View Poll Results: How many lights are always on in your bedroom?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll

3 50.00%

1 16.67%

1 16.67%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

1 16.67%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 20 or more

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many always-on lights in your bedroom?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

How many always-on lights in your bedroom?

Light effects the pineal gland. That's all I had to read. Just based on how it sounds, I try to do the right thing and reduce light at night as much as I can. This is hard with so many LEDs in electronics. In my bedroom I have four lights on my modem, four total from two surge protectors, one from my monitor, one for my answering machine, one for a lighted light switch, one for my air cleaner, and one for each number on my clock (but I'm counting clock lights as one). That's 13 lights. How about you?
    My friends are Lurker, Dot, Lud, highlander, interprétation erronée, and Tlalocone. I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended. 10/2/2016 Edit: if you make your avatar a picture of my foot or feet for 30 days (45 days for GnarlFox and kali), I will accept your friend request. Send me a Notice of Intent so I can start the clock.

Type
    xNxx
    zero

Type
    INTP
    Where is the "zero" option?
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    I have one clock light, but it can be turned off (not just dimmed, but off, which is a prerequisite for any clock that wants to be in my bedroom).

I have a fan which I drag in for the summer which has a power on light (a disturbingly bright blue led). I put black tape over it. My naturally intuitive skills give me other means to detect whether my fan is on.

So maybe 1 or 2 is my answer, but zero that actually emit light.

Type
    INTP
    Oh I guess I do have to count the numbers on my alarm clock. The only downside to the clock (a biolite that automatically dims when the alarm is set gradually brightens starting 30 min before it goes off) is that the numbers are green instead of red.

There's also some light that leaks out from my closet - Christmas light around a shrine. That's not technically in my room, though, so I didn't count it.

Type
    INTP
    Also, do y'all keep your cell phone (or any phone) in your bedroom while you sleep?

Me: Hell no.

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Also, do y'all keep your cell phone (or any phone) in your bedroom while you sleep?

Me: Hell no.
    yeah, but you can make it sleep and then wake up at a specific time

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I wear a sleep mask because there is a streetlight/moonlight issue and I estimated the cost of replacing the two walls of gigantic floor to ceiling windows with light blocking blinds and it was in the thousands. One day that will hopefully reach the top of my home improvement list, but it is no where near it right now. My sleep mask has headphones in it so I can listen to audiobooks I"ve already heard. This fools my brain into shutting up long enough to let me fall asleep.

I used to use biographies ("The Strangest Man" has been a favorite), but for the last several months I've been using "The Martian" as my audiobook of choice. The effect is that I sometimes forget that Mark Whatney is a fictional character and we haven't gone to Mars and there is no Aries program. I often use my holodeck to go to Gale Crater, and the frequency of dreams in which I'm going to Mars or I'm on Mars has gone way up, which is pretty much the most awesome sleep aid side effect I can even imagine.

I put my cell phone on "do not disturb" when I go to sleep, but set so that tornado warnings and alarm clocks still go off.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    I wear a sleep mask because there is a streetlight/moonlight issue and I estimated the cost of replacing the two walls of gigantic floor to ceiling windows with light blocking blinds and it was in the thousands. One day that will hopefully reach the top of my home improvement list, but it is no where near it right now. My sleep mask has headphones in it so I can listen to audiobooks I"ve already heard. This fools my brain into shutting up long enough to let me fall asleep.

I used to use biographies ("The Strangest Man" has been a favorite), but for the last several months I've been using "The Martian" as my audiobook of choice. The effect is that I sometimes forget that Mark Whatney is a fictional character and we haven't gone to Mars and there is no Aries program. I often use my holodeck to go to Gale Crater, and the frequency of dreams in which I'm going to Mars or I'm on Mars has gone way up, which is pretty much the most awesome sleep aid side effect I can even imagine.

I put my cell phone on "do not disturb" when I go to sleep, but set so that tornado warnings and alarm clocks still go off.
    That is so fucking cool.

But does it turn off/fade out automatically or play all night? The latter seems like it could be detrimental.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    That is so fucking cool.

But does it turn off/fade out automatically or play all night? The latter seems like it could be detrimental.
    The headphones are in a terrycloth headband and I have to position them perfectly in order to hear. They get jostled during the night, and when I wake up and need to go back to sleep, I end up having to reposition them in order to hear, so that's not an issue. I have an ancient 7inch tablet that's too slow for almost everything that I factory reset and uninstalled everything I could uninstall, and then put just my Audible app on. At night I put the charger on my phone so it's always charged up for the day, and during the day I put it on the tablet so that it's always charged up for the night. One could do the same with an obsolete smartphone.

https://www.amazon.com/CozyPhones-Sl...eep+headphones

Thanks to @stigmatica for the audiobook sleep solution. It has been, by far, the most effective thing for my insomnia. When I combine it with a 5mg melatonin, I'm out. My insomnia is wholly an effect of my brain not ever wanting to stfu.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle