Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What aroma brings forth a special memory, or association?

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner

Question What aroma brings forth a special memory, or association?

Some of mine:

Floor Polish - filing in to morning assembly in Junior school, to the tune of Adagio for strings in G minor or Grieg's Peer Gynt

Diesel fumes - Black cabs, red double decker buses, dangermouse and penfold

Suds oil - the demise of British heavy industries. My personal involvement in literally helping to build components for project babylon AKA the Iraqi supergun, while illegally working in a factory during summer holidays at age 15.
    now we know.

Type
    INFP
    Cottonwood Sap- Spring during my kid and teenage years, bare muddy feet and clay, homemade fishing poles, the flop and following scent of a sliced open brook trout, fresh sweet fireweed. Spring and all the life/death associations it brings.

Bear Fat- Winter, Warm/Home/Wood fire, sustenance, sated hunger, sticky slick mouths and lips, peace, to be rich, death for life, plush bear skins

Diesel- chainsaws, farm equipment, pink snow, blood, wet sawdust, lambs

Irish Spring Bar Soap/Head and Shoulders- my father

Fake Cherry Scent- cough syrup, medicine spoons, disgust, rotten candy, mold
    Oh fuck it, Its the 90's.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Certain types of eyeshadow/blush - my first Barbie (maybe I was about 4). She came with a pink briefcase that opened up and had three real make-up colors; brown, blue and red.

Japanese cherry blossom - my dollhouse. It smelled like Japanese cherry blossom.

Watercolors - Expo 86. No idea. I think that was around the only time I ever did any painting.

Johnson and Johnson talc - water balloons. I speant a summer having them as pets and I'd put talc on them

Glade, Fresh Mountain - A haunted house I helped organize one Halloween, kept spraying that shit everywhere

Aquamarine (shampoo) - swimming in the Caribbean

Chanel No. 5 - My great aunt

L'air du temps - My mother

Cherry chapstick - high school in Canada. Ugghhhhhh.

Jasmine - dead people

Infinity (perfume) - the 90s. Uuuuuuugh again.

Tear gas - feeling rebellious

Camels - my first bf

Britney Spears (Fantasy) - a guy I dated

Nina (Fantasy) - a crush

Peach moisturizer - working a night shift

Weed - planting, rap music, stressful times
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INxx
    Burnt leaves - afternoon playtime with my childhood friends
    Infused soy sauce, cane vinegar, garlic, and oyster sauce - my father
    Lilac-scented hand lotion - my great aunt
    Cherry blossom scented bath bombs - Japan, my sister
    Sea salt - reminds me so much of the sea and how I long to be back in action
    Danish cookies (you buy in Walmart that comes with different shapes but taste the same) - a college friend

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post

Johnson and Johnson talc - water balloons. I speant a summer having them as pets and I'd put talc on them
    I would genuinely like to know more about this. Why talc? Why water balloons?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Vison View Post
    I would genuinely like to know more about this. Why talc? Why water balloons?
    We lived in a co-op with a variety of stair case lengths. One summer we made water ballons for a something I'm sure must have been a fun idea, like a fight, but we ended up competing to see how many flights of stairs our balloons survived. Simultaneously, someone had improvised a "hospital" which was probably for people, and mainly consisted of bandages and scotch tape. We started taking our balloons there if we noticed leaks. Most would pop, sometimes on the "nurse". Pretty soon there were "champion" balloons though that beat all the challenges, and we'd take them home and treat them as live beings. In the following days we made a club for anyone who owned a water balloon and had water balloon meet-ups and exchanged tips on how to keep them from popping. They always popped pretty soon, especially if anyone had a cat. I finally discovered a secret though, which was that the balloon had to be kept in a bit of water. I kept my last surviving balloon under my bed in a pan of water until winter. Finally I got tired of having it so I tied a string to the tip and took it out for a walk over the snow. I set it "free" somewhere in the park and that was the end of the water balloon thing.

All of us were so normal before the internet.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    We lived in a co-op with a variety of stair case lengths. One summer we made water ballons for a something I'm sure must have been a fun idea, like a fight, but we ended up competing to see how many flights of stairs our balloons survived. Simultaneously, someone had improvised a "hospital" which was probably for people, and mainly consisted of bandages and scotch tape. We started taking our balloons there if we noticed leaks. Most would pop, sometimes on the "nurse". Pretty soon there were "champion" balloons though that beat all the challenges, and we'd take them home and treat them as live beings. In the following days we made a club for anyone who owned a water balloon and had water balloon meet-ups and exchanged tips on how to keep them from popping. They always popped pretty soon, especially if anyone had a cat. I finally discovered a secret though, which was that the balloon had to be kept in a bit of water. I kept my last surviving balloon under my bed in a pan of water until winter. Finally I got tired of having it so I tied a string to the tip and took it out for a walk over the snow. I set it "free" somewhere in the park and that was the end of the water balloon thing.

All of us were so normal before the internet.

This was great. Thank you!

Type
    xNTJ
    ... that awkward moment when you realise your Si is so piss-poor that you can't for the life of you recall any meaningful scent. I mean, I'm a big fan of the smell of woodland. Especially after a spot of rain.

Great thread, though. Interesting to read.

Type
    INTP
    You mean petrichor? Try it in the desert!

I have scents to describe later, but was unexpectedly reminded of images that make me relive scents. Does this happen to anyone else?

When I see a close up old guitar or banjo, my nose is filled with the phantom scent of resin (or amber?), dust, instruments, wood, and the cigarellos things my great grandfather used to smoke.
    Don't remember changing this.

Type
    INTP
    Cigars -- my grandfather.

Cinnamon-scented Speed Stick deodorant -- a young Mrs. Woolf. I used it during the three years we lived apart, until the company stopped making it. Bastards.
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro