Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP

Taking work home

priv
    Last edited by notdavidlynch; 04-25-2017 at 11:32 PM. Reason: acy

Type
    intp
    When I was a teacher, that was the norm. At one job, the head of my department was proclaiming how we all ought to be nice to ourselves by designating one day of the weekend as our own day to relax and not do work - hers was Sunday - but that we really needed to work the other day of the weekend. Fuck that, the weekend is mine. At another school where I rode to work each day, the other guy in the office was concerned about how I would be able to take work home each day with my bike. Jesus fucking christ. My friend worked the telephones for a company that installs the heating vents above automatic sliding doors. He got paid slightly less but got home and played Playstation or whatever he wanted.

In my case, my general reluctance to forfeit having a life meant that I wasn't very good at my job. If I had cared more about the job and if I had enjoyed the work more, then I think it may have been wise to do a bit more work at home. But... personally I wouldn't want it to become a normal/regular thing. I also wouldn't want people at work to start expecting that from me. It seems to be becoming the trend, but I really disagree with it. I want my own time to be uncompromised.

From my own experience, when I began to fall behind schedule with something, I would tend to hope that I would catch up by doing extra work later on, and so I wouldn't really mention it to anyone, and the problem may just get worse, compounding my reluctance to mention anything. My own pride thinking I could handle it. In hindsight, I would say it may be good to be a little more diplomatically transparent. Maybe mention this new feature and how it impacted your initial estimate.

If you quite enjoy the work and it may be a temporary extra effort while in a probationary period, that would weigh me more towards doing whatever you can to look more impressive. See how you compare to others though - maybe you're already doing a good amount.

-----

off topic: what's generally involved in making this react app? I've been making some small things in AngularJS, to eventually get a job, and I've been wondering about the scale of a proper thing you'd make for an employer. How many... lines of code? How complex is it? What are the different languages you're pulling together?

Type
    iNtP
    Idaho... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    INTPx Award Winner
    i would break their rule if worrying about it was detrimental enough to my peace of mind during nonwork hours...i would also try to set my estimations ahead of when i expected to finish... people aren't as impressed with accurate estimations of completion times as they are when you finish "early"... more than a day of cushion may be excessive (you would know better than i)...

if you do take your work home, i would advise you are careful not to make it a habit...

these are all things i have done myself...
    Last edited by Obfuscate; 04-24-2017 at 05:24 AM.
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

Type
    INTP
    I've had jobs specifically that when I left the office, the work stayed there. This would allow me to work on my own projects when I got home. There was a time about a decade ago, (man, where does the time go?) when I was doing some residual payment projections for a dispute we had w/another entity. I was so low on the totem pole but I figured out a way to forecast payments that was beyond what anyone else could do. I got a laptop from IT that had our specific software and server access and was happy to spend 4 or so extra hours on it after I got home for a few nights.

I've had gigs where I'd have to work OT but outside of that I'd be finished. Of course, getting a writing assignment is all done at home for the most part and even if they have an office, if others aren't working on it as well, I just work at home and then turn in a thumb drive when it's time to deliver but I wouldn't work at their office.
    Last edited by Spartan26; 04-24-2017 at 07:40 AM.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    off topic: what's generally involved in making this react app? I've been making some small things in AngularJS, to eventually get a job, and I've been wondering about the scale of a proper thing you'd make for an employer. How many... lines of code? How complex is it? What are the different languages you're pulling together?
    I've so far written 2,203 lines of code and I'm not finished. That figure seems fairly meaningless though. The app simply gives engineers quick access to floor plans and diagrams. They can navigate to different floors/systems/components and the code manipulates SVGs to highlight/hide/show items on these plans/diagrams as well as bring up contextual photos/videos. The actual coding is mechanical to me (never more complex than some maps/reduces/filters in sequence), and the creative stuff is all in the UI design as well as the database design/pseudo-back-end engineering with Realm. But, this is just phase 1 ...

Phase 2 will be incorporating another product of ours that's essentially an LMS with some 3D shit thrown in just for shits and giggles. Phase 3 (about a year away) will be nearly real-time WebSockets type stuff interfacing with devices: sprinkler systems, fire alarms ... Conceivably anything related to emergencies or building operations. I saw one client RFP and it even wanted us to somehow track and document things like emergency response times and police reports (this has to be something they'd have someone on the ground doing manually with our app). Of course, there are also admin interfaces, analytics, reporting, spiffy visualizations, etc. We also do ad-hoc/custom products for big shot clients such as amusement parks, airports, and public transit authorities.

It's supposed to be all JavaScript on my end (ES6+). I favor Redux for state management (with React, at least). React-Native and Realm are new to me. I say "supposed to be" because I had to dive into some Ruby/Rails to complete my last project, but we're hiring another developer to specifically do all the back-end stuff. I was personally in favor of migrating to an AWS based serverless architecture with API Gateway, Lambda, etc ... Of course, no one is going to trust such decisions when they're coming from a new hire without a decade of experience, so more Rails it is ...
    Last edited by notdavidlynch; 04-24-2017 at 05:43 AM.

Type
    intp
    Not allowed to take work home. Not even allowed to be at work if I'm not rostered. They even made a law about it.

I feel so, so, sorry for those who take work home

Type
    INTP
    I take work home occasionally because it is part of my job. When I was first starting out, I went in early and finished late to do extra work, which is the equivalent of taking work home. I think it is reasonable to have to do extra work initially because you are still building up your resources and experience.

If they were very explicit about not taking work home then taking work home could create a problem. When you submit what you have done, will it be obvious to your boss that you could not have possibly done it at work in the time available? If so, then he know that you have both defied the clear instruction not to take work home and also lied to him by pretending not to have taken work home when you have.

I think they will feel it is reasonable that a new employee like you underestimate the time needed to complete a task.

Given how strongly they emphasised not taking work home, I think the best course of action is to be honest. Say that you underestimated the time needed and that you feel really bad about it and say that you'd be willing to work on it at home to get it done on time but are aware of the strict policy about not taking work home. Perhaps you could offer to come in early and finish late to get it finished faster.
    On the wrong side of history

Type
    INTP
    I have never taken work home. I don't think that will ever happen unless I get paid to do work from home. Even when I feel behind I just leave it all at work and deal with it there. I have stayed late at work before to finish time sensitive projects. I don't get paid any extra for staying late either, but I don't know how to say no when my boss tells me that something has to get done that day and asks me to stay until it's finished. Luckily it doesn't happen all that often.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    My experience of doing work at home, or really going over and above during a probationary period is that if you give them extra now, they will always expect extra later. They will look at how much you get done during the week now as the baseline for what they can normally expect out of you in the future. If they don't know you very well yet, then it's a bad idea to set them up to expect an unreasonable amount of work from you all the time.

Type
    INTP
    I could be off base since I don't work there, but in my opinion the rule breaking would be seen as a more significant error than being 1-2 days late. If they were "very explicit" about not taking work home, there's probably several managers who are paranoid about security, and any vulnerability is potentially huge. They probably wouldn't think twice about terminating you for breaking a rule like that.

In the meantime, I'd work harder than usual during regular work hours to try to reduce the differential. You may also want to consider letting your manager know as soon as possible that the project may be late. You might be surprised - maybe they will tell you explicitly that it's OK to work from home just this one time.