Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Working from home

  1. #1
    Hasta Siempre Madrigal's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mañana
    Posts
    7,112
    INTPx Award Winner

    Working from home

    I get up bright and early, go to the gym, watch everyone who's dressed up all nice and wearing perfume getting ready to go to their awful office jobs. Suckers! I get back home, shower, work intensely for 6 hours and then have the rest of the day to myself, for reading books, watching movies, taking walks, getting to know the cafés. I even have time to see friends! I LOVE being my own boss and managing my own time!

    Sounds great, right? It's also totally false.

    Actually, I don't get up early at all because I'm working the entire fucking night until sunrise (and sometimes more). I sleep a miserable 4 or 5 hours, wake up near noon, rush through a pile of shit I have to hand in, forget to eat anything all day, smoke like a motherfucker, don't talk to anyone, have no time to so much as answer the phone, have no time to even compile invoices for payments that I'll have to chase down anyway, I don't see the light of day unless some inconvenient errand forces me outside, I don't have time to read, watch movies, see friends or even talk to people. Oh, right, I also look like shit because I don't bother to comb my hair or wear anything presentable at all.

    Fuck freelancing a thousand times.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

  2. #2
    Senior Member Sinny's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    1,174
    I'm so fucking glad that that second paragraph followed the first..

    By the time I'd read up to "go to the gym" , I was thinking .. "bitch, how does any INTP 'get up early and go to the gym' ?!.. Ohh is your life all dandy and full of fucking roses?!?! ARghhhgg!!!"

    Haha.. That would be jealously

    I'm glad that feeling has subsided.. sorry

    But that second paragraph.. nailed it.

    So, erm.. what do you do for work?
    "One need not destroy one's enemy. One need only destroy his willingness to engage"

    - Sun Tzu

  3. #3
    Hasta Siempre Madrigal's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mañana
    Posts
    7,112
    INTPx Award Winner
    The fucking president has time to go to the goddamn gym! I'm not more important than the president, right? Something is wrong with this picture.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    So, erm.. what do you do for work?
    I translate bullshit.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

  4. #4
    Senior Member Sinny's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    1,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post

    I translate bullshit.
    Ahh, well.. In that case you have chosen an infinitely demanding career choice, lol.

    Pay well? I'm presuming not as much as you'd need to retire early?
    "One need not destroy one's enemy. One need only destroy his willingness to engage"

    - Sun Tzu

  5. #5
    Hasta Siempre Madrigal's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mañana
    Posts
    7,112
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    Pay well? I'm presuming not as much as you'd need to retire early?


    Sorry, but you just cheered me up for the entire night. Thanks!
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

  6. #6
    Member
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I get up bright and early, go to the gym, watch everyone who's dressed up all nice and wearing perfume getting ready to go to their awful office jobs. Suckers! I get back home, shower, work intensely for 6 hours and then have the rest of the day to myself, for reading books, watching movies, taking walks, getting to know the cafés. I even have time to see friends! I LOVE being my own boss and managing my own time!

    Sounds great, right? It's also totally false.

    Actually, I don't get up early at all because I'm working the entire fucking night until sunrise (and sometimes more). I sleep a miserable 4 or 5 hours, wake up near noon, rush through a pile of shit I have to hand in, forget to eat anything all day, smoke like a motherfucker, don't talk to anyone, have no time to so much as answer the phone, have no time to even compile invoices for payments that I'll have to chase down anyway, I don't see the light of day unless some inconvenient errand forces me outside, I don't have time to read, watch movies, see friends or even talk to people. Oh, right, I also look like shit because I don't bother to comb my hair or wear anything presentable at all.

    Fuck freelancing a thousand times.
    You need to be more organized and diciplined in your work so that the first paragraph's description becomes more real than fiction. After all it's your vision.It should be your mission statement.

    I sense that it is doable cause obviously- as i understand- you already have a clientele which is a crucial part of having a business.

