Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Ask a question and expect an answer!

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Those long lasting hematomas under healed skin are one reason I won't try to remove my own lipoma like some people do on YouTube. I wouldn't want to invest in a cauterizing tool like a doctor would have and I might be left with a major black scar.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    INtP
    Anybody with knowledge of hospital or health insurance billing--

Can a hospital charge you sales tax? I'm weeding through a bill for mr oxy hospital stay and there was one item on the hospital bill that wasn't accounted for in health insurance records. The rep for the hospital billing dept said it was "sales tax for the room" (the amount in question is comparatively very small, like 0.1% of the bill but when we are taking their word on the goddamn large amount....it's the principle of the thing). I was like "????" and so was a rep for my insurance when I tried getting their input on it. The hospital is a non-profit, if that matters, and I'm waiting for a supervisor there to call me back. Any advice from people who have been there?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    https://taxfoundation.org/double-tax...patient-bills/ Looks like it varies from state to state.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    https://taxfoundation.org/double-tax...patient-bills/ Looks like it varies from state to state.
    Thanks. I found that article too, but I was disappointed that their tables were missing and the article they linked back to appear to be gone. Also most of it is focused on the hospital itself being charged sales tax for its purchases, with only allusions to "taxes that get passed along to patients in the form of higher bills."

A supervisor called me back and confirmed that it was "sales tax on the room." My next question, "ok what is the sales tax rate for the room?" Her answer was that she has no clue, and it may take her until tomorrow to get an answer on that.

If it is actually sales tax, then that shit needs to be documented and held separately to get submitted to the state, correct? Why does it need an act of congress to get this information?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    Thanks. I found that article too, but I was disappointed that their tables were missing and the article they linked back to appear to be gone. Also most of it is focused on the hospital itself being charged sales tax for its purchases, with only allusions to "taxes that get passed along to patients in the form of higher bills."

A supervisor called me back and confirmed that it was "sales tax on the room." My next question, "ok what is the sales tax rate for the room?" Her answer was that she has no clue, and it may take her until tomorrow to get an answer on that.

If it is actually sales tax, then that shit needs to be documented and held separately to get submitted to the state, correct? Why does it need an act of congress to get this information?
    I was struck by just how ungoogleable the whole thing was. Almost like no one knows the answer.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    I was struck by just how ungoogleable the whole thing was. Almost like no one knows the answer.
    Was just trying to imagine what bill for eating out would be like if handled like hospital stay.

Me: Hi, I'd like to order.
    Waiter: You'll need the cheese enchiladas and buffalo wings appetizer with coffee.
    Me: Oh, ok. How much will that cost?
    Waiter: No idea. STFU and enjoy the atmosphere.

During meal waiter periodically takes fork out of my mouth and pours coffee down my throat. At some point chips and salsa appear along with a fruit basket. Them I'm moved to another table mid meal.

Me: I'd like to leave, can I have the bill?
    Waiter: You have to wait till the manager let's you go, then you'll get the bill in the mail in two weeks.
    Me: ???
    Waiter: And don't think about not paying because we'll ruin your life.

BILL arrives in mail 3 weeks later:

Chair Fee: $10.33
    Bug zapper in parking lot: $1.95
    Security cameras: $2.98
    Combination Plate #2: $21.47
    Coffee: $5.02
    Coffee Refills: $10.04
    Hospitality Expert: $8.00
    Food Storage: $0.77
    Mid Meal Re-accomodation: $12.00
    Aspirin: $4.00
    Misc: $6.66

Sales Tax and RICO cut: $11.11

TOTAL: $84.00

A month after the cook's bill arrives separately for $45.00 with a notice saying my payment is late. The phone starts to ring.

POSTSCRIPT: One year later I'm driving by the restaurant and notice they are covering the exterior in Italian Marble.

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    Was just trying to imagine what bill for eating out would be like if handled like hospital stay.

Waiter: You'll need the cheese enchiladas and buffalo wings appetizer with coffee.

During meal waiter periodically takes fork out of my mouth and pours coffee down my throat. At some point chips and salsa appear along with a fruit basket. Them I'm moved to another table mid meal.

Waiter: You have to wait till the manager let's you go, then you'll get the bill in the mail in two weeks.

A month after the cook's bill arrives separately for $45.00 with a notice saying my payment is late. The phone starts to ring.
    It's funny because it's true. Ugh.

I found out what the last small "sales tax" charge was. It's the amount they charged for the sale of food. The state gives them an amount per which they calculate their daily sales tax charge on food, and they automatically add that to everyone's bill. He was on bowel rest for most of the week stay and only ate three solid meals, but whatever. The amount was pocket change but this is the first instance I've seen a charge on hospital bill that wasn't first billed to insurance. This is a different hospital than what I stayed in previously, and I had any charges over the top of what insurance claimed I needed to pay removed from my bill (though they were charging me hundreds of dollars over in that instance).

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post

POSTSCRIPT: One year later I'm driving by the restaurant and notice they are covering the exterior in Italian Marble.
    Yes.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTx
    Why do women generally like to receive flowers as gifts? I'd be underwhelmed if I received flowers as a gift. It'd be like giving me a little burden - gotta find a vase and a place to put them. I'd rather receive coffee beans, or beer, or booze I like.

"Guess the roses worked"

Type
    INTP
    I'm not a fan of flowers myself, but one nice thing about them is that they're generally not a burden. A woman who likes flowers should already have a vase. Just add water, enjoy, or pretend to enjoy. After a couple of days they're compost. It begs very little commitment from the recipient.