Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dare to be Different

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Dare to be Different

My twin and I have an inside joke. Whenever we come across someone with a behavior, hobby or interest that's clearly aimed at pretending to be interesting - either cause:

-your life is meaningless
    -you want to get laid
    -you have no detectable personality so you just gotta pile it on
    -you're the target market of "edgy trends"
    -you just wouldn't have anything to say to anyone otherwise

We look at each other and say "dare to be different". (An advertising slogan from the 90s - for what, I don't remember).

It's been a while since I've needed to make a thread where I can call out the idiot trends and hobbies people are picking up in an effort to dare to be different. Let the fun begin!
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I love this shit because I'm an idiot and can relate so hard. When I look at how I dressed as a teenager, and then in my early twenties... I must have come across as so *peculiar*. I wore women's clothes a lot in my late teens/early twenties and sparkly scarves and these four inch platform doc martens. I did have a phase in high school where I wore a black leather trench coat. But in my early twenties I got mistaken for a woman occasionally, or maybe for someone trying to pass as one.

At least I never got any tattoos. I do have some big lame self-harm scars... come to think of it, those are probably the most representative of my sense of style over the years.

Am I missing the point of this thread? I feel like I am

Type
    INTP
    I'll just put this here.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    If I had a penny for every time bitches came up to me, talking all that shyt about CCITT x.509 asymmetric cryptography, weaknesses in their signing SHA-1 hash, or asking to be penetration tested, I'd have no money.
    I am the son and heir of nothing in particular.

Does this count? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...aga-loves.html

Oh wait, that's her job. Guess not.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

DOA Space Invaders Champion Neville's Avatar
    Type
    infj
    I dressed exclusively in Hot Topic clothing during High School...
    “Words bend our thinking to infinite paths of self-delusion, and the fact that we spend most of our mental lives in brain mansions built of words means that we lack the objectivity necessary to see the terrible distortion of reality which language brings.” ― Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Type
    xxxx
    i never went through a phase like that.

when i was a teenager i went through a phase where i wanted to be mainstream and wore "preppy" clothes.

i'm so different from you guys.

Type
    xxxx
    Being diferent is to be applauded.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Members Only jackets were big in HS and I avoided them for that reason. If Izod shirts were in my price range, I'd have avoided them because they're too identifiable (the alligator). JanSport backpacks became popular at some point and I avoided them when looking for a backpack because they seemed to be trendy and favored by school kids.

Two out of my price range trends were sheepskin coats like this and, maybe just in my HS, goose down coats of any style. I think goose down had been around for a while but the bad kids were learning their trade and there was talk about what's worth stealing. They'd shout "goose!" when they thought they saw someone wearing one. I'm not sure I'd have wanted one even if I had the money.

I'm not sure what's new, but I'm sure the next trend will be dumb.
    My friends are Lurker, Dot, Lud, highlander, interprétation erronée, and Tlalocone. I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended. 10/2/2016 Edit: if you make your avatar a picture of my foot or feet for 30 days (45 days for GnarlFox and kali), I will accept your friend request. Send me a Notice of Intent so I can start the clock.

Type
    INxP
    I got several piercings when I was in undergrad, like eyebrow, tongue, lip. I also bought an electric guitar. Once I dyed my hair very very very very very very dark blue but most people didn't notice except when they saw my fingers. I guess most of that was about trying to get laid more but it didn't work for the most part.

Aiming at pretending to be interesting is something I feel vaguely guilty about ... like on some level I do it ... or the intent is there ... even if I can't point to a smoking gun.