Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What aroma brings forth a special memory, or association?

Burning leaves and camp fires - first dates with an old gf.

Early on in dating, one summer night we went to an outdoor party at her friends out in the sticks where I met a lot of them for the first time. I got really drunk, was running and jumping over the fire and culminated with laying down in the dirt near it and puking. I was shocked that she still wanted to see me after that.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by last_caress View Post
    Burning leaves and camp fires - first dates with an old gf.

Early on in dating, one summer night we went to an outdoor party at her friends out in the sticks where I met a lot of them for the first time. I got really drunk, was running and jumping over the fire and culminated with laying down in the dirt near it and puking. I was shocked that she still wanted to see me after that.
    What was the dealbreaker in the end?
    "Jesus was not a poof and neither was he married."
    -Guess who

Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    What was the dealbreaker in the end?
    In her final year away at school she started playing drums in a rock band after I showed her how on the drums in my basement when she was home for the summer. It was just for fun and I didn't think it wouldn't go anywhere.

After 3 years together, she called me up out of the blue one day and told me it was over and she wasn't coming back. I was totally blindsided. I had already bought a house expecting she was going to move in with me after school was done. I never saw or spoke to her again after that. She was married with kids last time I checked facebook few years ago and still playing.

Type
    iNtP
    Idaho... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    INTPx Award Winner
    motor oil: my grandfather... i worked in a wrecking yard with him when school was out... the smell of the work was with him as long as i can recall

marijuana: spending time with various adults as a small child... maybe just of childhood in general...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    Cigars -- my grandfather.

Cinnamon-scented Speed Stick deodorant -- a young Mrs. Woolf. I used it during the three years we lived apart, until the company stopped making it. Bastards.
    Just to clarify, do you mean it was your deoderant which you used while you still hadn't moved in together, or do you mean it was her deoderant but you started wearing it yourself during a long-distance period in your relationship?
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Just to clarify, do you mean it was your deoderant which you used while you still hadn't moved in together, or do you mean it was her deoderant but you started wearing it yourself during a long-distance period in your relationship?
    The latter. I like her scent without deodorant, but cinnamon went well with her scent.
    "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is reality. Your cries do not move me." -- Sistamatic

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    There were two apricot trees in our Grandparent’s back yard. I’m not sure what Granddad did to feed them and care for them, but whatever it was, it worked. They lived in the middle of a desert, and within the boundaries of their yard, the grass was lush and perfect, the hand welded grape arbor and swing had thick vines and giant grapes, the pecan trees were laden, and the apricot trees were heavy every spring with blankets of flowers that would become clusters of plump, silky fruit. When they ripened, we could eat apricots until we were too full, and Grandma would make preserves and pies, and we sometimes spent hours in the yard taking turns on the hand crank ice cream churn to make apricot ice cream. As a bonus, they were the best climbing trees, with low hanging fat limbs for easy access. After Granddad died, Grandma declined and so, too, did the yard. The apricot trees died, but their flat-cut stumps remained. By the time we had to sell her home, the place Granddad had built for her in 1955, the place our dad had lived since he was ten, and the one place that had remained constant through our lives as military brats, and all the many moves beyond that, the stumps had bleached white like bones in the desert sun. Now, when I smell an apricot, it strikes me as odd that it should still smell exactly the way it did when I was a child because everything else in my world has changed.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    I smell peach ice cream or night jasmine and think of warm summer nights.

Peaches grow well in the desert and my grandparents had their fleet of grandkids crank the ice cream maker every year at bbqs. It's my favorite ice cream to this day and I still remember the dull ache in my arm, the impatience, and the sound of rock salt and ice grinding together arrhythmically (disrrhythmically?)
    Don't remember changing this.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Certain types of eyeshadow/blush - my first Barbie (maybe I was about 4). She came with a pink briefcase that opened up and had three real make-up colors; brown, blue and red.
    I looked this up out of curiosity, turns out Angel Face Barbie was kind of a prude.

Spoiler: wtf
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao