Page 194 of 196 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196 LastLast
Results 1,931 to 1,940 of 1957

Thread: The Peanut Gallery

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    The whole idea of a "recipe" seems alien and mostly useless when it comes to normal at-home meals. Meal planning? Just grab a few different foods that complement and cook each of them using the appropriate method and amount of time. Use the right amount of salt, taking into consideration salt already present in canned stuff or pre-made sauces.
    I use recipes for food I’ve never cooked before that has a lot of ingredients, such as braises or stews that use a lot of spices/vinagre/wine and such, or tomatoes. You get the portions wrong with those and it can just taste off. I’ve done that and wound up with overly acidic stews or everything is purple because I overdid it with the wine... for a while I was just winging it with stir frying too until checked out some recipes and realized I was really overpowering everything with soy sauce and sautéing rather than really stir frying. And just in general for food I’m unfamiliar with, like Filipino or Persian food. Once I get a good feel for it then I just start winging it and making my own variations. But if it’s something simple like just pasta with sauce or meat with veggies then yeah, no recipe needed.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    i do meal prep without the more elaborate meal planning part. it’s difficult cuz the stuff i’m inclined to cook tends to not last very long in the fridge so i have to eat the same lunch or dinner for three days straight and i don’t do well with lack of variety, but yeah i can’t waste the food...

and recipes are just a guide to a certain result. they don’t necessarily need to be followed to the letter but they’re good learning tools when trying to make dishes with taste profiles different than whatever your “default” is. i’m not good at following recipes but they’re not useless just cuz i suck at following them.

my “default” is stir frying and i don’t usually need recipes for that but i can see how some people would need a recipe since you need to pay attention to proportions and sequence and timing and dryness/moisture levels and separating ingredients at different steps etc. it’s pretty easy to fuck up one thing and get a subpar result (and not even know it!).
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 02-14-2020 at 08:20 AM.
    FUCK SHIT

Type
    INFP
    My normal dinner week is:

couscous with various vegetables + feta (plus a cube or two of chicken stock, which is key to giving it enough flavor)
    burritos with various meats + veggies
    a frozen pizza or instant meal from the freezer
    pasta of some sort
    a new hearty recipe that will last a few dinners

I follow a new or fairly new recipe at least once a week. I like to use my cooking 'instincts' sometimes, but I'm not some top chef so why neglect tried-and-true, universally loved formulas from the Joy of Cooking (for example). It's a wonderful book.

I just meal plan for dinners. The rest of the time, I graze, and eat things that would horrify my boyfriend, like leftover rice with mustard.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Type
    INTP
    Who the fuck uses an app to plan meals?

For that matter -- who the fuck plans meals at all?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post

I thought meal planning is just deciding what to eat
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I thought meal planning is just deciding what to eat
    Yeah, I wasn't sure what it meant either.

I think it involves knowing days ahead what you'll eat and also maybe cooking stuff days ahead. Not a huge fan of that because cravings vary through the week. Sometimes you really just want to have pasta, for example. Or something sweet. Or really want red meat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    eNTP
    People for whom not planning isn't working out.

Caterers.

Anyone with sufficiently restrictive dietary restrictions. That could be some stripe of vegetarian, food allergies, or other assorted metabolic disorders severe enough to make meal planning a good option, which could be anything from poorly processing protein to getting diabetes under control.

People trying to get a grip on their life and taking personal responsibility for how they fuel their bodies.
    "Just because it's 2020 doesn't mean everyone has perfect vision."--catchphrase of a fictional comedian in some movie

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    the need to one-up others on trivial lifestyle details is a category of post i’m suddenly aware of
    FUCK SHIT

Type
    INTP
    People for whom not planning isn't working out.

Caterers.

Anyone with sufficiently restrictive dietary restrictions. That could be some stripe of vegetarian, food allergies, or other assorted metabolic disorders severe enough to make meal planning a good option, which could be anything from poorly processing protein to getting diabetes under control.

People trying to get a grip on their life and taking personal responsibility for how they fuel their bodies.
    People who'd like to eat marinated chicken for once.
    Heh. We've been here years now.