Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selected quotes from the books of the world religions.

Banned
    Type
    INXX

Selected quotes from the books of the world religions.

I'll go first:
    - And that Allah may purify the believers [through trials] and destroy the disbelievers - He selects for His mercy whom He wills. And Allah is the possessor of great bounty.
    - Indeed, those who reject the message after their belief and then increase in disbelief - never will their [claimed] repentance be accepted, and they are the ones astray.
    - Indeed, those who disbelieve - it is all the same for them whether you warn them or do not warn them - they will not believe, Allah has set a seal upon their hearts and upon their hearing, and over their vision is a veil. And for them is a great punishment.
    - In their hearts is disease, so Allah has increased their disease; and for them is a painful punishment because they [habitually] used to lie
    - And when they meet those who believe, they say, "We believe"; but when they are alone with their evil ones, they say, "Indeed, we are with you; we were only mockers." - [But] Allah mocks them and prolongs them in their transgression [while] they wander blindly.

Holy Quran

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Banned
    Type
    INXX
    I can only speak for Islam: Compulsion is not allowed. Only form of allowed agression is defensive, because we know they are lesser and will launch an attack and occupy us. Imperialists. And as long, we are warriors for profession but our product is peace.

Peace

Type
    INTP
    "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

Peace can only exist when everyone is in agreement. Jesus understands that His call for people to follow Him will not bring unity but division. People will be divided into two groups - those who accept the truth of the things He said and those who reject it. This division will even run through families.

The sword is not a metaphor calling Christians to take up arms but a metaphor for dividing things in two and for interpersonal conflict.

There is an effort underway by some to bring about world peace by trying to convince everyone to commit to secular humanism, a vision of one human family, where everyone has learnt to think the same way incorporating ideas such as collectivism, inclusiveness, tolerance. It might bring world peace but it will require people to reject Jesus' teachings and face the consequences of that choice.
    On the wrong side of history

Type
    INFP
    I love how Muslims get down on their Imperial luck for a couple centuries and think they can use 'imperialist' as a pejorative. Defensive warfare my ass. Rome said the same thing. Carthago delenda est. All empires do.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Banned
    Type
    INXX
    I am living proof on defensive watfare. I have Aspergers and am fire. I bend metal (police). Pretty much like magneto from x-men. I dived at the police (defensively) and they sent me to hospital and tortured me. They had and have no reason, they havent told my anything today and keep draining me. I'm not psychotic or psychopath. I shouldnt have been in hospital.

I want you dead, like magneto, you're evil. Eh?

Peace

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Banned
    Type
    INXX
    Beautiful song. Thank you.

Type
    iNtP
    Idaho... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    INTPx Award Winner
    from my favorite book of the bible...

Spoiler: Ecclesiastes 2: 1-22
    I said to myself, “Come now, I will test you with pleasure to find out what is good.” But that also proved to be meaningless. “Laughter,” I said, “is madness. And what does pleasure accomplish?” I tried cheering myself with wine, and embracing folly—my mind still guiding me with wisdom. I wanted to see what was good for people to do under the heavens during the few days of their lives.

I undertook great projects: I built houses for myself and planted vineyards. I made gardens and parks and planted all kinds of fruit trees in them. I made reservoirs to water groves of flourishing trees. I bought male and female slaves and had other slaves who were born in my house. I also owned more herds and flocks than anyone in Jerusalem before me. I amassed silver and gold for myself, and the treasure of kings and provinces. I acquired male and female singers, and a harem[a] as well—the delights of a man’s heart. I became greater by far than anyone in Jerusalem before me. In all this my wisdom stayed with me.

I denied myself nothing my eyes desired;
    I refused my heart no pleasure.
    My heart took delight in all my labor,
    and this was the reward for all my toil.
    Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done
    and what I had toiled to achieve,
    everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
    nothing was gained under the sun.
    Wisdom and Folly Are Meaningless
    Then I turned my thoughts to consider wisdom,
    and also madness and folly.
    What more can the king’s successor do
    than what has already been done?
    I saw that wisdom is better than folly,
    just as light is better than darkness.
    The wise have eyes in their heads,
    while the fool walks in the darkness;
    but I came to realize
    that the same fate overtakes them both.
    Then I said to myself,

“The fate of the fool will overtake me also.
    What then do I gain by being wise?”
    I said to myself,
    “This too is meaningless.”
    For the wise, like the fool, will not be long remembered;
    the days have already come when both have been forgotten.
    Like the fool, the wise too must die!
    Toil Is Meaningless
    So I hated life, because the work that is done under the sun was grievous to me. All of it is meaningless, a chasing after the wind. I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. And who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. This too is meaningless. So my heart began to despair over all my toilsome labor under the sun. For a person may labor with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then they must leave all they own to another who has not toiled for it. This too is meaningless and a great misfortune. What do people get for all the toil and anxious striving with which they labor under the sun? All their days their work is grief and pain; even at night their minds do not rest. This too is meaningless.
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

Type
    INTP
    "If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."

-- Jesus, quoted in the Gospel of Thomas
    "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is reality. Your cries do not move me." -- Sistamatic