Page 59 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: I just played..

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    If your primary desire is to kick Kefka's ass again, and you have a ps3, you can save about $65 by buying it via the PSN store.
    I think the impermanent relevance of a modern console makes it too irksome a platform for prospectively buying and replaying old games (unless accounts carry forward indefinitely but owing to architecture or otherwise downloadable PSN games for ps3 aren't necessarily available for ps4, or vista) I thought the nes and snes classic novelty was a bit ridiculous at first as one could emulate these for ages. But if you hack it to allow for the whole library I understand the appeal, it's kind of neat to have a dedicated machine for those old games to just straight up plug-and-play on a tv. Which, itself, will be impermanent anyway.. but should go a long way.

I played Super Dodgeball and Blades of Steel with a pal last month, that was fun. Those stock controllers really are too short though.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Jazz peenist Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    XNTX
    I love how Switch is bringing back a golden age of gaming. It's like old school Pokemon, final fantasy and old school 64 all in one. They totally get what worked in old school games, and what works with modern gaming, not relying too heavily on voice acting for example. At a time when you think everything new sucks, the Nintendo switch proves you wrong and makes modern day classics. It's the best console you will ever play on weed, and will bring a euphoric high that will bring you to tears. It's a prime hay day for smoking grass.
    Sound fury

Type
    INTP
    Capcom, what the fuck are you guys doing over there?

Stop making shitty cross-over cash grabs (Seriously, the degrees of separation between the respective Marvel and Capcom worlds is just staggering, like who even thought of that? Is your creative team a bunch of high school stoners who are holed up in some kids room tossing a tennis ball at the wall and spouting off the first two major brands that pop into mind? What's next DC Universe vs Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto catalog of characters)

Just give me a side-scrolling (none of this 3D nonsense) Mega Man game with decent graphics and some new, interesting power-ups, and you can have all the monies. AAALLLLL THHHHEEE MOOOONNNIIIEEEESSSSSS.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post

Stop making shitty cross-over cash grabs (Seriously, the degrees of separation between the respective Marvel and Capcom worlds is just staggering, like who even thought of that? Is your creative team a bunch of high school stoners who are holed up in some kids room tossing a tennis ball at the wall and spouting off the first two major brands that pop into mind? What's next DC Universe vs Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto catalog of characters)

Just give me a side-scrolling (none of this 3D nonsense) Mega Man game with decent graphics and some new, interesting power-ups, and you can have all the monies. AAALLLLL THHHHEEE MOOOONNNIIIEEEESSSSSS.

QFTT!
    You winsome, you loathsome.
    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    sims 4. so far, itís like what the sims 3 shoulda been. my first protagonist is a gloomy foodie who wants to be a master chef.

animal crossing pocket camp. itís day 3, iím level 20. donít ask me how or why.
    the clouds in the sky caress my mind so tenderly

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Arkham Knight. I'm glad I didn't pay money. I'm also glad I didn't get it until after the port got sorted into something playable.

It has an absurd amount of content for a story that takes place in a single night. I realize that to some extent, that's deliberate--but in a single playthrough I passed 40 hours of actual play. Steam has more time logged than that, but it ain't legit because I walked away to do things here and there, and to give up trying to figure out what reference some Riddler riddle was trying to make--or figure out where the last bloody breakable was in a subzone.

That last is pretty ridiculous because on the main map, when you pass near enough to an objective item, there's a means in place to add it to your map automagically. It's not cut and dry implementation or you could just soar over Gotham and have everything marked out--but it's better than never doing that. Further, for Riddler crap on the main map, you can find informants to populate your map with markers--no similar system exists for the sub-levels like Batman's lair in Parnassus Studios, or Stagg's airships.

It wouldn't be such a thorn if completionism wasn't a prerequisite for the "true" ending. Fucking asshole design is what that nonsense is.

