Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dare to be Different

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by flurps View Post
    All of these people in Portland wear suspenders and have curly mustaches and beanies. I don't think they're from around here.
    I was looking for them and found one of your quadrofountains. I'll stick to bottled water if I visit Portland.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    INFP
    I'm probably boring for not seeing the dichotomy between the boring and non-boring.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    All I saw were dumpy, slack jawed white girls in red and black plaid shirts, traipsing around as though Nirvana were still around.
    Nevermind.

I haunted Tigard for nine days with red eyes in pin stripes.
    Tigard is haram.
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I was looking for them and found one of your quadrofountains. I'll stick to bottled water if I visit Portland.
    I see you've found a hobo genital washing station.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by flurps View Post
    I see you've found a hobo genital washing station.
    And here's a hobo getting prepared.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by last_caress View Post
    Sure I silently mock egregious examples but taking things too far and experimenting is part of figuring out who you are. The world would be a pretty boring place without that. I don't regret my tattoos but I don't feel the need to get any more. Though I've mellowed with age, I still take pleasure in the cryptic antagonism of the revelations beast encircling my left arm.
    this is how i feel about it mostly. when i see somebody doing something new & interesting my first thought also isn't that they're trying to be impressive but wanting to try a new experience. and so fucking what? it's better to do that than never get out of your comfort zone. i think people who were insecure about their own boring-ness would probably think that about me. i mean, i like a lot of esoteric things that somebody who doesn't know/like me might roll their eyes at but if i gave a fuck i'd be a loser.

it gets ridiculous only if they're taking on new things all the time as part of their identity and constantly re-inventing themselves

Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Thank you, yes, fake sports rank high on the Dare to be Different list for me. Also a lot of high risk stuff and general thrill-seeking activities, stupid instruments, pseudo religions, activities involving cultural appropriation, defunct performance arts (actually let's toss some of the contemporary ones in there too), traditional dances when done by outsiders who blend in like a toilet in the living room, foodie shit, fashionable workouts, fake martial arts, certain health trends, and almost anything that involves meeting strangers to do something whacky and attentionwhoreing and then never seeing them again. Actually, clothes and fashion wasn't what I had in mind when I started the thread, but I could knock myself out there too.
    i can associate an "image" with every one of these things you've mentioned and i think it's largely facebook/instagram/social media culture that makes people do stuff like that just for the photo and likes.
    Unicorns: I occasionally behave like one; while behaving like a unicorn, I put a condom on my horn, stuck it into a dumbbell weight to keep it safe from tarnishing. But my soul was already tarnished; simultaneously, my words were also tarnished.
    --INTPx

Type
    INTP
    Thanks Madrigal for making me feel fake because i just started kitesurfing lessons.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    i mean, i like a lot of esoteric things that somebody who doesn't know/like me might roll their eyes at but if i gave a fuck i'd be a loser.
    Yeah, I can't always judge if someone is daring to be different or not unless I know a bit about their personality. Like I know a few eccentrics who don't really care at all what people think they do or don't do.

it gets ridiculous only if they're taking on new things all the time as part of their identity and constantly re-inventing themselves
    Yep, that's a big one. I also think a lot of those people have psychological problems.

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    Thanks Madrigal for making me feel fake because i just started kitesurfing lessons.
    This should go in my sig.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    And here's a hobo getting prepared.
    I don't know what this guy is up to, but it looks to me like he stole a guitar.

I've always viewed a lot of these things as just side effects to being truly extroverted.

I got into diving, but hated most of diving because it was a club. Love diving solo though, or with a few close family members.. on our own... without a damned charter boat full of club members.

I got a dog, but hate a lot of dog ownership because it turned out to be a club thing too. Love my dog. Starting to hate dog people.

The irony is.. it's me. I'm the one most guilty of daring to be different. So different that I can't stand the fact that everything I do is supposed to be some fucked up society of people doing the same thing with etiquette and rules and just... bleh!

I'm in a lifetime search to find something I enjoy doing that nobody else gives a shit about. What is that thing? TELL ME!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    I've always viewed a lot of these things as just side effects to being truly extroverted.

I got into diving, but hated most of diving because it was a club. Love diving solo though, or with a few close family members.. on our own... without a damned charter boat full of club members.

I got a dog, but hate a lot of dog ownership because it turned out to be a club thing too. Love my dog. Starting to hate dog people.

The irony is.. it's me. I'm the one most guilty of daring to be different. So different that I can't stand the fact that everything I do is supposed to be some fucked up society of people doing the same thing with etiquette and rules and just... bleh!

I'm in a lifetime search to find something I enjoy doing that nobody else gives a shit about. What is that thing? TELL ME!
    I hear you.

I joined various clubs like scuba diving, freediving, spearfishing, cycling, marine research, billiards, poker, kitesurfing, poetry and when i was much younger i joined the scouts(got kicked out), dancing clubs, martial arts clubs, football clubs, basketball clubs etc.

I realised that most people i met in those clubs were getting emotional satisfaction by being part of a group with a certain mission.

Also they like sharing with each other irrelevant facts about their lives.

They are not there to hone their skills and learn from each other in order to develop themselves.

I did not relate to that... at all.

I joined to gather knowedge, live the creativity and excitement of the sport or activity and if i got lucky meet some interesting people( vary rare occasions) to have weird conversations with them.

At the end of the day i prefer to do my activities solo or with one or two other people with whom i can be as quirky and strange as i feel like at any given moment, without worrying whether my behavior fits the one expected from a group.

I am in love with my freedom and independence, but i can also become as extraverted as i need to, in order to accomplish my goals.