Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You know you're an INTP when...

Type
    INTP

You know you're an INTP when...

... you understand the difference between "shy" and "introverted"; shy people don't want to be there (and/or fear it), introverts don't mind/fear being there, they just want to be left to observe or engage in smaller groups, if not 1:1;

... you know the difference between if and when you are feeling shy, and when you'd just rather not be involved/engaged; feeling awkward and is not the same as feeling a lack of confidence (ala fear)

... you get that "ugn, do not want" feeling somewhere deep inside when someone tries to engage you in idle banter, small talk, polite but trivial chatter

... generally, you can feel some social chitchat as almost something to defend your independence and autonomy against; these people, trying to pull me into their banter...

... and yet, every so often, when you want to initiate some kind of conversation, you a) find yourself frustratingly considering the very same banal polite/smalltalk approach and/or b) just don't really know how

... there is 1:1, which is either ok or to be avoided entirely, and sometimes you can't really tell why or whether it goes one way or the other

... and then there's big groups (like parties) into which you can just disappear alright, no problem, although not necessarily preferred

... but then there's the group that's too small to hide in; the awkwardly cozy gathering during which you'll feel a pressure to say something, but there's too many people at once involved in the same conversation, and so you take a passive/reactive approach despite you occasional prompting to participate, while there is also this feeling of "I haven't said anything" accumulating into a stronger resistance to say anything as the conversation goes on.

... in such small group situations, when directly addressed, no problem although not necessarily ideal/desired

... also, in small groups you may feel yourself wanting to strike up a conversation with someone there in particular, to get to know them, etc, but you feel that the group conversation is both ongoing otherwise ... and would be rude to basically hijack into a two-way dialog between you and the one other person.

... which brings it full circle; you don't want your peace/space interrupted by smalltalk, but you are also keeny aware of interrupting that of others, despite your occasional prompting to speak up into it

Type
    INTP
    You've participated in at least (3) different threads, on various different MBTI forums, in which the fabled "friend zone" is the subject matter.

Type
    INTP
    *necro*

You know you're an INTP when you look in the mirror at 3:00 pm for the first time since waking up at 5:00 that morning, notice that your hair looks crazy, get distracted thinking about something else, and don't so much as run a hand through your hair until you happen to look at a second mirror four hours later and notice/remember that your hair looks crazy.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    You're like someone took DNA from multiple types, threw them in a blender, tossed out the Se and Fi and what's left stacks up like:

Ti
    Ni
    Ne
    Si
    Te
    Fe

And you know that the Ni is manifested in a strong Critical Parent Role, so can be a fooler.

Type
    intp
    Interesting article on what your Facebook updates say about your personality.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    *necro*

You know you're an INTP when you look in the mirror at 3:00 pm for the first time since waking up at 5:00 that morning, notice that your hair looks crazy, get distracted thinking about something else, and don't so much as run a hand through your hair until you happen to look at a second mirror four hours later and notice/remember that your hair looks crazy.
    This, so much. Except for me it's usually me noticing that I should pluck my eyebrows and then forgetting until much later.

Type
    INTP
    When you are not understood and feel like you can either kill someone or kill yourself 😊

Type
    INTP
    (Particularly female) You experience retail anxiety rather than retail therapy.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    When you have a productive day and accomplish all kinds of really amazing things, but still feel like a failure because you didn't manage to do one single thing that was on your "must do now" list.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    (Particularly female) You experience retail anxiety rather than retail therapy.
    Ha, yes!