The real kicker is: a lot of the Riddler content is so much better than the main game. Most of the Riddler stuff is a bit weak, but there are some fun little puzzles that gave a satisfying "aha!" moment in working out how to use your gadgets to get past an obstacle. The closest I got to that in the main game was noting that a solution to a Riddler puzzle would work for the scenario I was facing.

The biggest source of tedium though, isn't searching for Riddler trophies or figuring out what you're supposed to photograph and where the hell it is--I knew what most of the clues referred to, but there were quite a few that had to do with spotting an image on a wall or something that proved less than obvious--the biggest source of tedium is the Batmobile.

The Batmobile is awful. It controls ok. It looks cool. Some of the ways the devs shoehorned it into play were interesting, but everything that depended on the Batmobile was a goddam grind. Hope you like wave shooters using a slow strafing tank with slow cycling ammo, because that's about half the game. I quit when the battle with Deathstroke turned out to be another goddam tank battle against the hardest to kill and hardest hitting tanks--and of course, Deathstroke's is OP. Fuck that noise.

I didn't even use the Batmobile to get around town. I upgraded the ejection seat so it could fast launch high into the sky and glided everywhere--then summoned the Batmobile again if it turned out I needed it at my destination. The Batmobile is grossly overused.

Then there are the egregious "difficult to be difficult" design decisions. One branch of objectives is to take out a fleet of APC's. Each time it's the same thing: find an APC, chase it, it calls support that you then whittle away, and then you take it out too. Each iteration becomes a little more difficult in terms of speed and the route the APC and crew take to try to escape, the amount of resistance, and how often they shoot you with rockets. Did I mention this is all done using rockets that are only used for chasing down vehicles, that cycle more slowly than your regular rockets, require a lock, and can have the locking completely reset by anything interfering? You don't notice for the first half, but by the last few--the last two APC's were slightly faster than the Batmobile, and took 90 degree turns at full speed, on rails, and fire rockets with a much faster cycle time than the Batmobile. Utter bullshit.

Doable, but it was utter bullshit doing it.

The identity of the Arkham Knight was telegraphed early and often and by the time he was revealed I was tired of waiting.

For all the crankiness I'm spewing, I did enjoy much of the game. But the parts that are bad are atrocious. The parts that are good managed to keep the ship afloat to 98% completion--but just barely.

Type
    ENTP
    still playing thimbleweed park

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    As many of you already know, Bethesda is offering a free weekend with Fallout 4 via Steam. I appreciate it. I'm positive my curiosity will be burned out by the time the weekend trial is over. It's a right turd and I haven't even gotten to the parts I've heard people didn't like.

Some games have consolitis because they were ported clumsily. Some games have consolitis because in development, they tried to keep an eye on porting to consoles. Some games have consolitis because of simultaneous development for PC and consoles. This game has consolitis because it was only released for PC to avoid the hue and cry from the faithful without whom Fallout wouldn't be an ongoing IP.

The UI for PC is some of the worst garbage I've seen in a game in some time. The menu navigation in particular is so wretched it passes beyond absurd and into offensive.

First thing you should know is that Big-Shot Bethesda's solution to having a controller plugged into your PC somewhere is to turn off keyboard and mouse response. The default is to pretend your PC is a console to the point of denying the existence of other input devices. Once you use the controller to navigate the settings and turn off the controller--and back out of the settings so they are actually applied--you will lose access to the controller but get to use your mouse and keyboard. This change will not go unpunished.

Navigating basic menus is tedious and sloppy.

The opening character creation screen has decided to forgo the well established mod of labeled sliders. Instead, you hover your mouse over different facial bits, which then glow a little, and you can select that section to fiddle with in a loosey goosey manner. This has several problems, one of which being, you have no idea how many places there are to adjust, and no good zero point to get back to where you were while you're figuring out how the setting can be manipulated and what that manipulation does. The closest you have to a zero point is to back out without confirming the change. But by using this method, all your changes are very "floaty" and there are very few changes you can reliably replicate. The ones you can are replicable precisely because they include a visible numeric value. You can adjust the opacity percentage on scars, blemishes, and make-up type effects, but no where else do you get a numeric value.

