Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compliments

Type
    xxxx

Compliments

what kind of compliments do you typically get?

do you believe the compliments? do you see them as mostly superficial social niceties, or do you consider them the truth and therefore little accomplishments?

how do you tell when a compliment is meaningful?

what are some things you wish you were complimented more on?

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Jigglypuff, you have both excellent taste in pokemon and the good sense to know your hardiness zone.

Well done, ma'am.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Banned
    Type
    INFJ
    @jigglypuff I'm very uncomfortable with compliments and really don't know how to react other than a quick ty and subject change.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar View Post
    Jigglypuff, you have both excellent taste in pokemon and the good sense to know your hardiness zone.

Well done, ma'am.
    aw thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
    @jigglypuff I'm very uncomfortable with compliments and really don't know how to react other than a quick ty and subject change.
    i see... i'm gonna guess that's common on this forum and that's why nobody's answering :|

i'm just curious about this, esp when it comes to real life.

a few days ago i had a instructor give me feedback after a presentation and it was peppered with these little compliments which was so weird but... he said i had to stand there and "face the music" and that it's OK to know that i'm a "very smart person." i'm good with more neutral critique but i gotta get used to that.

that was the first time i ever felt a compliment was an accomplishment.

edit: i'm now realizing that might sound weird, but a huge part of this class was about presentation (design communication), so everybody got some sort of similar feedback. typically i'm not good at presentations but i really pushed myself to get better. this isn't me just being big-headed.

i now predict this thread will be ignored and i regret it already.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 04-25-2017 at 09:31 PM.

Type
    intp
    I don't get compliments anymore. That was a thing when I was working under my potential or going to school, though. Usually I'd just say "thank you" and smile.
    "Doesn't matter what a man has if he doesn't have purpose. You take that away from him, man usually goes with it." -Beau

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Unless it's about something superficial or work-related, I'm embarrassed by them. As in, remarks about my character or more personal things, I feel a bit weird about that. But it goes for the opposite as well (criticism). I don't typically invite these kinds of opinions but there may be some cases in which they come up, often not in the best of circumstances (good or bad traits in adversity).
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    xxxx
    huh. i'm gonna answer my own questions so i stop feeling this is anything out of the ordinary.

i've been complimented on: appearance, school performance, art stuff / work (from friends, colleagues, art directors, instructors), personality, clothes

also my SO compliments me regularly on all sorts of things.

i can generally tell when it's insincere, but i don't get many of these cuz i don't hang out with people who do this much.

if i've worked hard on something and it's noticed, that's meaningful. compliments on appearance are forgettable in comparison.

i can't think of things i wish i was complimented more on, other than hard work and thoughtfulness.

Type
    INTP
    I ignore them at best, receive them with a mixture of doubt and suspicion at worst. I don't pay attention to about what or when. All so many statements which are either ignorant or meant to manipulate me, both, or worse. This as applies to most people on Earth, apart from those few who know me. For to compliment someone effectively/meaningfully, you must know them, as I see it. Otherwise? Harmless/useless platitudes at best.

Banned
    Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Unless it's about something superficial or work-related, I'm embarrassed by them. As in, remarks about my character or more personal things, I feel a bit weird about that. But it goes for the opposite as well (criticism). I don't typically invite these kinds of opinions but there may be some cases in which they come up, often not in the best of circumstances (good or bad traits in adversity).
    @Madrigal. I admire how well you interact with others, keep an open mind and are willing to give others the benefit of the doubt. We haven't met irl, but I just know these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    I ignore them at best, receive them with a mixture of doubt and suspicion at worst. I don't pay attention to about what or when. All so many statements which are either ignorant or meant to manipulate me, both, or worse. This as applies to most people on Earth, apart from those few who know me. For to compliment someone effectively/meaningfully, you must know them, as I see it. Otherwise? Harmless/useless platitudes at best.
    You have trust issues. Here's a compliment anyway. @Ptah, I enjoyed your tarot card youtube video and you sound much nicer than I thought you would. Also, I don't hand out bullshit/fake compliments.
    Last edited by Tigerlily; 04-26-2017 at 12:21 AM.

What kind I typically get: None that I can think of off the top of my head. I think I'm just not very complimentable or something. Probably due to me being rather arrogant and full of myself. Nobody wants to complement that sort. That's what I tell myself so I can sleep at night, anyway. - But seriously, I do get compliments I'm sure. I just can't think of them right now!

Do I believe in them: Sometimes. Depends on what they are and from whom they come from.

How I can tell if it's meaningful: I guess I rely on intuition mostly. It also helps if I already believed the compliment before receiving it. Nothing's worse than getting a complement for something you absolutely don't believe you deserve. Makes you want to confess your sins.

What do I wish I were complimented more on: I guess anything that I put a lot of hard work into would be nice to get complimented on. Nothing say's fuck like spending 100's of hours on something and everyone that witnesses it or reaps benefits from it is just meh. Even if it's a disaster (like spending all day cooking a chili that tastes like shit), please tell me it tastes like shit, but give me an A for effort! I think that's where I give out the most compliments; for things that people obviously put a lot of effort towards something that benefits more than themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.