View Poll Results: To shred or not to shred?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shred

2 22.22%
  • Don't shred

7 77.78%
  • You can shred my documents anytime

1 11.11%
  • Protest!

1 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you shred papers with your name and address on them?

Only if I'm disposing of body parts.

Type
    INTP
    I don't go that far. My name and address can be readily found so hiding that seem pointless.

All my bank statements are electronic these days so no worries there. I still get paper credit card statements though (I get them electronically too, but paper seems to come as well). I do tear anything with my full credit card number off and rip up that little strip and trash it. Beats my why the fuck any CC company is dumb enough to print the full number and not mask it but some of them still do. Bank/CC data I guard with my life but everything else just goes into the recycle bin.

I could probably go 100% paperless but I'm so absent minded that getting a hard copy (and having it laying on the table/computer desk) helps trigger me to remember to pay it. Just getting an email doesn't work as well. I see the email, but by the payment due date it kind of goes out of sight out of mind.

You are probably thinking: but Senseye, why don't you just set up auto-pay? On this front I am a paranoid grandpa. Nobody gets access to my bank accounts but me. All outflows must be vetted. I'll continue to eat some late payment fees before that ever happens. Credit card is the only one you really have to deal with on time or the interest is usurious. Utility bill late fees are generally just a buck or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    You are probably thinking: but Senseye, why don't you just set up auto-pay? On this front I am a paranoid grandpa. Nobody gets access to my bank accounts but me. All outflows must be vetted. I'll continue to eat some late payment fees before that ever happens. Credit card is the only one you really have to deal with on time or the interest is usurious. Utility bill late fees are generally just a buck or two.
    That's my mindset as well. I NEVER allow auto-pay and I don't like receiving bills electronically because I need the physical reminder of a paper bill.

DOA Space Invaders Champion Neville's Avatar
    Type
    infj
    I use it as kindling for the fireplace, grills, and smokers.
    “Words bend our thinking to infinite paths of self-delusion, and the fact that we spend most of our mental lives in brain mansions built of words means that we lack the objectivity necessary to see the terrible distortion of reality which language brings.” ― Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Type
    INtP
    I'm old enough to remember getting (and using) the phonebooks which had everyone's name and address listed.

Like you guys are shredding junk mail from places if it has your name on it? I don't comprehend this.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Oh, I overlooked the "name and address" part. You're not supposed to put envelopes through the shredder, so I don't. I don't ink over the name and address normally before recycling. For some things in the past I'd tear off the address part and tear it up and throw it in the garbage.
    My friends are Lurker, Dot, Lud, highlander, interprétation erronée, and Tlalocone. I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended. 10/2/2016 Edit: if you make your avatar a picture of my foot or feet for 30 days (45 days for GnarlFox and kali), I will accept your friend request. Send me a Notice of Intent so I can start the clock.

Type
    XNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    I'm old enough to remember getting (and using) the phonebooks which had everyone's name and address listed.

Like you guys are shredding junk mail from places if it has your name on it? I don't comprehend this.
    I do agree with this.

However, in our modern age if someone was paranoid about this they can get ride of all home lines and and make there cell number unlisted. But that too much work and still ineffective.