Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Succulents are boring

Merry Christmas
    Type
    INFP

Succulents are boring

Is it just me, or are succulents everywhere?

I'm seeing knit succulents, succulent posters, succulent sculptures, succulent earrings. Amazon is having a sale on 20 small succulents. People are punning about succulents. There are books being published about succulents.

So my question is, what the fuck is so exciting about succulents? They're the most reclusive plants ever, they grow super slowly, they don't toy with death, and bugs don't even notice them. Is succulent care some sort of self-deprecating hobby that people who like the verb "adult" engage in because they like to pretend that they can't care for real plants?

Is this a new trend, or has it always been this way? And Why?

Type
    INTP
    I haven't noticed people having a heightened interest in succulents recently but I agree that they are not particularly exciting. I have a large prickly pear planted in my garden but that is the only succulent I have. There are plenty of plants that are easy to grow but more interesting than succulents. I live in a temperate climate zone and am quite fond of palms.

I am sick and tired of seeing owl themed products everywhere. If succulent themed products displaced owl themed products then I'd be a very happy man.
    On the wrong side of history

Type
    INFP
    I don't go in enough people's homes to know what plants they're growing in there. I completely understand wanting something low maintenance. My mom always had some of these around the house growing up. I'll have to tell her she's back in style simply by not changing for thirty years. Although if I'm finding out about it the crest of the wave has passed. I should get a chia pet.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I like succulents, cactus, and bonsai trees. I don't care for most regular plants. African violets are good too.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    intp
    I'm so sick of seeing succulents everywhere. Every bodega in NYC right now has a collection of succulents, bonsai trees, and cactuses for sale. And yeah, they're really dull.
    "Doesn't matter what a man has if he doesn't have purpose. You take that away from him, man usually goes with it." -Beau

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I didn't even know what succulents were called until this thread. I thought succulent was a tasty food? Thanks, internet people!

Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    Is it just me, or are succulents everywhere?
    Succulents are fucking stupid. I noticed two friends that have them now - the only ones whose houses I visited relatively recently - and I didn't make the connection. They did mention that they either got them from another friend's succulents or were about to pass some of theirs on. I've also noticed that florist stands are now full of these plants. Now I see it's a thing. This is like what my grandmothers used to have at home. When I was a kid I'd pick out pieces and chop them up (okay so I did that with everything).

I guess I don't really like small decorative elements in general, unless they have a purpose, like containing something. Figurines and doilies are on my shit-list for sure. To me they just clutter things up and accumulate dust, they remind me of old people's homes. All of the relatives from my grandmother's generation have their homes stuffed with these little things. Of course, as a kid, they were fascinating to me. Their houses were like galleries of neverending curiosities ready to be discovered in every nook and cranny. I remember my grandfather, who was a sailor, only grudgingly put up with a lot of it. He used to say, "TÝralo al agua" ("throw it overboard" - sailor's speak for throw something away, I guess). If you protested it was a souvenir, he'd say, "You can't fill a house up with souvenirs." In Spanish, souvenir is also "recuerdo" - "memory" - so to my young mind I used to think this old man was saying, "You can't fill a house up with memories."
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I like them, mostly for the shapes and textures. But I agree that they're overused right now and that they don't really count as proper houseplants. They're more like sculptures, or art.

I see their popularity as a mixture of a few things. One is definitely that they're mindlessly easy to take care of, as was said above. Lots of people have anxiety about taking care of plants, but you can ignore succulents most of the time and things will still be okay.

The other is the rise of the minimalist Kinfolk Instagram aesthetic that's become more or less zeitgeist in the design world the past few years. It's this blend of sparse, sterile minimalism that is perfectly composed to balance empty space with strong, inorganic lines at right angles. Within this aesthetic, interiors are meticulously clean and nothing is ever out of place. Organic, non-geometric elements are used very sparingly as accents. Where plants appear, they are small, and managed in such a way that they will never grow to dominate the space, often as cut blooms, or slow-growing cacti and succulents.

On digging into this deeper, it's interesting to note that Kinfolk had a more organic neo-hippie aesthetic until 2014, after which their interiors got increasingly more sparse and sterile. I wonder if they got a new editor around that time.

Senior Member Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    infj
    It's overwhelming everything because it's lowest common denominator shit and letting people be super pretentious with no work but the whole thing in some version has been around out here forever. I remember books on succulents and cacti in my parents' house growing up and the books were already old then.

I'm not a fan of them as house plants to stage photos of sterile unlived in environments but my parents are in the process of converting their yards into xeriscaping so they've been tracking down cool varieties of cacti, succulents and native desert plants and it looks amazing when everything is blooming but it makes sense for the environment out here you know?

Though I guess the more plants the better so

If orchids and plumerias start trending I'm going to be pissed I've had that shit locked down for 20 years.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    It's overwhelming everything because it's lowest common denominator shit and letting people be super pretentious with no work but the whole thing in some version has been around out here forever. I remember books on succulents and cacti in my parents' house growing up and the books were already old then.

I'm not a fan of them as house plants to stage photos of sterile unlived in environments but my parents are in the process of converting their yards into xeriscaping so they've been tracking down cool varieties of cacti, succulents and native desert plants and it looks amazing when everything is blooming but it makes sense for the environment out here you know?

Though I guess the more plants the better so

If orchids and plumerias start trending I'm going to be pissed I've had that shit locked down for 20 years.
    Landscaping in arid climates is one area where succulents get my unconditional support. Makes way more sense than a lot of the other plants that people use.

Type
    INTP
    This is just one more thing of which I was previously not aware, but now am indifferent to the point of willfully ignorant about.

*shrug*