Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Mass Panic

  1. #1
    DOA Space Invaders Champion Neville's Avatar
    Type
    Taur
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    3,579

    Mass Panic

    What happened to killer bees? I remember news stories and invasion graphics and how we were all supposed to die. I'm kinda disappointed.
    “Then there you lie like the one warm spark in the heart of an arctic crystal.”

  2. #2
    Senior Member Senseye's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    What happened to killer bees? I remember news stories and invasion graphics and how we were all supposed to die. I'm kinda disappointed.
    They went the way of SARS and before that the oil crisis. Twenty years from now you will be asking what happened to global warming?

    The point being: the media loves to get the sheeple all a'feared.

  3. #3
    DOA Space Invaders Champion Neville's Avatar
    Type
    Taur
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    3,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    They went the way of SARS and before that the oil crisis. Twenty years from now you will be asking what happened to global warming?

    The point being: the media loves to get the sheeple all a'feared.
    Nah, no chance I'm alive in 20 years.
    “Then there you lie like the one warm spark in the heart of an arctic crystal.”

  4. #4
    Member Guess Who's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    952
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    They went the way of SARS and before that the oil crisis. Twenty years from now you will be asking what happened to global warming?

    The point being: the media loves to get the sheeple all a'feared.
    A particular threat can only keep us in a state of fear for so long before it starts to lose its effectiveness, so we must be presented with new ones periodically.

    I wonder if anyone is keeping a list. I remember the concern over a nuclear war and nuclear winter, Y2K (the millennium bug) and the fear of the Earth being hit by an asteroid. I also recall a large number of hyped up potential pandemics. We are currently living with the ongoing threat of terrorism. I wasn't old enough to remember the global cooling scare and the Club of Rome's Limit's of Growth report but have heard of them.
    Last edited by Guess Who; 06-09-2017 at 02:42 PM.
    On the wrong side of history

  5. #5
    Member
    Type
    intp
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    A particular threat can only keep us in a state of fear for so long before it starts to lose its effectiveness, so we must be presented with new ones periodically.

    I wonder if anyone is keeping a list. I remember the concern over a nuclear war and nuclear winter, Y2K (the millennium bug) and the fear of the Earth being hit by an asteroid. I also recall a large number of hyped up potential pandemics. We are currently living with the ongoing threat of terrorism. I wasn't old enough to remember the global cooling scare and the Club of Rome's Limit's of Growth report but have heard of them.
    What about all the predictions of catastrophes that didn't happen, because we predicted them and made steps to avoided them? Or the catastrophes that did happen because we made a mistake and didn't perform or interpret our predictions properly? (e.g. Fukushima) or had no prediction at all. What about the predicted return of Jesus? No one has seen him for a while.

    edit: and I'm glad that we're able to moan about no asteroids having yet catastrophically collided with the Earth. If one did collide and kill us all, I'd hate to see the smug faces of those who say it could happen.

    There's a name for this kind of bias or failure of reasoning. I've forgotten what it's called...
    Last edited by scarydoor; 06-10-2017 at 11:27 AM.

  6. #6
    Member Guess Who's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    952
    Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    What about all the predictions of catastrophes that didn't happen, because we predicted them and made steps to avoided them? Or the catastrophes that did happen because we made a mistake and didn't perform or interpret our predictions properly? (e.g. Fukushima) or had no prediction at all.
    There could be some such cases, but most of the cases I see are scenarios where there is a lot of hype that completely disappears after a period of time despite no real action having been taken to address the threat.

    It does matter too much whether the threat is real or fake, addressed or not addressed. Hyping up threats is a population control technique.

    Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    What about the predicted return of Jesus? No one has seen him for a while.
    The time is not yet ready. God wanted a period for Christianity to expand. This period is reaching its end. God wants to test the faith of Christians by making it very hard to be a Christian. The world is becoming increasingly hostile towards Christianity. In future, there will be a world government that requires everyone to adopt the same attitudes and values in the name of promoting harmony and inclusiveness. It will be hostile to Christianity and persecutes Christians because Christianity is at odds with Humanism. Jesus will return after this period of persecution. It is hard to know exactly when the world government will come about, however it is clearly coming into view.
    On the wrong side of history

  7. #7
    Member
    Type
    intp
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    The time is not yet ready. God wanted a period for Christianity to expand. This period is reaching its end. God wants to test the faith of Christians by making it very hard to be a Christian. The world is becoming increasingly hostile towards Christianity. In future, there will be a world government that requires everyone to adopt the same attitudes and values in the name of promoting harmony and inclusiveness. It will be hostile to Christianity and persecutes Christians because Christianity is at odds with Humanism. Jesus will return after this period of persecution. It is hard to know exactly when the world government will come about, however it is clearly coming into view.
    Oh yeah that sounds totally reasonable. I hear that if you don't believe, then when he turns up again, bad things will happen to you.

    And you're saying that the people who say it's possible an asteroid could hit the planet, are doing so in order to make me afraid, to manipulate me into a cult-like group-think behaviour?

  8. #8
    Member Guess Who's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    952
    Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    Oh yeah that sounds totally reasonable.
    I get that it sounds crazy and that it is hard to believe that such an out there plan could possibly be true.

    Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    I hear that if you don't believe, then when he turns up again, bad things will happen to you.
    I've heard that, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    And you're saying that the people who say it's possible an asteroid could hit the planet, are doing so in order to make me afraid, to manipulate me into a cult-like group-think behaviour?
    Authorities want to scare you to make you believe that you need the authorities to protect you from those threats to maintain their control over you. They also use threats to justify a particular course of action. e.g. we need mass government surveillance to protect against the threat of terrorism.

    The threat of a large asteroid hitting the planet is small but real and the consequences would be severe if it ever did happen. The hype has come and gone. However, I don't think this can be explained in terms of the probability of it happening increasing then decreasing or humans developing the means to prevent a catastrophic asteroid strike.

    I can see how it could be explained in a perfectly innocent way. Maybe one person wrote a sci-fi novel incorporating an asteroid strike scenario and someone turned it into a movie because they thought the story would appeal to movie-goers. The success of this movie could have inspired others to make similar movies. The increased public awareness of the threat of an asteroid strike might have offered astronomers an opportunity to push for increased government funding and politicians might have provided such funding to win favour with the public. Journalists must constantly produce sensational content, so perhaps the increased public awareness of the threat encouraged them to produce stories on the issue.

    I am not suggesting that it is a conspiracy from start to finish, but I do believe that there are elites that want to promote threats to control populations and they can initiate and encourage the spread of hype around potential threats through agents in the government and the entertainment and news media.
    On the wrong side of history

  9. #9
    Member
    Type
    intp
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    827
    @Guess Who, apparently I didn't make my point clear enough. Nevermind.

  10. #10
    <3 gator's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,432
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    What happened to killer bees? I remember news stories and invasion graphics and how we were all supposed to die. I'm kinda disappointed.
    I read something recently about killer bees, actually. I think the thing is that originally when people weren't used to them, they did sting some people to death, but over time, people have gotten better about safety and avoiding them, so it's not as much of a problem anymore. However, in Latin American countries, the introduction of killer bees has made beekeeping dangerous and insecure because they're aggressively forcing honeybees out of their territories, and they've become an occupational hazard for beekeepers. As a result, there are a lot less beekeepers and the honey production of those countries has been decimated.

Similar Threads

  1. 19 killed in mass stabbing spree
    By Hephaestus in forum News, Culture & History
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-26-2016, 04:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •