Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: App reviews

Type
    INTP
    All apps suck, for apps -- as a concept, and as a manifest blight upon civilization -- suck, categorically.

Type
    INxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    All apps suck, for apps -- as a concept, and as a manifest blight upon civilization -- suck, categorically.
    You're such a feeler.
    Siriusly Black.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    What do you define an app as? To me, it's just a mildly annoying branding word to replace 'program' or 'executable'. Jobs wanted to make sure people thought of Apple every time they booted up a program on one, so they coined the abbreviation of application. I've never considered any taxonomy to distinguish an app from any other program.
    I believe I've discovered the key to being prolific: stay busy.

Type
    INTP
    If you find yourself dodging thunderstorms, this radar app called "Raindar" is fantastic. It's dead simple -- literally all it does is display a radar overlay on Google maps. It does one thing, and it does it well. That's the kind of app that I like.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....Raindar&hl=en

My podcast app, "Player FM". It works perfectly, which is a lot more than I can say for most other apps.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.player&hl=en

I got some entertainment out of the "Physics Toolbox Sensor Suite" as well. Basically it just displays readings from all of your device's sensors (e.g. accelerometer, barometric pressure, magnetometer, GPS, light meter, sound meter, etc.). You can save as CSV. Nerd alert.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...boxsuite&hl=en

"Realcalc" is about as close as I've found to my favorite kind of scientific calculator.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...RealCalc&hl=en

"Scanner Radio" Police, Fire, EMS, with alerts for when something unusual is happening:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nerradio&hl=en

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I don't think I'll be posting in this thread very often, but I installed Grammarly and removed it the next day. I thought it would correct my spelling and stuff while translating or posting, but all it does is slow things down and sometimes even expects me to open a new window for editing. Fuck off, Grammarly.
    I played with the free version. It didn't impress me enough to consider the paid version. Less than half of what it caught is correct, but it does catch some things that my other spellcheckers do not. But still, less than half of what it gripes about is actually an error.

Then they sent me a weekly progress report. Sure, it's neat to know you're in the 98th percentile for productivity, and the 99th for unique words used among other users, but that information doesn't exist unless they are actively spying on you. A grammar checker that phones home? Fuck that, and fuck the fuckers who thought is was a good fucking idea. It's creepy is what it is.
    I believe I've discovered the key to being prolific: stay busy.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by KOI View Post
    I played with the free version. It didn't impress me enough to consider the paid version. Less than half of what it caught is correct, but it does catch some things that my other spellcheckers do not. But still, less than half of what it gripes about is actually an error.

Then they sent me a weekly progress report. Sure, it's neat to know you're in the 98th percentile for productivity, and the 99th for unique words used among other users, but that information doesn't exist unless they are actively spying on you. A grammar checker that phones home? Fuck that, and fuck the fuckers who thought is was a good fucking idea. It's creepy is what it is.
    And the woman in the Grammarly ad has a really grating vocal fry.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    Google Maps - more of a shout out than anything as I assume majority of drivers use it. Spouse and I drive many places and long distances and this has made life and stress much less. I don't think it always gives enough warning in heavy traffic about upcoming exits etc. and rely on wife to look at it and give me more time to get over - but it has improved over the years. Also, I don't trust it 100% and use a regular road atlas now and then to see if I really want to take route suggested, sometimes I don't. But overall, game changing for travel. In places without mountains or clear sky like New Jersey, cannot imagine getting around without.

Zillow etc - more websites but also have apps. If you are buying or selling houses or thinking about it you can learn much before you ever make a first call. We used it to figure out where we could live in future in very expensive housing market and reduced our search from 1 state to 1 town.

Scrivener - writing app for stuff you dream of publishing someday, many forms. This is PC/MAC thing, not phone. Have done a couple of book length things on this, bad writing is not fault of good tool.