Gideon (Judges 8:30)
    Elkanah (1 Samuel 1:2)
    Saul (2 Samuel 3:7)
    David (2 Samuel 15:16-17)
    Solomon (1 Kings 11:3-4) hundreds
    Rehoboam (2 Chronicles 11:21)
    Abijah (2 Chronicles 13:21)
    Jehoram (2 Chronicles 21:17)

Leviticus 20:11 "Having sex with one of your fatherís wives disgraces him...."

It seems to be fairly normal for people in the Bible, including God's people, to practice polygamy. I can't find any verse that is against it except Jesus talking about two people becoming one.

Also men with concubines:
    Abraham (Genesis 25:6)
    David (2 Samuel 5:13)
    Solomon (1 Kings 11:3)

Now of course most Christians are against it... an exception is:
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/polychr.htm

Type
    xNxx
    While I'm glad you're digging through the old testament for your religious education, I think you should go for the apocrypha.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    licks one vajoinah, seeks divine permission to lick more.

Type
    iNtP
    Idaho... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    INTPx Award Winner
    my take on the biblical message concerning this is "enter at your own risk"... biblical polygamy is portrayed as breaking up families and making people miserable...

post script:

this post is my 1,000th... huh...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

Type
    INTP
    Some say Moses (who wrote the law) had two wives since there's a reference to his Cushite wife as well as many references to his more famous Midianite wife, Zipporah. Although some argue that they're somehow the same person.

EDIT: Wikipedia says he had three wives: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygamy_in_Christianity
    Last edited by greenblob; 05-11-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    licks one vajoinah, seeks divine permission to lick more.
    No just some stroking and long ago some fingering and of course penile penetration, but no licking yet...

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by greenblob View Post
    Some say Moses (who wrote the law) had two wives since there's a reference to his Cushite wife as well as many references to his more famous Midianite wife, Zipporah. Although some argue that they're somehow the same person.

EDIT: Wikipedia says he had three wives: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygamy_in_Christianity
    It took me a while to see that that article did justify its claim:
    "Moses had 3 wives; Zipporah (Exodus 2: 21), the daughter of Hobab (Numbers 10: 29) and the Ethiopian woman (Numbers 12:1)"

I found something very interesting:
    http://jandyongenesis.blogspot.com.a...two-wives.html
    "In order for Moses to rule, he had to have two wives. This pattern of rulers having two wives is first found in Genesis 4 which mentions Lamech and his two wives. It continues through the generations with Nahor, Terah, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and as we have seen with Moses. This also explains Abraham's urgency to fetch a cousin wife for Isaac so that Isaac could rule after Abraham's death"

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnClay View Post
    No just some stroking and long ago some fingering and of course penile penetration, but no licking yet...
    Exodus 3:4
    When the Lord saw that he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush, “Moses! Moses!”

Give me oil in my lamp, keep me burning
    Give me oil in my lamp, I pray
    Give me oil in my lamp, keep me burning
    Keep me burning 'til the break of day

Sing hosanna, sing hosanna
    Sing hosanna to the King of Kings
    Sing hosanna, sing hosanna
    Sing hosanna to the King of Kings

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    @Limey I used to sing that in church in my childhood

Type
    INTP
    Actually, it seems like Jesus spoke in favor of polygamy. From the Gospel of Matthew:

"Then the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom. Five of them were foolish, and five were wise. For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them, but the wise took flasks of oil with their lamps. As the bridegroom was delayed, they all became drowsy and slept. But at midnight there was a cry, 'Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.' Then all those virgins rose and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.' But the wise answered, saying, 'Since there will not be enough for us and for you, go rather to the dealers and buy for yourselves.' And while they were going to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was shut. Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, 'Lord, lord, open to us.' But he answered, 'Truly, I say to you, I do not know you.' Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour."
    In Christian symbolism, Jesus is the bridegroom and his believers are all his brides. That in itself seems to promote polygamy, at least when taken at face value. Of course, most Christians would say that would be taking the metaphor too far. But in this parable, it seems like that's exactly what Jesus is saying. But then, there are other passages that promote monogamy.

Growing up, I remember this being a rather popular parable in Sunday school and church sermons, and I and thought it was odd that there's only one bridegroom when there are multiple brides, but the issue was never addressed.