Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Violent Extremist Attacks London Mosque

Space Angel of the Future Scrubjay's Avatar
    Type
    XXXX

Violent Extremist Attacks London Mosque

North London incident

Despicable. Xenophoia is not cool. It's very unfortunate that there seems to be a rise in these types of incidents. It seems to be the kind of thing ISIS wants to happen.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Definite double standard from the media on this. Just last week a muslim man did this exact same thing, but we hardly heard a peep. The old 'race card' was played in defense and as usual it worked! It seems if you're not white, you can say your feelings were hurt because some nasty words were said to you and that excuses attempted murder, or in his case, running over a group on the pavement.

He got five years, which is going to be a lot less than this new guy gets, even though it's the exact same thing, although there has been a death.

This same thing happens this time and it's terrorism apparently.

Also, with the Manchester bombing, it was "not all muslims" and "don't look back in anger" and love and acceptance reported by the MSM mouthpiece, now it's "xenophobe, terrorist, evil, working class right-wingers [all of them]"

Double standards.

Also, it's pointless using the Guardian as a news source, it's not news, it's just propaganda all the time. It's the left version of Fox news.
    Last edited by Limey; 06-19-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Type
    XXXX
    Well, I was hoping we could just discuss the event without using it as political football, but evidently that's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    Definite double standard from the media on this. Just last week a muslim man did this exact same thing, but we hardly heard a peep.
    I heard plenty about it, even from sources like MSNBC. Don't know what news you've been watching.

The old 'race card' was played in defense and as usual it worked! It seems if you're not white, you can say your feelings were hurt because some nasty words were said to you and that excuses attempted murder, or in his case, running over a group on the pavement.
    Umm, I don't remember anyone excusing that or saying that it was ok. I could definitely imagine some ultra far-left types saying it, but I don't hang around such people. And actually, I've heard a lot of Muslims condemn it. I happen to know a lot of Muslims in graduate school, and none of them support terror.

It's weird that you can't do the same thing, and a little unnerving. It almost seems like you support what happened, but I hope I'm wrong.

This same thing happens this time and it's terrorism apparently.
    Because it is terrorism? Why should the race or religion of the person matter in determining whether something is terrorism? Are you really arguing that if someone reads a Sam Harris book and gets motivated to blow up a church, that shouldn't be called terrorism? Frankly, I'm glad that mainstream society has stopped applying a double standard in that matter.
    Also, with the Manchester bombing, it was "not all muslims" and "don't look back in anger" and love and acceptance reported by the MSM mouthpiece, now it's "xenophobe, terrorist, evil, working class right-wingers [all of them]"
    As well as it should, because violence shouldn't be supported, even if it comes from people who look like you.

Also, it's pointless using the Guardian as a news source, it's not news, it's just propaganda all the time. It's the left version of Fox news.
    That's a classic fallacy, using the metric of who said something as a means to discredit information rather than the content of what was actually said.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubjay View Post
    It's very unfortunate that there seems to be a rise in these types of incidents. It seems to be the kind of thing ISIS wants to happen.
    Sure, and the same was true with 9/11. Those who benefit from conflict want more conflict.

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    Sure, and the same was true with 9/11. Those who benefit from conflict want more conflict.
    I don't understand why more people can't see that. I guess self-righteous belligerence is popular no matter what your belief system is, or even if you don't have a belief system at all.

Type
    INTP
    I don't understand why more people can't see that. I guess self-righteous belligerence is popular no matter what your belief system is, or even if you don't have a belief system at all.
    Perhaps those who want conflict are becoming adept at pushing our buttons. If so, the same approaches that are used to limit influence of commercial messaging - if any - may be effective.

My hunch is treating most 'terrorism' as normal crime and leaving it to law enforcement would be better than continually waving it in our face and creating an enormous security apparatus (or perhaps repurposing an enormous security apparatus).

Type
    INTP
    It's counter productive, as this kind of revenge type strike just stirs up more shit (which is what the terrorists want). It's not totally unsurprising though.

Still, Limey has a point, this guy should be painted as a crazy outlier (same as other extremists) but there will be a disproportionate hue and cry about evil white attitudes.

Type
    INTP
    Obviously part of the larger plan to incite race wars.

I don't buy it. The only race I blame are the blue bloods.
    "One need not destroy one's enemy. One need only destroy his willingness to engage"

- Sun Tzu

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    Perhaps those who want conflict are becoming adept at pushing our buttons. If so, the same approaches that are used to limit influence of commercial messaging - if any - may be effective.
    Just don't look?
    My hunch is treating most 'terrorism' as normal crime and leaving it to law enforcement would be better than continually waving it in our face and creating an enormous security apparatus (or perhaps repurposing an enormous security apparatus).
    Yes, but that would require not running around like chickens with our heads cut off and both parties like having that kind of security apparatus around.

Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    It's counter productive, as this kind of revenge type strike just stirs up more shit (which is what the terrorists want). It's not totally unsurprising though.

Still, Limey has a point, this guy should be painted as a crazy outlier (same as other extremists) but there will be a disproportionate hue and cry about evil white attitudes.
    No, he doesn't. In contrast to the other terrorist attacks, Trump has said nothing about the attack on London. Who could be a bigger influencer than the President of the United States?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    Obviously part of the larger plan to incite race wars.

I don't buy it. The only race I blame are the blue bloods.
    I think it's more like it satisfies a lot of people to cause violence and act out on their rage. And of course, one act inspires a counter action and so forth, in a never-ending feedback loop.

Type
    INTP

I think it's more like it satisfies a lot of people to cause violence and act out on their rage. And of course, one act inspires a counter action and so forth, in a never-ending feedback loop.

He's white, so he's not a "terrorist", he's just "jobless and mentally unstable"

We're all being played.

May and Macron plan joint crackdown on online terror

British PM and French president to tackle radicalisation with fines for tech companies that do not take action

French President Emmanuel Macron speaks with Prime Minister Theresa May during a bilateral meeting at San Domenico Palace Hotel in Taormina , Italy.

Theresa May will attempt to reassert control over the political agenda by agreeing a new counter-terror strategy with the French president, vowing to fine tech companies such as Facebook and Google if they do not step up efforts to combat online radicalisation.

The prime minister and Emmanuel Macron will launch a joint campaign on Tuesday to tackle online radicalisation, a personal priority of the prime minister from her time as home secretary and a comfortable agenda for the pair to agree upon before Brexit negotiations begin next week.

In particular, the two say they intend to create a new legal liability for tech companies if they fail to remove inflammatory content, which could include penalties such as fines.
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...radicalisation
    Last edited by Sinny; 06-21-2017 at 08:28 AM.
    "One need not destroy one's enemy. One need only destroy his willingness to engage"

- Sun Tzu