Furthermore, while adjusting your facial appearance is not just a twitchy wiggle-fest with poor feedback, it's a twitchy wiggle fest with a fidgeting target--at least from a mouse it is. With a controller you will be moving along an invisible list unavailable to mouse users. Mouse users must hope they found the right pixel batch to select the feature they want to use, and some of the targets are small enough that the uncontrollable fidgeting will cause you to select something other than you intended to. Actual adjustments are also somewhat sensitive to this fidget factor--probably. Hard to tell when you can't see what you're setting something to or how fast it's value is changing.

Once you give up on getting the face to look sufficiently human--not that it matters because you won't see it much in the rest of the game anyway--you'll find that everywhere there is a menu, it's done in a retarded manner. I find myself not wanting to do shit because the menu is so awful. As a basic litmus test, to demonstrate how awful it is, the beginning point from which all the rest of the abject failures cascade, the default for talking to people is to push an arrow key for a response that in all likelihood doesn't change much. I've conversation-wheeled before and this one is extra lazy in it's formation. There are games that almost never have more than three options per conversation node that are infinitely more complex than this one is and it always has four possible replies--but I'm pretty sure at least three of them are the same response as far as the game is concerned in any given conversation prompt.

I believe you can click on the relevant arrow--but I haven't been impressed with click selecting their buttons. It seems pretty hit or miss, mostly miss.

Try using a terminal. Holy crap it's bad. Your best bet is to take your hand off the mouse, and navigate by clumsy keyboard controls. You know what makes these controls especially clumsy? The key to back out of a menu is the TAB key, not the Escape key, like god intended, but the fucking TAB key. Using Escape will take to a system menu, giving you access to changing settings, saving, loading, and that sweet mercy: quit. At least it has a quit to desktop from in game option. Not that Alt+F4 doesn't work fine, but I prefer to be able to quit to desktop from in-game via menu. It gives me more confidence things might be let go cleanly.

Of course, it is a Bethesda game, so... using an in-game menu to quit to desktop may well create a memory leak that can only be cleared by restarting the box.

There is no menu, save the main one, that functions well, because they designed all their menus to use a controller and clearly added mouse and keyboard support at the last second. It's also clear that they handed the task of mouse and keyboard support to the intern with the least experience using either to navigate anything, and went with whatever they came up with first. Furthermore, this was a UI or UX design intern. It was a programming intern. It was some office drone hopeful pulled from shadowing the guy who stocks the vending machines, because the intern kept screwing up and people were getting grape soda instead of root beer.

That's how bad their menus are.

It's not even like the controls elsewhere are tight. They aren't. The aiming and shooting is bad. It feels loose and clunky and you're never sure if you hit because you aimed and hit, or because the game decided you hit. This was fine in the first two Fallouts because they were isometric tactical combat games. You shouldn't get the feeling from a first person shooter--not that Fallout should ever have been a first person shooter, but that's a complaint I finished burying with Fallout 3.

As long as Bethesda is making them, and as long as they are first person shooters, it's not a question of if, but how the Fallout games suck. For Fallout 4, it's token contempt for PC's, and the horrible menus they made to demonstrate it. There's probably more that would annoy me, but this core non-functionality is enough to damn it all to hell several times over.

It's bad.

Skip it.

PS: If you decide to try using a controller, you'll discover their UI team is dim when it comes to default keymapping for controllers too. In the standard button cross pattern, they made the top button for jumping. There are two buttons most commonly used for jumping. That button is neither of them.

Just because you do something differently doesn't mean the result is innovative.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Worked out the crafting and base building system. It is not inviting.

Life is too short to play Fallout 4.

Type
    INTP
    Now this was a proper motherfuckin' game (I played it on PC, not PS4).

10/10