Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dare to be Different

Type
    INTP
    Pretending to be interesting can work, vaguely, when you're a teenager. The insecurities and naivety of the age are enough to sow doubt over what is actually interesting. But the counter-culture consumerism is so huge you could be forgiven for thinking you're the strange one for not dressing like a neon leather peacock. Norm-core!

There's no real need to guess at pretension when you can judge mundane behavior at face value. I guess it's easy to forget the intent.

The superficial "adult" equivalent with clothing, to me, is wearing a blazer and/or scarf over everything. This doesn't look as douchey as a man-bun, but somehow it doesn't feel right day-to-day. Neither would a suit, I guess. I think we've touched on overthinking clothing before. I'm rarely satisfied with anything I buy anymore.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    i never went through a phase like that.

when i was a teenager i went through a phase where i wanted to be mainstream and wore "preppy" clothes.

i'm so different from you guys.
    Yeah, ditto, although more due to laziness than anything else. I tried to play the guitar once, but it was too boring. Later I got sick of those idiots that sit around in public playing guitar, so that was definitely out. I even went through a preppy phase in my early 20s, although it culminated with me buying a few suits and $400 shoes and then deciding that it wasn't worth it.

I don't know, I mean I meet several of the criteria in the OP (meaningless life, wanting to get laid [what a sucker I am, wanting to get laid!]), but doing dumb shit just to compensate for it seems to highlight those facets more than anything.

That said, this aspect of humanity is arguably an important part of why we have modern civilization, so I'd say OP is thoroughly philistine.
    "Doesn't matter what a man has if he doesn't have purpose. You take that away from him, man usually goes with it." -Beau

dormant
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    The superficial "adult" equivalent with clothing, to me, is wearing a blazer and/or scarf over everything.
    doesn't everybody wear blazers? i feel this weird pressure to go out and buy a blazer, that's how common it is.

last week for a presentation i wore a t-shirt that i designed with jeans and black boots. like... that's douchey maybe, or artistic depending on who you ask.

i can't pull off some of the stuff women wear. ftr i think my style sucks if i have to dress in anything that's not casual.

also my unpopular opinion re: manbuns is that they look good and aren't douchey if the guy takes care of his hair. :| that hairstyle is practical for long hair and it's not gendered. i only feel this way cuz i've seen some great manbuns irl. i think "manbuns" sound kinda stupid though, they should just be called buns. you don't say womanbuns.

idk this topic confuses me but i'm gonna be reading along

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I don't think this will become a trend but fashion models are often different.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1Bfg6HFXXXXbzXXXXq6xXFXXXF/B3-shearling-Leather-font-b-jacket-b-font-Bomber-Fur-pilot-World-II-font-b-Flying.jpg

I also don't like shaven chests. I think they photoshopped out his nipples too.
    My friends are Lurker, Dot, Lud, highlander, interprétation erronée, and Tlalocone. I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended. 10/2/2016 Edit: if you make your avatar a picture of my foot or feet for 30 days (45 days for GnarlFox and kali), I will accept your friend request. Send me a Notice of Intent so I can start the clock.

Sure I silently mock egregious examples but taking things too far and experimenting is part of figuring out who you are. The world would be a pretty boring place without that. I don't regret my tattoos but I don't feel the need to get any more. Though I've mellowed with age, I still take pleasure in the cryptic antagonism of the revelations beast encircling my left arm.

Type
    INTP
    I think this is why people do triathalons.

All of these people in Portland wear suspenders and have curly mustaches and beanies. I don't think they're from around here.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff
    doesn't everybody wear blazers? i feel this weird pressure to go out and buy a blazer, that's how common it is.
    I see them in business districts, sometimes the busy bar areas. The men who sport them tend to be 30+. In most cases I think I'd feel out of place.

It's a small hypocrisy to avoid preppy clothing as I actually really like skirts, summer dresses and casual-business attire on women. They're in the same league, right?

last week for a presentation i wore a t-shirt that i designed with jeans and black boots. like... that's douchey maybe, or artistic depending on who you ask.
    Sounds good to me, but what do I know. I like just about all popular variations of clothing styles for women. Thinking about it, the last thing I found a bit off-putting is leggings with no skirt covering below the waist. It can be quite the sight but doesn't leave much to the imagination. I don't even mind the full-blown pumpkin-spice-undergrad getup, though I'd like to meet the genius who convinced a generation to pay an exuberant amount for fucking rubber boots.

also my unpopular opinion re: manbuns is that they look good and aren't douchey if the guy takes care of his hair. :| that hairstyle is practical for long hair and it's not gendered. i only feel this way cuz i've seen some great manbuns irl.
    I've seen a few good ones. Weeks ago at a jazz bar about half a dozen greasy bearded chubby guys had ugly man-buns to match, and that's all I associate them with now. Greasy hipsters. We've reached peak man-bun.

i think "manbuns" sound kinda stupid though, they should just be called buns. you don't say womanbuns.
    Well it saves the trouble of explaining context. And sounds funny.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by flurps View Post
    All of these people in Portland wear suspenders and have curly mustaches and beanies. I don't think they're from around here.
    All I saw were dumpy, slack jawed white girls in red and black plaid shirts, traipsing around as though Nirvana were still around.
    Nevermind.

I haunted Tigard for nine days with red eyes in pin stripes.
    "Jesus was not a poof and neither was he married."
    -Guess who

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    doesn't everybody wear blazers? i feel this weird pressure to go out and buy a blazer, that's how common it it is
    My 65 y/o dad is wearing them now, with printed t-shirts underneath, so I think something's gone horribly wrong... but yeah, I always wanted to know wtf to wear a blazer with. I have a black one but it seems too fancy. Well, I had a black one, it might be gone because my little sister silently raids my closet whenever she comes here.

also my unpopular opinion re: manbuns is that they look good and aren't douchey if the guy takes care of his hair. :|
    Agreed. Actually, it's the only way a guy with long hair should wear his hair, IMO. Erm, I dated two guys who wore them, they were both Central Americans and had a high douche factor going on. One of them wore his hair down once and then never again, I think it was the look on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    I think this is why people do triathalons.
    Thank you, yes, fake sports rank high on the Dare to be Different list for me. Also a lot of high risk stuff and general thrill-seeking activities, stupid instruments, pseudo religions, activities involving cultural appropriation, defunct performance arts (actually let's toss some of the contemporary ones in there too), traditional dances when done by outsiders who blend in like a toilet in the living room, foodie shit, fashionable workouts, fake martial arts, certain health trends, and almost anything that involves meeting strangers to do something whacky and attentionwhoreing and then never seeing them again. Actually, clothes and fashion wasn't what I had in mind when I started the thread, but I could knock myself out there too.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao