Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternative lucrative careers\money making activities that play to INTP strengths

Type
    INTP
    I think it's not so helpful to list jobs/careers as INTP happiness is more contextual. Meaning, it's more the particulars of a job, rather than general field. For example let's consider a job not considered INTP friendly: customer service. Few INTP's would like your typical customer service job. But we can conceive of a position that would be enjoyable. Imagine being in a group where you are the guru for technical customer service. There are banks of people manning the phones, but they only consult you on a problem they can't solve, and you don't have to interface directly with the customer. You are the resident guru basically. The rest of the time you can surf the web or whatever, in between solving problems, oh and you're paid really well too. Seems likely most INTP's would like a job like this.

Having said that clearly there are some fields that are more widely likely to satisfy an INTP than others. Clearly any involving autonomy and analytical skills.

Type
    INTP
    Secrets Of Running A Six-Figure Airbnb Business

The AirBnb Experiment

Not sure how well this has been recently (a fad?) nor how transparent this works outside of competition more recently once it catches on (hence why most new trendy side income jobs become less appealing "once the shine wears off,") and people either lose interest in it or prefer to use the "tried and true" person with a decent reputation that started out early on the website (creating something of a monopoly,) and given how INTP can be less than keen to want to pay attention to the details that most sensors are real nitpicky or being less than reliable keeping track of whom they are renting to (not to mention the usual BS that could be encountered when dealing with people that might not be trustworthy,) and hence could encounter some resistance to the subject. Plus it really depends on the locale and how you plan on marketing something like this.

Alternatively start out doing various hobbies or offering free services to build up a portfolio (something I have yet to do.) A lot of opportunities exist (and I might list the websites or apps that can be used to start gaining experience in things other than traditional jobs.) One reason I don't particularly do this to more of an extent, has a lot to do with little desire to keep track of info relating to either taxes or potential liability (for those preferring to stay in their "comfort zone," this could be a main contributor to staying in the metaphorical basement.)

Websites like these are probably a side-effect of a housing and economic bubble.

Type
    INTP

May or may not be an INTP, though this is kind of an ideal business from my standpoint. You can roast coffee beans without buying an expensive Diedrich coffee roaster such as the IR-12 shown in this video which costs $28,000 (a simple Whirley Pop is sufficient; I advise only filling it as much, that when spinning the stirrer, that you can see the bottom of the pan. Get stainless steel with metal gears.)

Alternatively, beer brewing would be good. The best beers (as well as worst) are always homebrewed. This is difficult to monetize properly (and if you have a hobby, sometimes it's best to not turn it into some capitalist bullshit.)

Pretty interesting interview with a family member that makes the roaster.
    Last edited by Catoptric; 08-15-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Type
    INTP
    I've been looking at computer coding 'Bootcamps' however find that many seem to believe they are just revealing freely available information online, and unless you actually want to be tied into a structured program (which might help some people to pull through it if they are otherwise predisposed to distraction, and having paid roughly $5000 for a program would perhaps compel you more.) The issue I have is this kind of program doesn't particularly stand out to employers whom would prefer more experience, however it could be helpful to build up a portfolio of work, and convince someone to hire you (I don't know, I've never been that curious about programming and believe the market has become somewhat saturated with those whom would prey upon desperation to escape the "service industry."

Publishing books on Amazon seems like an interesting thing, though I suspect a great deal of it is tripey crap that your normal idiot book reader (that is more often likely to go to the library to pick up a movie, etc.) than anything intelligent. It probably would help to offer a means to being recognized for work (in a time when going above and beyond people's expectations often entails "Freebies") that could then segue into another profit-stream. I perceive a deluge of crappy books overshadowing legitimate reading material, in which people are more likely to give 5 stars to a book written at a 5th grade level that is purposely linear and non-ambiguous. It reminds me of how often any complex story in any format of literature or movie will often have people (even critics) completely missing the point of what was being shown to them.

What I find absurd is how most things that actually make money are the absurdity of market enterprise (where simply a logo or recognized name will set apart a "value" ascribed to something that is no less tangible than an alternative.) A sport athlete could make $150,000 for a few hours of gameplay, and the dumb consumer sitting in the audience feeling "cool" for spending a few hours of work money on that game just to watch some people whacking balls around, are no different from a whore selling themselves for vicarious ego-fulfillment.