    Read/follow seminars about time management and work-life balance.
    Implement the ideas that make more sense to you.
    I think its all a matter of putting in place the right organizational system that suits your own vision.
    You get to create your own system and to implement it day in day out.
    The key word here is as you surely know implement.

    You most probaly prefer to create than implementing.
    Well implementing your own system is the sacrifice you have to make to be your own boss and reach your vision.
    I think it's worth it but am only speaking therotically ofcourse.

  7. #7
    Hasta Siempre Madrigal's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mañana
    Posts
    7,112
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    You need to be more organized and diciplined in your work so that the first paragraph's description becomes more real than fiction. After all it's your vision.It should be your mission statement.

    I sense that it is doable cause obviously- as i understand- you already have a clientele which is a crucial part of having a business.

    Read/follow seminars about time management and work-life balance.
    Implement the ideas that make more sense to you.
    I think its all a matter of putting in place the right organizational system that suits your own vision.
    You get to create your own system and to implement it day in day out.
    The key word here is as you surely know implement.

    You most probaly prefer to create than implementing.
    Well implementing your own system is the sacrifice you have to make to be your own boss and reach your vision.
    I think it's worth it but am only speaking therotically ofcourse.
    Thanks, but I don't want to start a business, I don't like money enough for that. Actually there was a time I was doing this while tour-guiding on weekends, about 7 years ago, and a retired and very rich American couple I took around the city wanted to "invest" in me starting a translation business here. I guess they liked me and they didn't know what to do with their money. I did not accept it then and I'm certainly not gonna work my ass off for that now. (I've also stopped telling other translators that "funny story" because it provokes indignation or something.) I just want to keep some clients while I look for something else and then dump this entire lifestyle.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

  8. #8
    Member Guess Who's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    952
    Translation clients can often have unrealistic expectations about time-frames and do not leave enough time for translation. They may also experience delays at their end in getting the text ready for translation. Clients may be in different time zones. Translation: Freelance translators typically have irregular hours.
    On the wrong side of history

  9. #9
    Member
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Thanks, but I don't want to start a business, I don't like money enough for that. Actually there was a time I was doing this while tour-guiding on weekends, about 7 years ago, and a retired and very rich American couple I took around the city wanted to "invest" in me starting a translation business here. I guess they liked me and they didn't know what to do with their money. I did not accept it then and I'm certainly not gonna work my ass off for that now. (I've also stopped telling other translators that "funny story" because it provokes indignation or something.) I just want to keep some clients while I look for something else and then dump this entire lifestyle.
    Ok then.
    I had a smilar lifestyle as yours when i was a tv reporter for a few years.
    Very unhealthy lifestyle.
    Smoking, not working out, 12 hour workdays, drinking, stress, low salary, working in an open plan newsroom with other 20 persons.No time for hobbies or a good diet, or working out or friends or family or reading or isolation.
    I did not know what to do..i studied journalism, what else was i supposed to do other than journalism?
    I decided that a job in the goverment could allow for all the things that i missed in life.
    So that is what i did..after a lot of failures in various written and oral exams i finally - after about a year trying- managed to enter the goverment.
    Now i do the least interesting job in the world but i really gained all those things that i missed in life.
    BUT i am always thinking of what else i could do.Its a loop i can't escape from.May be it's an INTP thing.
    I wish you luck and a possitive outlook in life.

  10. #10
    exists in a vacuum Stigmata's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    337
    Working from home sounds awesome until you realize you've been wearing the same soiled underwear for the last week, and that somewhere along the line brushing your teeth became an optional sidequest separate from the main story.
    "I'm just here so I won't get fined.."

Similar Threads

  1. Foods for Working
    By notdavidlynch in forum Health & Fitness
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-13-2014, 01:27 AM
  2. Working from Home Dilemma
    By TeresaJ in forum Academics & Careers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-21-2014, 10:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •