Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Supernatural Beliefs

Type
    INtP

Supernatural Beliefs

Do you believe in anything that might be considered "supernatural"? Why? Any personal anecdotes (God, ghosts, etc) to share?

For those who reject all supernatural beliefs, how confident are you in humans' ability to know everything about the world through the five senses?

I'll show u the dark side slush puppie's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    Yes, but one key concept is that it is less about belief and more about giving fair evaluation to the evidence at hand.

I do not believe that all there is to be perceived can be perceived through the five senses, no.

As you probably all know by now, I do "believe" in discarnate entities that appear to inhabit a somewhat inaccessible, but still very much proximal, dimension close to our own.

Having been raised in evangelical circles---but also having stopped attending church at 12---I am open to the existence of a God(dess) or gods, but I am also open to the idea that there is nonesuch. Personally, I lean towards there being a Creator or creators of some kind, but I don't think I have enough information so far to say definitively.

I believe in certain cryptoids.

I probably believe in reincarnation, and more so in life beyond physical death.

Thus far, I do believe in telepathy and other psychic abilities. I believe the vast majority of people experience a low-level telepathy on a daily or near-daily basis.

And much more...
    Last edited by slush puppie; 06-06-2017 at 05:12 PM.

I'll show u the dark side slush puppie's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    I do not think people should base their belief systems purely, or disproportionately, on personal experience.

I, myself, have not been gifted/cursed with any kind of supernatural ability, nor do I have any firsthand anecdotal evidence whatsoever for any of that. Many people in my family, however, have reported numerous encounters with such beings as "ghosts"/discarnates, and also elf-like beings. This kind of a thing has sometimes occurred in homes that I have shared with some of these family members, but I myself have never been witness to any of it. It seems that, for some reason, these forces have never considered me a worthwhile target for their misdeeds or whatever you would call it.

When I was studying demonology years ago, I did learn that demons may actually be more likely to target believers/followers of Christ than non-believers; you might say that this is because the non-believers do not pose any kind of a threat, are already won over to the same side. I would fall under the category of non-believer, whereas probably most of the people in my family who have reported these happenings are basically Christians.

But um...some of the things that have happened are...low-key poltergeist-type activity in the house I lived in about 5-10 years ago. My mother would also see shadows moving around her bedroom at night. Footprints would show up in strange places. As for my extended family, my aunt lived in quite an ancient house with a lot of history behind it. It seems that on one occasion all the windows in a certain hallway shattered at the same time. People would see apparitions appear outside second-story or third-story windows in that house. They brought in a medium, and apparently they discovered there was some kind of treasure buried under the house.

Oh, I'm also an amateur astrologer.

I think it would get a tad more credence if people actually knew more than just the dumbed-down Sun Sign astrology that pollutes the web and pop culture.

It is quite a gorgeous system once you get into the real nitty-gritty of it.
    Last edited by slush puppie; 06-06-2017 at 05:58 PM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Santeros told me things would happen that started coming true, although I never stopped telling them I didn't believe. Especially since they wanted me to become a saint. Technically, Yemoja now wants my head and I'll get sick and die if I don't give it to her.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INFP
    Happiness strikes me as supernatural in that it seems totally unnecessary in the scheme of things - there are so many other ways the world can spark energy. Also, I think that most advertising tries to appeal to supernatural beliefs and intuitions.

(as a side note, I spent my high school years in a community of scientists, and many of them were extremely ritualistic and spiritual even though they would deny that adamantly. And I've probably seen more images of Einstein's face in my life than images of Jesus or the others. It's one of my pet peeves when people automatically put "natural" and "supernatural" and "science" and "spirituality" in different boxes, as if the cult of reason weren't a thing.)

anyway, when I was a kid, I periodically saw an alien standing at the foot of my bed. She would arrive there in the middle of the night - I would open my eyes and see here there starting at me. She looked like she was made of clay, she had green skin, and she wore a glittery purple dress. Screaming made her disappear. I probably saw her over twenty times and I was absolutely convinced that I wasn't dreaming - images of her stuck in my mind like memories, not dreams. I kept a camera next to my bed sometimes but I was always too scared of her to snap a photo.
    A few years ago I finally learned what this was all about (from an Oliver Sacks interview): hypnopompia. https://www.sleepassociation.org/pat...-during-sleep/
    "Better not to feel too much until the crisis ends—and if it never ends, at least we’ll have suffered a little less, developed a useful dullness...The constant—and very real—fear of being hurt, the fear of death, of intolerable loss, or even of “mere” humiliation, leads each of us, the citizens and prisoners of the conflict, to dampen our own vitality, our emotional and intellectual range, and to cloak ourselves in more and more protective layers until we suffocate." - Toni Morrison

