Page 196 of 198 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198 LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,960 of 1980

Thread: The Peanut Gallery

Type
    INTP
    Having worked as both a cook and a baker, the gender divide is definitely there and it's kinda weird. Like, I've seen plenty of male pastry chefs, but the bakeries I've worked in were mostly women, and the line cooks are almost all male. Cooking is more fast-paced and intuitive for sure, but also very sensory. Baking requires precision, patience and attention to detail. There is a ton of crossover - I think the bulk of the skillsets are common to both, it's just a different body of knowledge.

I think it's just more common for guys to get passionate about the stuff they like to eat, which is more often meat and savory foods, and women are more often passionate about the sweet things. But I would never see it as an insult to say that someone would be good at either. I guess it depends on local cultural stuff, and non-verbal things that let you know the person speaking is trying to be a dick.

Type
    eNTP
    I'm also on team "baking is more difficult". I can do it, but I'm more likely to screw it up, and I have to be more deliberate about recipes for longer before I'm sure I understand how it's working enough to start screwing around with variations on anything that goes in the oven. The stakes are higher too. You screw up and it's more likely to be the death of whatever it was you were making. But once you know the general pattern of many common baked goods, they're about the same level of difficulty to improvise--it just takes longer to find out if you were successful.

Speaking for myself, when I say I'm more a cook than a baker, I'm acknowledging that I'm more likely to be successful doing something that requires my near constant attention than something where I'm expected to walk away for an hour--hours for things like bread. Cleaning up rarely takes the entire bake-time and there's a non-trivial risk of me just forgetting about whatever it was I was making until it's ruined.
    "Just because it's 2020 doesn't mean everyone has perfect vision."--catchphrase of a fictional comedian in some movie

Type
    INTP
    I've earned the nickname "reckless baker" at home for sometimes not using exact amounts of some ingredient or changing things. So far so good.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP
    I have never, and will never subscribe to any YouTube channel. Why not? Instead I ask -- why?

"Why bother with this?", I asked myself years ago upon first observing it to be a thing. As I did then, I do now: I search for who/what I want to watch. If I tend to like a particular channel enough to remember its name, I search for it upon those occasions that I want to see what the channel has posted since last visit. Or I don't.

If I forget the name of a channel along the way, it means I didn't care enough to remember them. Meanwhile, there are those I remember well and routinely search to check up on.

Moreover, subscriptions as they are now are a total conflict of interest, and a broken one (e.g. that stupid fucking "bell") at that.

Even the search results are a compromised conflict-of-interest POS these days. My process now is 1. search the channel-name. 2. go to the channel page from a result. 3. click "Videos" to bypass the stupid default value. This gets me to a chronological list of that channel's videos. 4. I skim over what's new and click on whatever I find interesting (or not). For the ones that I very frequently visit, I directly bookmark that chronological videos-list page, and just use the bookmark.

Subscriptions: useless to begin with.
    Subscriptions: conflicted in interests.
    Subscriptions: broken.
    Subscriptions: noise.

Search: better.
    Browser bookmark: superior.
    Browser bookmark: signal.

Generally speaking, I've never understood "push" models for content. The appeal is completely missing to me. I "pull" what I want to consume, how and when I want to consume it.

Youtube Subscriptions:

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    One day I'm gonna publish a coffee table book of things that Ptah loathes, or at least can't be bothered with.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    One day I'm gonna publish a coffee table book of things that Ptah loathes, or at least can't be bothered with.
    You're going to need a sturdy coffee table for that book.
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    You're going to need a sturdy coffee table for that book.
    Would Ptah loathe such a book? Inquiring minds want to know!

If he would, the cover showing the cover showing the cover...

Type
    INTP
    The forum's dead

What are you all doing.
    All truth passes through three stages:

First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

Type
    INTP
    I finally started my part time job...

Type