Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: College Spring Semester 2014, major, classes and how you are doing

Type
    INTP

College Spring Semester 2014, major, classes and how you are doing

This is my 4th semester, going for an associate in drafting & design. I am taking Intro to Electricity, Survey of Cad Applications, Manufacturing Processes, Project Engineering & Management, AutoDesk Inventor, Intro to Business. 16 hours, this should be relatively easy straght A's, nice after last semesters 3 B's

Type
    INTP
    Holy shit. Are you working at the same time? That's a lot of classes. Congratulations on having the motivation to pursue all that, it sounds worthwhile. The Cad and AutoDesk stuff has a lot of applications, I see people using it all the time in my line of work (IT).

Pan_Sonic_000
    I was going to start my curriculum in project management but have since delayed it due to actually becoming a project manager through an analytics startup venture between me and my best friend. I gave myself the title - fuck it.

How am I doing? I don't know. But I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm in way the fuck over my head. There are people from universities and institutions writing us, talking about shit that's way outside my area of expertise and offering grant money for access to data we've ingested. I'm pretending like I've got it all under control. Behind the scenes, I don't have a goddamn clue and I just take it a day at a time.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Eponymous View Post
    Holy shit. Are you working at the same time? That's a lot of classes. Congratulations on having the motivation to pursue all that, it sounds worthwhile. The Cad and AutoDesk stuff has a lot of applications, I see people using it all the time in my line of work (IT).
    I not going to be working for someone else. I will be working, building the next prototype of the HellBender guitar tremolo, I have a nice little shop out in the garage.

Type
    INTP
    Should be a pretty easy semester. Discrete math(seems pretty easy and kinda fun so far, the hardest part has been shrugging the habits from digital logic which it seems is slightly different for some reason), AC circuits(interesting stuff but the instructor is kind of a dumbass, he's giving us sinusoids that are partly in radians and partly in degrees and it's a pain in the ass. That and he just sucks at explaining things, the material seems pretty straightforward but I feel like I have to learn around him), Economics engineering and project management(online, two classes crammed into one, project management seems like just memorizing a bunch of useless jargon whereas the economics part seems simple enough and maybe useful) and Public speaking(UGGGHHHHH).

Normally I have at least one class that feels like it's going to be challenging, this term doesn't really feel like that. I do feel like I need to light a fire under my ass as far as working on my personal projects and the robotics club and getting ready to interview for the internship coop thing.

Type
    INTP
    Seriously no thanks on the public speaking. What degree are you after?

Type
    intp
    It's my last semester working toward a MS in Information Studies. I've got Understanding Research, Collection Management, and a capstone project that involves digitizing a museum's archive, setting up a processing plan for their backlog, and improving access for researchers. I expect it to be an easier workload than last semester, but I'm also applying for jobs and plan to present at a conference. I'm pretty over this program and school work in general, so the main problem is staying motivated to finish well.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I keep thinking about going back to school but it's going to be at least a year now before that happens, if it happens. I'm not totally sure what I want anymore and I'm getting used to life outside of school. In some ways school is just something that I used for filling the time and avoiding doing projects that are meaningful to me.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    This is Winter quarter. Start of second week (of 10).

I'm a studio art major.

I just dropped a class (Photography). I'm still enrolled in an English class about "Trauma Culture" (specifically death), an advanced Special Topics class where I get to do whatever I want for my project (but there's a lot of assigned reading), and another lower division studio class almost entirely dedicated to DHTML.

I'll do fine.

Sitting in the library right now finishing up a chapter from The Undertaking: Life Studies from the Dismal Trade.

Assuming I place into Spanish 4 on a placement exam: I'll only have to take 3 classes in the spring, or 12 units (the minimum for financial aid). They'll be 2 U/D studio classes and 1 L/D (such as the photo class that I just dropped).

If I don't place into Spanish 4, then I'll be here another summer, and probably won't even take Spanish (instead opting for an East Asian language).

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I keep thinking about going back to school but it's going to be at least a year now before that happens, if it happens. I'm not totally sure what I want anymore and I'm getting used to life outside of school. In some ways school is just something that I used for filling the time and avoiding doing projects that are meaningful to me.
    Don't go to grad school unless you absolutely need it to do what you want. I do, and I occasionally enjoy it, but I still begrudge doing classwork when I could be working toward meaningful projects.