Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Guy Dragged off of Airplane

Type
    INFP

Guy Dragged off of Airplane

I haven't watched to whole video but you get the gist of what happened in the first thrirty seconds. First and most importantly:

This is the only time I've looked at looky-loo video and thought 'appropriate use of portrait' (as opposed to landscape)

I imagine this has been discussed elsewhere but fuck it let's water cooler it up.

A huge anti United Airlines circlejerk has erupted online. People are saying if this doctor was white this never would have happened. True?

Now the media has dug up dirt on this guy's past. Does the fact that he's been convicted of over-prescribing painkillers change your perception of things?

TMZ link. Anybody refuse to click on a TMZ link based on principles? I admire their knack for getting to the bottom of things like this while the legacy media is doing stories about the twitter reaction.

Should overbooking be illegal or do you value freedom?

I only fly once every few years and it's generally fine for me. Does anybody refuse to use airlines because of this crap? Want to be treated like a real fucking animal? Ride Greyhound.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INFP

Type
    INTP
    From what I understand of the situation, the guy deserves what he got. Do I agree with the policies of the airline? Not necessarily. That changes nothing/has no bearing here. He was belligerent and uncooperative.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    I imagine this has been discussed elsewhere but fuck it let's water cooler it up.

A huge anti United Airlines circlejerk has erupted online. People are saying if this doctor was white this never would have happened. True?
    I don't think being white alone would secure immunity, I think you'd need to have obvious wealth or other +1's in addition. I do think everyone else in his position would have still been kicked off (with the exception of people who won't ever get kicked off, like disabled people and kids), but I can't picture a trump, for example, getting dragged off in the same violent manner by that cop.

Now the media has dug up dirt on this guy's past. Does the fact that he's been convicted of over-prescribing painkillers change your perception of things?
    yes I think we should remove all evil-doers and potential evil-doers from planes and then beat them up and then set up thorough background checks to make sure no passengers have ever done anything morally questionable or illegal in their lives, nor considered doing bad things.

Should overbooking be illegal or do you value freedom?
    It shouldn't be illegal but they should have more effective mechanisms in place for dealing with the worst-case scenarios. It's really not going to drive major airlines to bankruptcy to give passengers decent compensations and give clear, consistent information about overbooking scenarios beforehand.
    "Better not to feel too much until the crisis ends—and if it never ends, at least we’ll have suffered a little less, developed a useful dullness...The constant—and very real—fear of being hurt, the fear of death, of intolerable loss, or even of “mere” humiliation, leads each of us, the citizens and prisoners of the conflict, to dampen our own vitality, our emotional and intellectual range, and to cloak ourselves in more and more protective layers until we suffocate." - Toni Morrison

Type
    INtP
    Sistamatic schooled me a bit about the backstory and I read up for a little context.

The airlines may have had the legal right to remove him in the manner they did, but ethically (and from a PR/business standpoint) I think they had better options in handling it the way they did. If this happened when I was a child, it would probably be not as big of a deal. But nowadays everyone is walking around with a video camera in their pocket and the internet is a platform for which to broadcast any negative interaction.

The airline should have figured this out at the gate before boarding onto the plane, how did they not know the logistics of their own crew members?

Maybe it's the flights I take but people will volunteer to take a next flight if the price is right. Supposedly I read that if you are involuntarily denied boarding you can get up to 4x your ticket fare costs in actual cash, not bullshit airline voucher money. If this is how much it's going to cost the airline ANYWAY, then they should have this as their ceiling--not the price in vouchers/hotel comps. If the airlines were forced to stop overboarding I know they would increase the cost of fares, so I don't give a fuck if they continue. Like I said in the other thread, I've been in situations where they need people to voluntarily give up their seats. Most of the time there is only one offer given before it's taken care of.

One article said that the people who get chosen for involuntary deboarding are randomly picked through a computer but I have no idea if their systems actually have a feature for that. Who knows. Supposedly four people were needed off, but I only see info about this one guy in question. The past of the guy in the video is irrelevant.
    Last edited by oxyjen; 04-11-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    From what I understand of the situation, the guy deserves what he got. Do I agree with the policies of the airline? Not necessarily. That changes nothing/has no bearing here. He was belligerent and uncooperative.
    I agree as well. I hope he got some jail time thrown in as well for insubordination aboard an aircraft, which IMO is kind of a big fucking deal.

If you are on a plane and the authorities are telling you to leave, you get your ass up and continue your complaint outside. End of story.

If a worker on stand-by at my old airline had to get on a flight for work, they would never have priority over a paying passenger. Instead, they'd have to buy a ticket through another airline, and if too poor to buy it, they'd remain on the ground and wait for an emptier flight - for as many days as necessary. Then they'd be penalized, with the possibility of getting fired. I like UA's policy of putting airline employees first.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Banned
    Type
    INFJ

Type
    INFP
    I'm waiting for the full story, at present all I see is speculation and hearsay.

A lot of outlets are reporting this man as a doctor, which I cannot refute, but he certainly doesn't not act like an educated man, especially if you see the follow up video of him shuffling through the plane repeating "I have to get home" over and over. This is to say nothing of his manner of dress that also does not suggest "doctor" or supposedly he was accompanied by a wife whom one would suspect would be equally affronted by the actions taking place, yet... Nothing.

Again, extenuating circumstances can introduce all kinds of possibilities, but for now a lot of context without veracity is being applied from all angles.

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
    I'm waiting for the full story, at present all I see is speculation and hearsay.

A lot of outlets are reporting this man as a doctor, which I cannot refute, but he certainly doesn't not act like an educated man, especially if you see the follow up video of him shuffling through the plane repeating "I have to get home" over and over. This is to say nothing of his manner of dress that also does not suggest "doctor" or supposedly he was accompanied by a wife whom one would suspect would be equally affronted by the actions taking place, yet... Nothing.

Again, extenuating circumstances can introduce all kinds of possibilities, but for now a lot of context without veracity is being applied from all angles.
    How would his status as a doctor (or not being one) change your opinion of the events?

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I agree as well. I hope he got some jail time thrown in as well for insubordination aboard an aircraft, which IMO is kind of a big fucking deal.

If you are on a plane and the authorities are telling you to leave, you get your ass up and continue your complaint outside. End of story.

If a worker on stand-by at my old airline had to get on a flight for work, they would never have priority over a paying passenger. Instead, they'd have to buy a ticket through another airline, and if too poor to buy it, they'd remain on the ground and wait for an emptier flight - for as many days as necessary. Then they'd be penalized, with the possibility of getting fired. I like UA's policy of putting airline employees first.
    I'd rather be annoyed about my flight being delayed by an entitled passenger than board a plane that feels like some sort of war territory where everyone including the crew* waits out the whole trip in silence and fear. I think that in the long run militarization of anything will be more time-consuming, stressful, and costly for everyone involved than just taking the time to communicate and negotiate.

*(who reportedly felt very stressed, through no fault of their own, after receiving seats in the aftermath of the cop's violence)
    "Better not to feel too much until the crisis ends—and if it never ends, at least we’ll have suffered a little less, developed a useful dullness...The constant—and very real—fear of being hurt, the fear of death, of intolerable loss, or even of “mere” humiliation, leads each of us, the citizens and prisoners of the conflict, to dampen our own vitality, our emotional and intellectual range, and to cloak ourselves in more and more protective layers until we suffocate." - Toni Morrison