Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Being sick

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Being sick

I have no patience for someone hoping to be catered to while they have the flu, angina, a fever, or any other minor ailment of the sort. I only make exceptions for kids (because, duh) and boyfriends (because somehow then it's fun for me - I'm disgusting).

But getting a call from someone who lives 15 blocks away asking me to go buy medication for them on a rainy day? Um, fuck no. Get up, put on a raincoat and drag your princess ass to a pharmacy like any of us mortals.

So are you stoic about minor ailments or a whiny pain in the ass?
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I have no patience for someone hoping to be catered to while they have the flu, or any other minor ailment of the sort. I only make exceptions for kids (because, duh) and boyfriends (because somehow then it's fun for me - I'm disgusting).
    The flu killed more people in 1918 than died in the whole of WWI. It infected a third of the world's population and killed an estimated 20 to 50 million people.

Type
    INTP
    Me sick: Throw me drugs and leave me the fuck alone. I'll see you when I've recovered. *stay in room*

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I have no patience for someone hoping to be catered to while they have the flu, angina, a fever, or any other minor ailment of the sort. I only make exceptions for kids (because, duh) and boyfriends (because somehow then it's fun for me - I'm disgusting).

But getting a call from someone who lives 15 blocks away asking me to go buy medication for them on a rainy day? Um, fuck no. Get up, put on a raincoat and drag your princess ass to a pharmacy like any of us mortals.

So are you stoic about minor ailments or a whiny pain in the ass?
    yes yes let the libertarianism flow through you my child

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    The flu killed more people in 1918 than died in the whole of WWI. It infected a third of the world's population and killed an estimated 20 to 50 million people.
    Well that was no regular flu.

Manflu, on the other hand, almost kills an estimated 20 to 50 million boyfriends a year.

Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    yes yes let the libertarianism flow through you my child
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Probably more relevant to point out that the flu kills something like 30,000 Americans annually in current times. I think most of them are infants or elderly though.

I don't get sick very often, but I'm generally alone in life when it happens. On the few occasions when I've been cohabiting and ill, there's usually a brief initial period of "let me take care of you!" followed by an annoyed "why aren't you better yet?", neither of which I want. I don't want to be waited on, just cut me some slack for not being 100% for a little while.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    One of my coworkers from Canada arrived in the bay area really sick last year. He's a big strapping lad, so when he said he couldn't work and just needed some water, I headed to the front desk and got his room number (letting them know why I needed it)
    I went to the store and got him a bunch of crap like dayquil, acetaminophen, cheese sticks, gatorade, fruit (all chargeable back to the company as a meal, naturally) and headed back to the hotel with this giant sack of get well stuff.
    The dude on front desk made a point of telling me that I was a good coworker and person for doing that. Normally, I hear a compliment and my first thought is often something like why are they telling me this, buttering me up, social engineering etc. but in this case I actually did appreciate it

Also Flu was scientifically proven to affect men worse than women. In my case, a cold/flu is never just that, I generally always get sinusitis as a bonus which can last longer than the cold and be more miserable in bringing sinus pain, headache and even toothache.

Type
    intp
    Seems like an Italian thing. Those people get a cough and act like they're on their death bed. Not to mention the abject fear of cold weather, as if rhinovirus and flu spontaneously materialize in the air itself as soon as it gets somewhat chilly.
    "Doesn't matter what a man has if he doesn't have purpose. You take that away from him, man usually goes with it." -Beau

Type
    INTP
    Despite my tendency to make whiny posts here I'm not whiny at all IRL. Grumpy maybe, but not whiny.

I don't expect anyone to do anything for me either.... except maybe doctors cuz that's their job and all.

I don't like it when people come to work and whine and try to get me to do some of their work for them because they're not feeling well. Sometimes they'll even do this for really minor stuff like a headache, or they feel like their getting sick.

Type
    INTP
    It's really nice when I'm sick and rhinosaur brings me a glass of water. Assuming I'm not too nauseous to drink water.
    I had an ex that always wanted me to make him soup when he was sick. If you're not too sick to eat then you're not too sick to get your own fucking soup. I think I'd be more amenable to getting drugs for someone 15 blocks away than making soup for someone under my own roof because they're too sick to do it themselves. That's just being a needy little whiner.