue as a gameplay element pretty intimately.

Speaking of gameplay, I get the sense this game was made with a specific challenge: to put gameplay in the gamplay so you can experience gameplay while you experience gameplay. There's a ton of gameplay in this. They started with a generally metroidvania traversal system that most could have just made a decent budget game with. Guacamelee did it twice. But they didn't stop there. The also included a Active Battle System that Squeenix wishes they'd thought of. And a fairly large cast of characters with a reasonable amount of variety in their movesets and the advantages they bring to the table, if you use them correctly.

That said, I'd like to see a little more movement depth. Mostly I find the main character's battle animations are getting a bit boring and she's the only character you can't swap out when you get tired of their animations. Alternatively, they could make the battles shorter and I wouldn't notice the repetition as much.

The biggest flaw, is that as you get more powerful (potentially) you also become more vulnerable to party wipes. This happens because of two things. The first is that you can only do a resurrection spell when you have full "Action Points", or as I think of it, "Party Mana". You start with a single block which can either be used for a super attack, or to mass rez downed party members. Then you become more powerful, gain more blocks, but you still need to earn full mana to do a rez. The second is that you start running across groups of monsters that can one shot any of your party members.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Type
    INTP
    Axiom Verge -- again. In anticipation of the recently announced sequel. And because it hits the sweet spot of Metroidvania goodness for me.

INFj-Ne (EII) / 9w1 sourpatchkid!'s Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    i've been playing a lot of DC Injustice 2 lately, app version. i love the physics, etc. of the gameplay. favorite character so far is Hellboy.

i really only play one game at a time.
    hellogoodbye