View Poll Results: Does intent to "optimize" an organization lead to its' own demise?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

1 50.00%
  • It depends on the organization

1 50.00%

Thread: Lean Six Sigma: How Cutting Corners Destroys Organizations

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Lean Six Sigma: How Cutting Corners Destroys Organizations

A problem exists where even the tolerant, but uncreative/linear Manager, will run out of solutions; out of attempting to short-change operation costs (think of the 'Lean Six-Sigma' as something that is endemic to a capitalist framework) will repeatedly make bad decisions in the hopes that a "tolerant" management team will facilitate "treading light on the water" of the underlings. People that are probably raised on this destructive management style are probably finding themselves in deep water once the economy is less flexible with the tolerances being established within a consumer society; demanding more for less only works from the consumer angle and when it is not provided within the facility of those burned out under the entrenched old-style of leadership, these very same upper management will be gazing left and right at the cut-throat organization that is ultimately "looking to cut corners."

The Effect Of Lean Six Sigma On The Employee And The Organization
    - http://www.123helpme.com/effect-of-l....asp?id=167727

At some point you may run into this problem:
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." George Bernard Shaw

Or?

*Look at photo*
    My hypothesis is that companies that are too enmeshed in denying critical thinking to their operations, despite wanting to resolve such issues cannot reasonably succeed in progress, without such "jerks."

Do "jerks" set themselves up for failure by resolving such issues; issues which conceal the fundamental flaw of a business (whether it be moral reasoning or operational deficiency.) Can "jerks" be more ethical if they don't follow the herd mentality of such organizations, and if so why do so many sabotage the "jerk?"

Might the perception of a "jerk" be the result of a misconception, much like a Solomon Asch experiment on conformity and how, if they might represent an affront to the status quo, could easily be derived as a "jerk" because someone does not "relate."

The reality is INTP are fairly rare and fairly creative, and more than likely will always have problems finding a niche that doesn't cause conflict within an organization.

Type
    INTP
    Your post reminded me of this old chestnut. Been around for years yet is still completely apropos:

An American automobile company and a Japanese auto company decided to have a competitive boat race on the Detroit River. Both teams practiced hard and long to reach their peak performance. On the big day, they were as ready as they could be.

The Japanese team won by a mile.

Afterwards, the American team became discouraged by the loss and their morale sagged. Corporate management decided that the reason for the crushing defeat had to be found. A Continuous Measurable Improvement Team of "Executives" was set up to investigate the problem and to recommend appropriate corrective action.

Their conclusion: The problem was that the Japanese team had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, whereas the American team had 1 person rowing and 8 people steering. The American Corporate Steering Committee immediately hired a consulting firm to do a study on the management structure.

After some time and billions of dollars, the consulting firm concluded that "too many people were steering and not enough rowing." To prevent losing to the Japanese again next year, the management structure was changed to "4 Steering Managers, 3 Area Steering Managers, and 1 Staff Steering Manager" and a new performance system for the person rowing the boat to give more incentive to work harder and become a six sigma performer. "We must give him empowerment and enrichment." That ought to do it.

The next year the Japanese team won by two miles.

The American Corporation laid off the rower for poor performance, sold all of the paddles, cancelled all capital investments for new equipment, halted development of a new canoe, awarded high performance awards to the consulting firm, and distributed the money saved as bonuses to the senior executives.

