Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: I just played..

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    I used to do that too, and I've really had to stop myself because it's such a waste, especially because then I'll feel obligated to play them even when I never really want to, or after I play them for a few minutes and realize I don't want to. I have 84 games in my steam library and maybe 25% of those I would choose to buy again.
    Just experienced this exact feeling after loading up Skyrim and The Witcher 2 first time, only to realize I didn't like the first-person combat system of Skyrim and I don't really know the story of the other game too well. It's strange; As I get older, I have less patience for the delayed gratification that's necessary to immerse myself in the world of the games -- Pretty much I give each one a 5 minute run-through, with very few actually making it too far beyond that. The last game I actually played from start to finish that I recent bought was Batman: Arkham City, and that's only because I had somewhat of a familiar context from which to play the content, characters, and story.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgold View Post
    tf2 has provided infinite value to me in that it cost $0 and returned over 1000 hours of hot, multiplayer action.

oh wait no I spent $5 on a hat

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    A cheap game well worth the money, Savant: The Ascent.

Ever listened to dubstep and wondered what kind of game that might produce in the glory days of 16 bit sprite awesomeness? This is that game. It could be a Neo-Geo game--it's gorgeous, insane and Nintendo-hard. You'll play it and wonder why you can't get past the first screen. You'll think, "there must be some mechanic I'm missing--something that makes this game a little less unfair. You'll be half right.

It took me about an hour to see the second level--once I figured out what I was missing, it only took about 5-10 more lives. Fortunately, the game saves your level and power state so you while you start at the beginning of a level on dying, you don't start from the ground floor.

Here's the breakdown: you are some sort of sorceror--or something. It doesn't fucking matter. You're a crazy looking badass who looks like the Joker in a Guy Fawkes costume spewing energy bolts from his hands while perpetually being graced with a badass breeze to ripple your clothing. You are also fragile. Take three hits and it's lights out. Oh, and you can get hit while trying to dodge.

You have four main buttons (the count goes up a little as you get more powers, but there are four basic button controls). You have your shootin' button. This is left mouse and you'll be holding it down most of the game--you aim with the mouse and watch the streams fly in the direction of the cursor. The other three main buttons are your dodging buttons. On to go to the left platform (or standing spot in the first level), one to slide to the right platform (or standing spot in the first level), and one to make a high parabolic leap between the two platforms (standing spots) instead of shifting in a straight line. You can still take a hit while in transition, so choosing the right dodge is as important as when to dodge.

It's a sort of bullet hell shoot-em-up, but with more restricted movement. And it works.

The combination of no room for error, dubsteppy soundtrack, tight controls and over the top concept play out to leave you feeling very very special when you start consistently dodging and choosing your targets appropriately. The learning curve is pretty sheer, but it's fast and easy to get into.

To help you out should you decide to try it, the missing bit is this: when the CD bits show up, click on them. It does several things that help you out. The first is, it looks awesome. The second is, it gives you a period of invulnerability--that's the only time you'll get it and it's very handy. The third thing it will do is unlock more songs. The last and most important thing it does is unlocks new abilities.

Oh... it's $2. Cheap old-fashioned fun that reminds me why I like to play games in the first place.
    You winsome, you loathsome.
    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    TaleTell's The Walking Dead season 2

Never before has there been so many feels in such a short time-frame.
    Same! Finally finished season 1 and started on 2.

Spoiler: heys
    I really wanted to befriend that dog.

._.

Is there some way I can play the game so I can befriend that dog and it doesn't die
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    Same! Finally finished season 1 and started on 2.

Spoiler: heys
    I really wanted to befriend that dog.

._.

Is there some way I can play the game so I can befriend that dog and it doesn't die
    Spoiler: response
    No, it dies regardless of your decision. Pretty much when they dog turned on me I just yelled "Oh, fuck off, telltale!" really loud, because even in the most bleak of situations, they still find a way to yank any semblance of hope or friendship right from underneath your feet. Also, I know that they consider killing the dog an exercise of mercy, but I just couldn't do it -- I couldn't bring a little girl to have to kill a dog, and I perceived it as an act of vengeance.

Formerly PiccoloNamek Lunar Delta's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Ah, Vagrant story. VS is a masterpiece for all the reasons Hephaestus mentioned, and also because of its fantastic soundtrack. The bombastic, hard-driving, heavily experimental percussion driven music totally makes the atmosphere. Here is one of my favorite songs from the game, a song about a fight with, well, a giant iron crab:

Personally, I've been replaying Skyrim, but with a great deal of armor, weapon, and combat modifications. In particular, the mod "Skyrim Redone (SkyRe)" drastically modifies the perk system, the battle mechanics, and adds a multitude of new ways to customize one's character and their abilities, and makes fighting in general significantly more challenging. I also installed a shitload of visual mods, mostly texture and lighting modifications. My Skyrim looks better than it ever has before!

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 12-27-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Type
    INTP
    I was playing Pokemon Yellow a few weeks ago. I still had all of the Pokemon from when I was like 10, that was a blast from the past.

Yesterday I played Armored Core 4 a bit. I really don't play video games much these days but sometimes it's fun to pilot a giant flying mech robot that shoots missiles and has a sword. It's a lot like loading up Grand Theft Auto just to go on a historically deadly rampage...

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by mercurial View Post
    I was playing Pokemon Yellow a few weeks ago. I still had all of the Pokemon from when I was like 10, that was a blast from the past.
    I'll never forget the emotional scarring that occurred from the loss of my walking Pikachu in Pokemon Yellow when a friend convinced me to trade it to him and then refused to give it back -- On that day, I shed tears like I'd had my ass smacked after emerging from the womb.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    There should have been blood. Do you still know this monster?
    You winsome, you loathsome.
    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I'll never forget the emotional scarring that occurred from the loss of my walking Pikachu in Pokemon Yellow when a friend convinced me to trade it to him and then refused to give it back -- On that day, I shed tears like I'd had my ass smacked after emerging from the womb.
    You should give this guy's personal info to 4chan. Justice shall be done!

Type
    InTP
    I used to delete my brother's save on pokemon all the time.
    "A new immortal appeared in front of you. Would you like preparations of inception?"