Thread: "Support Animals"

DOA Space Invaders Champion Neville's Avatar
    Type
    infj

"Support Animals"

This bullshit "support" animal things is getting out of hand.

If you can't handle going to a restaurant without your poorly trained dog and its fake ebay vest you should just stay home.
    “Words bend our thinking to infinite paths of self-delusion, and the fact that we spend most of our mental lives in brain mansions built of words means that we lack the objectivity necessary to see the terrible distortion of reality which language brings.” ― Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post

If you can't handle going to a restaurant without your poorly trained dog and its fake ebay vest you should just stay home.
    There was one on my flight the other day. Wouldn't you know, self designated as first to board, requiring extra time (usually old people and infant in arms)
    I'm sure there are probably some highly neurotic people out there with a legit need, but Im also sure there are a lot of people just taking the piss, especially flying and going to restaurants alone, the latter of which I barely do myself. Hmm, maybe I need a comfort animal.
    "Jesus was not a poof and neither was he married."
    -Guess who

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    There was one on my flight the other day. Wouldn't you know, self designated as first to board, requiring extra time (usually old people and infant in arms)
    I'm sure there are probably some highly neurotic people out there with a legit need, but Im also sure there are a lot of people just taking the piss, especially flying and going to restaurants alone, the latter of which I barely do myself. Hmm, maybe I need a comfort animal.
    I don't remember talking to any passenger with a "comfort animal" that wasn't also a complete moron. So there's that. And for some reason they were always women, too. My (ex) airline only allowed comfort animals on routes to and from the US. Anywhere else in the world, and you had to put on your big girl pants.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I don't remember talking to any passenger with a "comfort animal" that wasn't also a complete moron. So there's that. And for some reason they were always women, too. My (ex) airline only allowed comfort animals on routes to and from the US. Anywhere else in the world, and you had to put on your big girl pants.
    I have a classmate that brings his fake service German shepherd to every class in her bullshit fake service dog vest. He's about six door three and three hundred pounds. He is a huge dipshit. He makes a ton of money for saying whatever comes to the top of his big, fat head. His last name is one letter off from the word "annoy". I hate him. Maybe he knows people want to murder him so maybe the dog isn't a bad idea.

Type
    INTP
    Heh. One of my cats is crazy attached to me and wants to be constantly held. He suckles, too, so I suspect he was weaned too early. He's completely chill otherwise. Quiet, lazy, friendly to strangers.

I love him dearly and feel pangs of guilt whenever I leave. I know he'd be happier hanging on me during my daily activities. When I remember others with cool outdoor cats on leashes (all the ones I've personally seen have been fantastic)....

I get fantasies of training and bringing him. I'm sure he helps me, too. If it were less of a "thing" in public, I think I would. Until then? Not worth the hassle and fight.

Unfortunately, I think there are many in my situation. So it ends up like the hitchhiker in that although many reasonable, well behaved people would participate, the image causes the only people who do to be asswhipes, which perpetuates the image even more.

Honestly, if it were common place and most pet people and their pets were well behaved, if you weren't noticed, would you be interested in training and bringing your animal?
    Don't remember changing this.

Type
    INTP
    I guy I work with filled out some papers with either the city or state to get his pit bull registered as a service dog. I forget what he called him. It was the one for emotional needs. He said he can't sleep and has raised blood pressure when the dog's not around. He did this because a lot of apartments wouldn't allow pits. I'm pretty sure he said he went to WalMart to get the vest. Wouldn't surprise me.

Years ago, I was looking for a roommate and some lady had a profile that read like sketch comedy show of nightmares. One thing listed was her lap dog service dog. I treated the inquiry like foreign visitor/just broke off my engagement, let me send a deposit w/out seeing the room scam and just ignored but then she sent a 2nd request. I kept looking at her profile and looking at her profile and the service animal really stuck out to me, so I sent a note back giving her a couple time windows to come by. She never responded. It may've been 6 mos later I was talking with some friends and one guy sorta randomly mentioned how people would try to sue & settle as a scam if the bldg mgr would refuse to show the place. These are real people who are paranoid, hoarding slobs but go around cashing in on rental complexes like slip-n-falls at grocery stores. Something just ate at me that I needed to set the appointment. Even if it would've been tough for me to lose, I wouldn't have wanted to deal with the hassle of hiring an atty to defend myself or worrying about some bogus suit on my credit report.

Type
    INtP
    I find them less annoying than most children, honestly. Hopefully it deters the morons from breeding if they can cart their "comfort dog" everywhere.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by lethe View Post

Honestly, if it were common place and most pet people and their pets were well behaved, if you weren't noticed, would you be interested in training and bringing your animal?
    Hell yes. Growing up in the country, outside of school, your companion animal went everywhere with you. They were literally that, your companion, your buddy, that dude that was always there. It made life much more enjoyable to have uncomplicated company.
    Oh fuck it, Its the 90's.