Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life before google. Yahoo? Bing? AOL? No. Google. "Finish him" completed by G.

Life before google. Yahoo? Bing? AOL? No. Google. "Finish him" completed by G.

Ok. "Finish Him" is a Mortal Combat reference. If you didn't know that you will either find this thread fascinating or confusing or both. Or maybe you just never played console games. Whatever!

The ability to google something and instantly discover most of what you wanted to know on something. How cool is that? It's probably brought about more "peace" in my family than anything else in history, because before "google" (ok, the internet and all that tried to compete with google before it ruled the roost) that's what my family did. We argued shit without reference until days/weeks/months later someone found an actual book in an actual library which may or may not have been credible because we had no other books/references to compare it to. Jesus CHRIST the latest generations are privileged. Well, at least I get to enjoy it as well now... right up until I become so fucking old I don't know what the fuck "google" or its next iteration even means.

You should all be having an orgasm right now, you just don't know it. You're too privileged to experience it young people.
    Last edited by stigmatica; 04-05-2017 at 07:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Maybe this is why FOX news is a phenomenon among the elderly. Please, INTPcomplex. If I get so old as to become Fox news fodder, for the love of whatever the hell you want, tell me. When I give you the middle finger, keep telling me. Again and again. No holds barred. No mercy. Drill it in. DO NOT LET ME BE THAT THING!

Type
    INTP

It does change social relationships. Before, people used to be authorities on things. Ask Aunt P about child development, Uncle S about mechanics, Aunt T about physics, Grandma about cooking. Grandma is the ultimate authority on cooking.

Now the internet is the authority on everything.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    ENTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post

“Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln

By the way I feel like "google it" has change the way our minds work. I can easily tell that my memory isn't as good as it was before the 'era of the internet' because now I don't have to remember anything. I'm just googling it...

Type
    INTP
    Screw Google.

I use ddg.gg

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Libraries > CompuServe > AltaVista > Google. But I never completely stopped libraries.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    iNtP
    Idaho... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    INTPx Award Winner

It does change social relationships. Before, people used to be authorities on things. Ask Aunt P about child development, Uncle S about mechanics, Aunt T about physics, Grandma about cooking. Grandma is the ultimate authority on cooking.

i have thought about that before... it is mildly depressing...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

Type
    INTP
    We were lucky to have 2 full sets of encyclopedias at home...so we had at least 3 - 5 paragraphs on most subjects of import which we could extrapolate insight from. Otherwise it was the 'experts' that TJ referred to...basically all my aunts and uncles...there was an Electrician, a political science grad, nurse, carpenter, real estate agent, mechanic, smelter worker, electronics engineer/master musician, anthropology major, teacher, director of the chamber of commerce...and that's just my dad and his siblings...going wider, there are the spouses, who were all experts in their own domains, too...plus grandparents know a lot of stuff...and then there were great grandparents, too...my Baba could take an empty cupboard and some sheer determination and make it into a five star meal to feed an army. Never spent much time at the library as a kid...learned more from watching tv, I bet.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    After I posted that I realized that I still call upon on family experts for some things. There's so much information available, if it's a complex topic it's still more efficient to get the perspective of someone who has already studied and digested and synthesized. At least to get as overview.

I also still use reference books for some things. Including actual physical dictionaries at times.

My mom always had a dictionary and thesaurus right by her writing desk and she was the person who would confirm correct spelling. It is kind of sad that one of her tasks in the family had been automated.

So true. I bet I'd have stayed in touch with my family much more often if not for the internet. I remember working on an electronics project with my granpop (yes, that's what we called him) as a kid and him constantly calling my dad for advice. That would never happen with the internet sitting around waiting to give you instructions on everything from cooking eggs to starting a cult.

One of the biggest issues though is probably not the ability to find information, but rather the ability to give it on the internet. I think, in a way, the latter can actually stunt mental growth. Let me explain my reasoning on this:

When I think back on my life, I can easily recall moments or even spans of time in which I had some pretty dumb and/or embarrassing philosophies, ideals, or even just moments of stupidity. But when I had them, they were either mine alone or only shared or observed with/by an incredibly small and isolated number of witnesses. With the internet, people put these things out there for the world to see, share, ridicule, or worst of all.. find a niche group of people with the same dumb idea. I can't help but think that this can freeze a person for years in what should have been a momentary laps of good judgement. Confirmation bias coupled with the ability to find multiple sources of confirmation where once they would not be accessible at all creates the perfect storm to stunt growth and maturity. Or, if not that, locking a person into a caricature and even manipulating that person into maintaining and defending that caricature that would otherwise never have persisted.