Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: I just played..

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyBard View Post
    You should give this guy's personal info to 4chan. Justice shall be done!
    He eventually traded it back, but things were never the same...

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Sounds like "Indecent Proposal", but with less sex and no money.
    You winsome, you loathsome.
    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    You could go to Japan where Pikachu stealing is prosecutable, they can issue an INTERPOL warrant, and he can be tried in Saudi Arabia or somewhere else where they cut peoples' hands off.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    This latest steam sale extending to the 3rd of January has really got my debit card by the balls. I know I'll never play half these games, but I sell myself on the hypothetical entertainment value that games hold, and in reality I just end up collecting them like little mounds of foreign, exquisite cheeses held in airtight vacuum freezer bags that'll never know the delight they present to the human taste bud.
    hahaha! Yes, Steam can really rack up the credits if you're not careful -- dissemination straight to your computer on the fly + the staggering discounts at times.

Like others have suggested, I've had to force myself to consider whether I will REALLY play the game and whether the cost is low enough to warrant risking whether I'll play or not.

I did grab Tomb Raider (latest release) for 80% off, though. I was waiting for that game to go on sale, and only ponying up about $10 for it was an incredible bargain.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Charde View Post
    hahaha! Yes, Steam can really rack up the credits if you're not careful -- dissemination straight to your computer on the fly + the staggering discounts at times.

Like others have suggested, I've had to force myself to consider whether I will REALLY play the game and whether the cost is low enough to warrant risking whether I'll play or not.

I did grab Tomb Raider (latest release) for 80% off, though. I was waiting for that game to go on sale, and only ponying up about $10 for it was an incredible bargain.
    I just convinced myself to spend $2.49 on Fallout: New Vegas using the rationalization of "Well, I know I'll never play it, who can turn down that deal while it costs as much as a bottle of Windex..."

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I just convinced myself to spend $2.49 on Fallout: New Vegas using the rationalization of "Well, I know I'll never play it, who can turn down that deal while it costs as much as a bottle of Windex..."
    For some reason, I skimmed this as "Fallout: Windex" and then was picturing a bunch of guys squirting each other with spray bottles and someone screaming, "MY EYES! MY EYES!"

... I have about twelve games in my steam account I haven't even opened yet... and more that I've never finished. *doh*

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    With the discount, I picked up Spelunky on Steam. Prior to this, it just seemed a little perverse to buy a game that was already free just for a new tile-set. I mean, the free version is still free, and remains completely playable and tremendous fun. Ironically, it's that tremendous fun that was the tipping point, pun intended. With the price down to a few dollars, I suddenly thought, "Y'know what. This guy deserves some money. He made a fantastic game that I've gotten hours of enjoyment, then, went back and polished the visuals."

There's a little more to this line of thought mind you. But it came down to a price I was willing to pay to encourage the sort of thinking that makes games like this. It has a simple skill set--so simple I think with a little bit of creativity, it could be ported to the NES. There's a few more controls than buttons but if you replace a dedicated dash button with a double tap to dash and use select to cycle between the basic tools and basic use command (ala Zelda), you would lose only a little of the timing flexibility of having dedicated buttons to bombs and ropes. Then you just make pressing A + B to replace the button for going to the next level and BAM! It's an NES game.

But that's beside the point. The point is, this is a game that has taken a simple set of rules and built up delightful complexity. Some of this comes from having the monsters just as vulnerable as you are. A game that lets you throw unconscious enemies onto spike traps transforms the way the player thinks about spike traps.

It also is a rare game that makes saving the girl strictly optional. Most games, if there's a girl to save, you must save the girl, else: consequences. Often, losing. Here, you find some girl trapped and calling for help, and you get to decide: is it worth the risk? Can I even get to her without using up too many of my limited resources?

And once you do get to the girl, there are options about how to handle the situation. You have to carry her out which limits your options, unless you get really good at finding a place to set her down that won't kill her. But the game balances this by making her fairly durable--and thereby and effective throwing weapon. Just mind the spike traps.

It's a rare game where you can be in the process of saving the girl, mess up, and have moment where you see your failure, think "Dang", and just move on.

It's also a rare game where you can choose to sacrifice any and all humanoids you can knock unconscious to Kali for profit and useful items.

It's an even rarer game that lets you get a golden monkey than poops gold and gems.

The only lament I have is that in addition to the new tileset, he added multiplayer crap, so most of his added features are meaningless to me. But the core game is good enough that I'm glad to send a few bones his way for a slightly prettier game.

If you haven't played Spelunky, I'd still recommend finding the free version first and playing with it. All your skills will transfer, and you'll get a chance to see how much you like it without any real restrictions on how much game you can have. All you'll be buying is gilding.

Type
    INTP
    Long Live the Queen

Yeah, this game is pretty cool. You play as a fourteen year old girl who's the princess of a fictional kingdom and is going to be queen in a year. It plays like a mix between a simplified Princess Maker and a Visual Novel - you choose classes every week for her to take that will improve certain skills. How much they improve is dependent on her mood, which has four sliding scale factors and her mood is affected by pretty much everything else that happens. Scripted events happen each week for which you make choices, your skills affecting the choices available and their outcomes, and then your choices change what happens in the future, etc.

I've put 9 hours into this thing and she hasn't survived to be queen yet. I have managed to have her die in a different way each time, so that's pretty cool. It's got a fun, cutesy artstyle and a pretty good soundtrack and the backstory is actually pretty intricate, there's all kinds of politics and history and intrigue to be explored, along with a whole magical girl fantasy aspect. It's also not creepy like Princess Maker was. I got it on sale and I'd say my five bucks was well spent here.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Rogue Legacy has one of the worst cases of consolitis I've ever seen. If you're going to port--fix the fucking control prompts. Assholes.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Rogue Legacy has one of the worst cases of consolitis I've ever seen. If you're going to port--fix the fucking control prompts. Assholes.
    You know there are a lot of people using gamepads with it on PC, right? I'd be surprised if they weren't the majority, 2D platformers are usually better with a controller.