Type
    INTP
    I think the answer to the poll question is no, but it may frequently seem that way because companies will try to optimize in response to a cultural or business model problem. Optimization treats the symptoms and cannot be used as the solution for larger problems. Streamlining can work well for a healthy business though.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    My shortest ever job was at Bank of America, where they're numbnuts for six sigma. They talk about that more than the actual project itself sometimes.
    I didn't want to stick that crap out, so became a consultant instead. Plus, it was almost like you could not show up for work and no-one would notice. Lost in the numbers.
    I should go back there one day and see if a Jamaican coworker still thinks spending spare time researching wireless security is a waste of time after milking those hobby skills for some fifteen years now.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    Your post reminded me of this old chestnut. Been around for years yet is still completely apropos:
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    I think the answer to the poll question is no, but it may frequently seem that way because companies will try to optimize in response to a cultural or business model problem. Optimization treats the symptoms and cannot be used as the solution for larger problems. Streamlining can work well for a healthy business though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    My shortest ever job was at Bank of America, where they're numbnuts for six sigma. They talk about that more than the actual project itself sometimes.
    I didn't want to stick that crap out, so became a consultant instead. Plus, it was almost like you could not show up for work and no-one would notice. Lost in the numbers.
    I should go back there one day and see if a Jamaican coworker still thinks spending spare time researching wireless security is a waste of time after milking those hobby skills for some fifteen years now.
    A significant problem is the structure of most organizations and the system-dynamics in "towing the line" of conformity to the social-hierarchy and entrenched methodologies.

Why Organizations Donít Learn

Where metrics based off "what is known," "what is available," and "likely outcome/result" is shortsighted and intolerant of seeing potential setbacks; where demanding that passive conformity from all a workforce could further undermine the operation standards by having those incapable of seeing the value in insight are more likely to suppress or exploit the performance of the workforce (hence the "how to identify the smartest person in the room" might be "dragged under the bus" from the trenches or shying from the spotlight if it's known how futile the organization will ever value the contributions if it doesn't magically resolve the farcical issues, endemic to an entrenched culture of Peter principle.

Type
    INxx
    It depends on the organization. Streamlining is effective if middle management has the flexibility and technical knowledge to implement change. Positive influence towards the lower ranks is also important in achieving the desired outcome.

On "jerks". When someone challenge our ideas or belief system, we have the tendency to treat them (regardless of intent) as a threat to our person . They're undesirables. Challenging the status quo has always been that way.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    It depends on the organization. Streamlining is effective if middle management has the flexibility and technical knowledge to implement change. Positive influence towards the lower ranks is also important in achieving the desired outcome.

On "jerks". When someone challenge our ideas or belief system, we have the tendency to treat them (regardless of intent) as a threat to our person . They're undesirables. Challenging the status quo has always been that way.
    I tend to wonder if this woman felt like she was being targeted, by being a "jerk" that challenged the status quo?

HATE crime against women in the Silicon Valley/STEM

Type
    INxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Catoptric View Post
    I tend to wonder if this woman felt like she was being targeted, by being a "jerk" that challenged the status quo?

HATE crime against women in the Silicon Valley/STEM
    Do you have problems talking to women in real life? I'd understand if you do. But if not, dude, you quoted my post and wrote "this woman felt like". Like is there some kind of imaginary readers or something?

To "personally" answer your question, I've been labeled a bitch a couple of times. It's the term people use when they meet an opinionated woman in the boardroom. You're welcome.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    Do you have problems talking to women in real life? I'd understand if you do. But if not, dude, you quoted my post and wrote "this woman felt like". Like is there some kind of imaginary readers or something?

To "personally" answer your question, I've been labeled a bitch a couple of times. It's the term people use when they meet an opinionated woman in the boardroom. You're welcome.
    You seem to have misunderstood my inquiry; I was asking if a clique of those in majority would seek to usurp a minority, in order to consolidate their social-hierarchy.

You strike me as a psychopath.

Type
    INxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Catoptric View Post
    You seem to have misunderstood my inquiry; I was asking if a clique of those in majority would seek to usurp a minority, in order to consolidate their social-hierarchy.

You strike me as a psychopath.
    Asking who? That was the part that wasn't clear to me. If I struck a nerve...oh well.

Hurling me an ad hominem when I was trying to provide an answer to a question that I don't even know who is directed to, is rather low.

Also, may I suggest if you call someone a psychopath make sure you provide an accurate description. Psychopaths and sociopaths may share some traits but they are not the same.