Type
    INFP
    I've never seen a ghost or a UFO or anything like that. I spent most of my life thinking that if I only had enough faith I would have some kind of revelatory experience but that never happened. The closest thing I've ever had to a religious experience was noticing a puddle looked a lot like an angel when my dad almost died twelve-ish years ago. I was sitting on some steps where I was stationed with my head in my hands and I looked up at this oddly shaped puddle. I took it as a sign that there were greater powers pulling the strings at the time. It's weird, the ridiculous little things you latch onto. I'll probably remember that puddle even when I'm senile, if I live that long. I assume a God with a hard-on for free will would do most of the manifesting in subtle ways that aren't especially miraculous. I wouldn't believe any supernatural account I didn't experience first-hand. Who knows what's going in my own mind, let alone other people's? I mean, I'd 'believe' in a foxhole but not in the same way I believe the sun will keep rising.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

I had a few odd experiences as a kid but nothing sufficiently magical to perturb a fundamentally scientific approach to understanding reality.

There were a few deja vu's where I know for certain I dreamed the scene before and recognized it at the moment all of the elements fell into place. They were all totally mundane and fleeting however. I also had a few times where I felt I was being pulled by my feet toward the end of my bed by something. Another time I was looking up at a completely overcast sky and I saw a small puff of a cloud move straight down a bit momentarily, opening a small dark hole and then right back up where it was.

Type
    INFP
    When I was sixteen I spent two weeks low impact camping in the southern Rockies. It was toward the end I developed a rather hefty case of altitude sickness that nearly ended my trip early. On the night of July 3rd we were set up on the soft side of plateau reputed to be a native burial ground (you'll hear that about every plateau in the American southwest) and I got particularly feverish, or at least it felt that way. My mind was fitful all night, and right before dawn I finally fell asleep.

I won't go into what went through my head there after, but it was, to this day the most surreal collection of abstract dreams I can ever remember, the crux of which I was apparently a Union soldier sorting through a field hospital post-Civil War. I was looking for my commanding officer and meeting much resistance. Some numbers kept popping into my head, they were repeated on the doors of a boarding house I entered at one point. When I couldn't find the officer I became frustrated and I ended up on a shallow river fighting with something below the water. I eventually bested whatever was below the water by strangling it and continued to float down the river reaching a beach somewhere entirely else. There was a figure there waiting for me, who had eyes made of a clear night sky (the kind you see in the desert). The figure said something (I'm keeping private) to me and I woke up. I promptly told my tent mate, even wrote some of it down.

The next day my altitude sickness was gone, I was working on only a few hours sleep over the last few days but felt completely energized. A rattlesnake was in our path at one point cresting the side of the plateau, we were warned by other hikers who went around, but my partner wanted to see it. When we got there, the snake waited for a moment, looked at us and then left the path. My group hiked up the plateau again in the evening to watch fireworks from the top for the 4th, it was needless to say, amazing. That night I slept outside my tent, and quite soundly despite more rangers pitching ghost stories about angry ghosts on the plateau.

A few days later the trip was done and I was headed for the train back home. That's when a ranger we'd befriended said the same phrase I had heard at the end of my dream in parting and my hiking partner noted, in spooky tones, the number on our car was the one I had written down after my altitude sickness passed.

Now, I was convinced, and some even said I may have had a Vision out there in the mountains when I was sixteen... It's fun to think so twenty five years later, but the skeptic in me must admit, I had severe altitude sickness and more than likely a fever dreams was just that, I was exhausted to the point of collapse, dehydrated and likely highly influenced by my surroundings. The coincidences were however, eerie, especially when I had confirmation in another it's wasn't just my personal deja vu. Also, while a fan of history, I've never been someone engrossed by the Civil War, its the only time in waking memory I can ever recall it featuring in a dream.

Anyway, have fun with that, it's my one "supernatural experience."

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    A few times I've dreamt that a simple situation would take place and was aware of the premonition before the occurrence, so it rules out the brain malfunction between long and short term memory that is suggested as an explanation for déjà vu. It happened several times when I was nine, but is very rare now.
    I'm not convinced it isn't internal to tge brain, despite being aware of an impending slip on a wet floor once and yet I almost want to think of it as a glimpse into a multiverse of possible outcomes or time as a different structure than point to point on a line.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    Do you believe in anything that might be considered "supernatural"? Why? Any personal anecdotes (God, ghosts, etc) to share?

For those who reject all supernatural beliefs, how confident are you in humans' ability to know everything about the world through the five senses?
    No. No anecdotes. I'm not confident in general but I'm confident that there are no ghosts, ESP, and stuff like that. I believe something like perpetual motion and things that humans will never understand are possible.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.